Coral Vue Hydros

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

Thanks. I'm happy with it. I'm just tinkering with a few things to get my parameters all set. Set it and forget it style. I may try an experiment tonight though. Since you often have a decrease in pH when using a calcium reactor I may try this. I may run an air stone at the point in the sump where the effluent drips. I want to see if this will combat any CO2 added to the system from the effluent. If anything it should add more surface turbulence that can introduce oxygen to the water and possibly increase the pH. It would be an easy fix. I'm content with my alk and calcium levels but want to increase my pH. This may also help with night time drops in pH. I will post my findings.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up a few small goodies today. I picked up a porcelain crab to host my maxi mini. Such cool little guys.

The new acan tank is looking great now. They seem to be doing well under a single par30. I need to add a second to that tank. I added a couple peppermint shrimp to take care of some aptasia for me. I may add yasha pistol pair to that tank as well.

Porcelain crabs are really cool. Mine has survived for two years and eats whatever I drop in for my fish. It is currently filtering the spawn of something that hatched in my tank tonight. It sits in my encrusting gorg all day chilling.

I'm loving the porcelain crab so far. He hasn't left the maxi mini yet. I felt better with him there than adding sexy shrimp. I was afraid my christmas wrasse might eat something as small as the sexy shrimp.

The tank is running pretty clean now. The cleanup crew and biopellets are doing the trick along with the tang. Algae has greatly reduced and so has slime algae. I'm still feeding a mixture of cyclopese(every couple days), mysis (daily), spirulina (daily), and pellets (about five times a week). I like to feed everything first before feeding the mysis so that the butterfly gets plenty to eat. The others would eat the mysis before him otherwise.

My Acan tank is looking good which great considering a single par 30 is lighting it. It need some more light but the corals are doing great. I'm considering ordering a mr. Aqua 33.6 to replace the 20H. I like the rimless look so much and the extra width would be nice. I would have to do something about a stand though.

Thanks man.

Finally got a shot of the porcelain this morning. Now off to the store to pick up a coco worm for some extra movement.

porcelain2.jpg

porcelain3.jpg

I added a coco worm today. I'm glad I did. It added some nice movement and contrast with the white/pink color.

Still looking to pick up some tyree undata, tommy knockers, and some Hawkins enchinata. Trying to replace some old favorites that I lost.

I took advantage of the 24 hour sale at marine depot last night. I'm going to treat my Acan/LPS tank right. I purchased a kessil A150W in the 15k color for it. I wasn't looking to go all out on a more expensive LED fixture at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks. I would say it would be enough of an improvement over a single par30 and should give enough coverage for the 20H. Depending on how much I like it I may replace the 20H with a mr. aqua tank.

Picking up some new goodies today. Replacing old lost zoas. Picking up some dragon eyes, bam bams, fire and ice, and some radio active dragon eyes. All are around 20 plus polyps so they should help fill in some holes.

Zoa additions look great. They did a nice job of filling in some rock areas. I will try and get some updated pics tomorrow.

My clowns are beat up today. The female has a wound on her side. I believe she may have hit herself on a rock or coral when chasing the copperband butterfly. Its the only fish she constantly chases for unknown reasons. Tonight I noticed the male has a torn looking dorsal fin. Not sure why. She laid eggs yesterday and I think she becomes more aggressive around the times that she lays eggs. Hopefully they both heal up. I will have to keep a close eye on them.

I'm going to break down and buy a polarizer for my camera. This tank gets a lot of reflection on the glass that is hard to overcome when shooting. My pics should improve then.

Quick note. You can see the growth over the last 1 1/2 months in these photos. You can really see it in the tricolor (growth/color), birdsnest, milli, and coralline.

11/21/11

IMG_2950.jpg

12/10/11

IMG_2995.jpg

1/3/12

angleview.jpg

Gotta love that growth. Love my calcium reactor.

My mr. aqua tank was delayed so I should be picking it up today along with my kessil 15k light. Looking forward to seeing the kessil.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my water tested this weekend to get an idea of what may be causing the bleaching of my maxi mini. It's gone from green and purple in the center to yellow and yellow in the center. The water is super clean.

alk 10.5 dkH

calcium 340 (I'm adding tropic marin bio calcium to get this in the 420-450 range so everything will be an equal parts distribution by the reactor from here out)

nitrates 0

mag 1300

I'm going to probably move the maxi and porcelain crab to my small tank. There is no filtration other than rockwork there so he should get his color back. I've been hearing they prefer slightly dirty water. The biopellets have taken all the nitrates out of the water even with 1-2 time a day feedings for the fish.

Thanks. I've got to move the contents of my 20H over to that tank. Here is what it looks like now in the 20H. I want to keep it as mainly a lps tank.

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

I love that collection of ACAN's. I need to start in on mine. I'm saving a few locations in my tank for acans just can't seem to find any local that have the colors like these.

How long have you had the coco worm? That's another thing I would like to have but have heard they don't live long in clean systems.

Thanks.

I have had most of the acans around a year or so but don't really feed them. The grow pretty quickly when I feed them. The other reason they haven't grown as much is they were in my 75 and the clown constantly covered them in sand. The other tank is great for highlighting them. I picked most of my acans up on ebay like reefpets, austin aqua farms, some other site, and pacific east. Pacific east has a good selection if you look for some. I may pick up a few more select colors from them some time soon.

I think it's been about 1 1/2 months on the coco worm. The tank runs really clean with my biopellets so I feed the tank daily and sometimes more. I try to feed cyclopese a couple times a week and some of the reefcleaners filter feeders formula once a week. I try to keep the coco worm and my gorgonia happy.

Archived