Pod Your Reef

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

In case you missed my update on the first page. Here's a little pictoral history of the tank.

Tank Progress:
2/9/13
fts1020913_zps655c4f6a.jpg
1/28/13
FTS1012813_zps99fc9956.jpg
1/5/13
Jan052013FTS_zps8ccd3205.jpg
12/1/12
FTS120612.jpg
11/14/12
fulltank111312.jpg
10/24/12
fts1024122.jpg
9/20/12
FTS092012_zpsde159b5b.jpg
8/21/12
082012fts1.jpg
8/8/12
bestFTS080812.jpg
7/17/12
newrocksfts2.jpg
Moved to a house tank crashed
7/14/12
IMG_3971.jpg
5/30/12
FTS2.jpg
5/7/12
e4c17ad5-1.jpg
4/15/12
FTS041512.jpg
4/2/12
75fts2040212.jpg
1/30/12
IMG_3382.jpg
1/3/12
IMG_3138.jpg
12/10/11
IMG_3001.jpg
11/21/11
IMG_2912.jpg
7/29/11
IMG_2472.jpg
6/27/11
46dc3e42.jpg
5/6/11
IMG_2294-1.jpg
4/6/11
0f5bf410.png
3/30/11
b0e87e44.jpg
  • Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I hope they will. I tried to give them plenty of space. It can actually be tough placing corals with shelf rock. The flat surface is great but without adding levels to view corals you can easily block the view of another.

The pink palys are growing like crazy lately. They are actually growing on the underside of the shelf.

babys breath when I got it

IMG_1843.jpg

green and gold favia when I got it

IMG_2195.jpg

top down of both when I got them

IMG_2206.jpg

when I put them together

faviagrowntogether.jpg

babysbreath.jpg

a shot with both in the pic

c164a991-0408-457d-961d-2585584ab5c5_zps

rightside022113_zpsdeedc500.jpg

I figured I would share this video I found of the ATI LED powermodule that is coming out. There are a few but this gives a good example of the LEDs prior to the T5s lighting up. Two channels of T5s are dimmable and 4 channels of LED are each dimmable (B, RB, W, red). Looks pretty nice. If I downsized to a tank I would consider one of these. I did get a quote from PICO on a 30x18x18 tank but the wife would have to warm up to this idea first.

I actually killed a ton off yesterday with kalk paste.

That is tyree pink lemonade. It's always been in a tough spot to photograph.

How long have you had the Tyree Pink Lemonade? My first piece grew like a weed, but I lost it in the tank move. The second I got is a painfully slow grower.

This one has been slow growing. I have had it close to 5 or 6 months. I think if I had it higher up I would probably get better growth out of it.

So the wife has come to agreement on a place for a tank and a downsize. The tank would go in the corner of the dining room where the tank is currently (not my choice but keeping a tank vs no tank I'll take this option). So since this will be in a corner I was thinking of these options:

a deep blue 60 gallon cube

a deep blue 30 gallon shallow

or a solana.

All of these options would be good and wouldn't take up too much space in the room. A lighting change would probably happen with these as well.

I lean towards the shallow. I've done it before and I could really do it well this time around. What's the general consensus on which tank should I go with here.

I also wanted to point out that deep blue has put out some new tanks. They now have a 74 gallon tower tank (24x24x30), a 21 gallon shallow cube (20x20x12) and a 34 gallon shallow (36x18x12). None of these are options I would go with for the place I'm putting the tank.

I vote for the 30g shallow, though I really did love my 60g cube. Any of them are good choices though. So the tank move is a for sure thing? What equipment changes will you make? Will you still run the Ca reactor?

It's a likely move.

Still working the details out right now. I would need to find a stand. I have found an inexpensive deep blue 30 that is not reef ready. I would likely do a 700gph glass holes overflow and separately drilled return line. This would actually take up less room in the tank than the reef ready model and at a cheaper price. I'm still working out details on a sump and a new skimmer would have to be bought. Looking at something like a Bubble Magus NAC7 skimmer. I would still use my MP40 (or could trade for an MP10) and my existing MP10. I would probably pick up one of the shields for the vortech to keep from sucking in air from the surface. I would still use my calcium reactor and controller setup.

Lighting is still questionable. The wife doesn't want something quite as bright. I've thought about using one of my existing reflectors to save cost. I've also thought of these three options: 1) A giesseman Bilux light 2x250, 2) A dimmable six bulb ATI, or 3) A gen 2 Radion. The Radion I like but am not crazy about initial cost and question coverage on the 24x24 area.

The tough part would be deciding what to keep and what to sell for livestock. Most of the corals could stay but sadly I would probably have to sell my clowns.

The Radion I like but am not crazy about initial cost and question coverage on the 24x24 area.

I have had no problems with my gen1 radion covering a 24x24 area in the 60g cube I had or the 40g (24x24x16). Initial cost sucks, but it is a great fixture. I also disagree with some of Ecotech's policies and ways of doing business, but what can you do? You might be able to find a gen1 cheap and send it in to upgrade it?

Not much of an update. I have taken biopellets offline on my system as a precaution. The pump stopped running on my reactor so no peellet movement. I wasn't sure how long it was like that but the pellets had not turned black. They have been offline for about a week. I've been selling off some frags and stuff to make some cash.

I'm still working with the wife on a solution that allows me to downsize the tank. I think I would like to do a deep blue 30 shallow with a nano overflow to save on space in the tank. I really think I can pull something off nice like kayleen has with her indo reef. I've been able to locate all the materials needed at a good price and can do some equipment swaps to make it all work. I would really like to do a radion gen 2 or radion pro on a tank that size. It would satisfy the wife by not having such a bright light running and me by having a new toy. If I can get her to agree I may see if I can arrange a trade of tank/stand/sump to the LFS for a nice chunk of credit that I can turn around and use on radion.

Do you have any tips on starting biopellets on a system ? I purchased the same reactor you were running. I have some nitrates that I can't seem to get to go down.

Any idea what corals you are getting rid of with the reduction in size? I like your plan BTW. Can't wait to see it in action.

Thanks it's about the size of a softball all around and I'm just glad I could finally get a good pic of it for a change. It's hard to photograph because of how close to the light it is placed.

Any idea what corals you are getting rid of with the reduction in size? I like your plan BTW. Can't wait to see it in action.

I'm not sure yet. I'm going to try and hold onto as much as possible that will fit and leave it open rather than a box of corals.

Archived