Top Shelf Aquatics

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

Thanks. It's actually a frag mag that keeps them on there. They will eventually grow on to the overflow.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. You may have to check back a few pages but if I remember correctly it was the marineland Monterey series stand.

Traded in my large rock of palys for store credit today. I almost picked up a blue spot leopard wrasse female with the store credit I got for it. Still debating. May have to head back for her.

The short time I had the palys now has green palys and bright yellow sponge growing on the back glass.

Went ahead and cut a new stand pipe that's 1 1/2" longer than the stock return. It has made the overflow dead quiet now. So nice now.

Where did you get that idea? :P

I actually had thought about it in the past but couldn't get the fittings off the pipe. I didn't want to force them off fearing they were cemented on the pipe. I was happy to hear they came off so easy for you and had to try it again. I did like knowing the right length to cut before doing it though. It makes a huge difference. I still want to work on the plumbing around the sump.

Tonight I ordered a nice little tool for dumpster diving and looking for the diamonds in the rough. I ordered a 21 royal blue led flashlight. It's a nice under $20 item that should help me find some nice diamond LPS hidden by horrible lighting. There are some nice deals to be found. $50 lobos or favias that are easily as nice as some of the $250 ones out there.

Works like I thought it would. Dumpster diving at Richmond aquarium this weekend. Just don't look into the light. It will put your eyes out. I can see how these things bring down planes.

7ebd4549.jpg

12b32c84.jpg

9a3c52fa.jpg

03ab1e6f.jpg

I'm also looking into buying a mr aqua 12 gallon long for my acans and some LPS. It would be led powered and dimmable.

Builder Anthony

I remember dumpster diving at this one petstore.They would get like 400 pounds of fiji live rock in and throw out a bunch of small broken peices.After a while i have some real nice small rocks.I also found a few crabs which i thought was a very bad trhing on there part for throwing them out.I found a bucket of live sand too with a big hermit crab in there alive in the middle of winter.It made me mad seeing people throwing out things that were still alive.

I'm not literally going to go through the dumpsters just to be clear. They have horrible lighting and I've found some really nice lps for a fraction of the price anywhere else. Can't argue with $200 lobos for less than $50.

I'm not literally going to go through the dumpsters just to be clear. They have horrible lighting and I've found some really nice lps for a fraction of the price anywhere else. Can't argue with $200 lobos for less than $50.

where is this place? i've never been.

It's tucked away off Hull St. near genito rd. They don't have much but they get some nice lobos sometimes that you would never know were nice. The lighting is horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is doing well and I'm starting to see some growth on my corals. It is overdue for a water change so that's on the agenda for tomorrow. I did manage to short out my mp10 driver when my skimmer slightly overflowed. I had to order a new one so I just upgraded to the wireless ES driver from the mp10. It should give me some more options and now both vortechs will work with the apex.

I traded a frag of my blue milli today. In return I got a pair of three month old 250 watt mogul radiums. Can't wait to throw them in and see how much better I like them than the reflux.

I will never buy another bulb again. Perfect color.

Awesome.

I wish I had gone with dual 70W halides on the reef but the power consumption of the LEDs is pretty hard to argue with.

I might look into them on the next tank if Solatubes aren't an option.

Looking forward to more pictures!

phi delt reefer
20 k radiums. The reeflux 20k were much more white.

just a POSSIBLE FYI steely - the 250w 20k radiums are supposidly harder and harder to get a hold of. I think they stopped production possibly so whatever stock out there is it. 400w radiums are still a plenty :)

I dunno if this is just a rumor though..

Archived