Top Shelf Aquatics

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. Hopefully they will show up this week and not be delayed again.

I've been kicking around the idea of setting back up my old 20H or a small rimless tank like it. My clowns drive me crazy with kicking sand around and I wouldn't mind moving over my acans, a favia or two, and my lobos. I would keep it strictly LPS with maybe a milli or two. If decide to do this I think I will give one of the 15K Kessil A150W LED lights a try for it. I like the size of them just not sure of the color on them yet as I haven't seen it in person. I'm not completely trusting of a video or pic based on how well LED's photograph. Just an idea.

Well I got notified on my fish shipment. The red headed wrasse was DOA so I will be refunded. The blue star leopard that arrived was a standard leopard wrasse. The potter's arrived fine. I told them I would take the leopard and the potters so I will probably pick them up on Sunday.

The potters wrasse looks great. Unfortunately my Xmas wrasse doesn't think so. The Xmas wrasse beat him up a bit for 5 minutes before the potters retreated to the sand. Hopefully some lights out treatment and time will help the situation. Either way I don't expect the potters to emerge from the sand much the next couple days.

The other leopard wrasse is being quarantined before I can pick it up.

Hopefully the potters will emerge today. The tank is covered so I know that he didn't jump out. I haven't seen him since the first five minutes he was in the tank on Saturday and now it's Wednesday. When the light came on Saturday the Christmas wrasse went to town pecking him. Hopefully when he emerges the Christmas wrasse will not bother him. I'm more worried about the Christmas wrasse doing harm than the six line that I have in the tank.

I finally got a chance to see my potters wrasse this morning. He was cruising the tank while the lights were out. First time he's been out in a week. Now hopefully the Christmas wrasse doesn't give him a beat down if he comes out when the lights are on in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I added a new copperband butterfly today. He is already eating frozen foods. Really cool fish. I've seen my potter's a few times today but my Xmas wrasse is still picking at him. I'm at the point where my Xmas wrasse may need to be moved out.

I was looking tonight to see where my new butterfly was sleeping and happened to notice something very interesting. I noticed my maroon clowns huddled together near the back corner near the overflow. When I looked I noticed about 50 or so eggs attached to the overflow. Pretty damn cool after having this pair for a couple years. I haven't seen the male a bunch lately and it seems he has been watching the eggs. That's a pretty cool unexpectedted surprise.

Excuse the poor lighting and aptasia(that's what the new copperband is for). I'll get a better shot with lights on and my camera. You can see the eggs on the black overflow wall by the clowns.

animalmaster6

Wrasse problems. Wrasses can be the biggest problems to deal with. Hopefully the Christmas starts being nice.

Congrats on the Maroon Clown eggs. Very cool.

Wow man. You have picked up some great fish. Copperband butterflys are pretty awesome imo. I hope you can get a vid or pick of the potters sooner or later.

BTW, your maroons laying eggs is cool... but the only thing I saw in that video was all the aiptasia! lol, you gotta get on that man. Still, congrats on the mated pair.

Yeah, I got the copperband to help out on the aptasia (hopefully). That spot happens to be the largest cluster of aptasia in the tank. I have one video of the potters but he is a little banged up from a rock or the christmas wrasse.

Here he is:

Nice colors on it! It will figure out that there is a wall of glass there eventually lol. I just ordered a M. meleagris. I should have it in sometime this week or the next.

Thanks. I almost got one of the meleagris when it was shipped in place of a bipartitus I ordered.

The potters was out early this morning so I tried to feed him but didn't notice him eating anything. Hard to eat in the dark I guess. I tried because I never see him with the lights on in the tank and the xmas wrasse is a fat pig that has become king of the tank.

The copperband is really cool. I'm not so sure he is eating aptasia yet but I do see him picking at the rocks probably for feather dusters. He hides behind the rocks a bit and tends to be a little on the shy side. He's definitely inquisitive when he is out and about the tank.

Looks like the eggs have hatched but are long gone. I don't see the movement in the current of the eggs now, only what looks like empty egg casings. I had no intentions of raising them but it will be interesting to see if they continue to lay eggs.

Thanks,

I still have the redbugs. I've never quite gotten around to treating them yet. I don't really worry about them killing off my SPS. They tend to irritate more than kill SPS and I have had them for quite some time it seems. I do plan to treat for them at some point but just need to do something about it and move my shrimp and hermits.

This weekend I plan on getting my biopellets running again. I'm having some issues with algae growing now that I'm feeding a little more frozen food. I plan to cut back on the feeding a bit and set the reactor back up or order a new one by reef octopus for better movement on the pellets. I've got some bacterial additive to help culture and kick start the media.

Here is a sample video with the new case. Excuse the aptasia (copperband isn't doing it's job) and the camera light, it was at night. It's pretty cool being able to take this thing underwater.

I hit the jackpot today. I bought a naoko fairy wrasse. They usually run around $200. I paid $50. The store I bought him from was selling him as a whipfin wrasse. He is without a doubt a naoko wrasse. Totally psyched for this pickup.

I'm going to give a couple days with the naoko in a breeders box. I want the others to see him and the xmas wrasse to not bother him when released. Such a beautiful.

Side note. I have gone more minimal on the left side of the tank. I think it will look great when done. Gonna work at it some more this weekend to keep from stressing the coral too much. I may do away with a colony or too to make it easier and get the desired look.

Archived