Coral Vue Hydros

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

I'm looking at making some fish additions. A nearby (not quite local reefer) is setting up a store soon but has vendor connections already. This person is providing some major deals for the club and I think I will take advantage of it. I'm probably going to have them pick me up a christmas wrasse, potters wrasse, and a male and female maldive's lyertail anthias. I can get all four for under $100 so it's a great deal and no shipping to add in to the costs. Probably going to take advantage of the deal. It should add some activity to the tank.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you getting a Fiji christmas wrasse(Halichoeres claudia ) or Hawaii christmas wrasse(Halichoeres ornatissumus)? The six line will kill the potters wrasse and the christmas wrasse in a small tank. I would take out the six line if you want to keep a potters wrasse and christmas wrasse.

Here is my Halichoeres claudia, he is about 7'' long.

P1010750.jpg

If I go through the order it is for the ornatissumus. I prefer the claudia but they are both very similar in size, pattern, and diet.

Thanks. Things are hitting that sweet spot now. Bird of paradise, my unknown acro colony on the left and my hulk tort look bigger by the day. I credit a lot of it to the radiums and my pH running a little higher the last month or so. I can only imagine what it will all do when my calcium

Reactor gets set up. Still waiting to move before setting it and my biopellet reactor back up.

Happy with all the growth though.

Looking great steely. And when you get that calcium reactor, growth should soar even more. I'm thinking that higher ph will definitely help.

Thanks. I really haven't kept an eye on it lately. I got off track with adding Kalk to my top off but got back on track lately. The pH has been higher the last month than it had in a while so definitely helping.

Thanks. I really haven't kept an eye on it lately. I got off track with adding Kalk to my top off but got back on track lately. The pH has been higher the last month than it had in a while so definitely helping.

Same here, I was stuck with 7.8ish for the longest time and now that I got a CO2 scrubber attached to my skimmer intake the ph has risen to 8.3. After reading the acidifiction article in the last coral magazine, I was more aware of the possible negative effects on a coral.

Picked up a Christmas wrasse today (H. Claudia) at the LFS. Spent a little more but got the variety I wanted. Aggression in the tank hasn't been bad either. Just a little tail flashing but no nipping. He's about the same size as the female clown so thats good.

I also moved some corals and finally replaced my dead green bird nest. I will see how the new placement goes. Love the new fish and I'm anxious to see him get adjusted.

It may be a ornatissmus. Either way I'm happy with the purchase. He looks great isn't intimidated by anyone. He flashes his reflection all the time.

Here are some more pics and maybe a video of the tank later.

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

lots of growth

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

not a great shot but cool

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

feather duster corner, soon to be someones meal

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

tuxedo with his green star polyp cap

IMG_2537.jpg

new guy, love him

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

Thanks. I'm going to place my order tonight for some new fish as soon as I get my pricing.

I'm going to add a potters wrasse and a male and female blue star leopard wrasse. If money permits a mc coskers

Looks like only the potters will arrive this week but for $30 I can't complain. I've inquired about a black leopard wrasse but haven't heard back on pricing. I have to wait a bit on the blue star leopard pair but it's worth the wait for $90 for the pair (male/female). I think this will round out my stocking plans for this tank. I like the idea of the leopards although difficult to feed they do tend to be less prone to jumping liking coris, flasher, and fairy wrasses.

I have a decent pod population now but will probably go ahead and order some live copepods and amphipods to further build the population.

I've not been real big on assessors. I've mainly looked at the addition of wrasses for activity in the tank, color and personality which is hard to match.

The christmas wrasse has been a great addition for movement and nobody in the tank has a problem with him. I see him flashing himself all the time when he sees his reflection on the glass.

Current fish in the tank are:

Two maroons (male and female)

orchid dottyback (p. fridmani)

blue and yellow damsel (forget the variety)

starry blenny

sixline wrasse,

clown goby

christmas wrasse

The addition of the potters wrasse, a male and female blue star leopard wrasse will start to get the numbers up in this tank.

I would like to add two maldives lyertail anthias or some other variety of wrasse (maybe a black leopard or red velvet fairy) but I fear I might be getting into the overcrowding stage. I may just have to see how things look in terms of zones (bottom dwelling, mid water column and such) to not over crowd one area too much.

Nice stocking plans. Can't wait to see your leopards in the tank.

What grain of sand are you using and do you wrasses seem to have problems with it if they bury themselves? I ask because I am trying to figure out what sand to get for my new build that will be wrasse safe and not blow around with 2 mp10s and a mag7 that my sps want.

Thanks. I'm using about 80-90 lbs of Aragamax Oolitic Select Sand: 0.5-1.02 mm grain size. 2-3" depth in most places that the clowns haven't dug out.

Checking out some pricing info on 3 other wrasses (probably will only add one of them to the 3 leopards coming)

Cirrhilabrus exquisitus male (exquisite) I would love one from vanuatu or africa

Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus (pink margin fairy wrasse)

Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis (orange back fairy wrasse)

Labout's fairy wrasse wasn't available unfortunately.

I also picked up all the materials today to make a screen top finally. I will have to deal with birdnetting for now until the clear netting comes in from bulk reef supply. I will feel so much better by adding the screen top.

The tank has been doing great and growing well lately but discovered some unwanted pests today.

I found red bugs crawling around on two of my blue acros. I guess the two or three treatments I did a couple months ago did not get rid of them. I'm going to have to find a home for my cleaner shrimp and hermits before treating with interceptor.

No fish additions since the christmas wrasse. The supplier couldn't get my leopards in on time. On a better note a red headed wrasse (Halichoeres rubricephalus) has become available. I'm thinking of getting him along with an exquisite fairy and a line spot flasher. Still waiting on the potters.

Starting vacation this weekend. I will probably start my red bug treatment sometime Wednesday. I need to find a home for the hermits and shrimp before I start. I may have to set my old 20 up for a hospital tank.

Starting vacation this weekend. I will probably start my red bug treatment sometime Wednesday. I need to find a home for the hermits and shrimp before I start. I may have to set my old 20 up for a hospital tank.

Good luck getting rid of those buggers.

Not a hard treatment really. Just don't want to kill my shrimp and crabs.

Red bugs aren't that bad to be honest. You can live with them but they will irritate smooth skinned acros and as a result reduce polyp extension. Corals will still grow.

Archived