Coral Vue Hydros

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

I don't make it down to Va Beach often but if you are ever in the Richmond area let me know. I'll see if I can hook you up with some frags.

I use aqua mags. They are a great company and Jim who runs it is local. He's a great guy. Check out there site Adam.

Tank is still growing. I looked tonight and my large tricolor colony on e overflow is only about 2" from the front glass. It's grown a lot since adding the calcium reactor and looks much better.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleaned up a bit today. No more frag rack in the tank. Moved my gorgonia down. Moved my blue iris and bird of paradise. Finally mounted my red planet and joe the coral. Like the look right now and love no frag rack.

The maxi and porcelain crab have been moved to the 20 for now to hopefully color up.

I'll try and snag some pics in the coming days.

The fish seem to like the new layout. The main reason for moving my gorgonia down to the sand was to remove a rock with birdsnest on it. My clown has two or three scars from the last month of chasing the copperband butterfly. She has scraped herself on rocks or coral so I figured I would put something a little softer in the way rather than something jagged. The tang seems to like the new spot and swims right through the gorgonia.

The other corals look good in their new spots. The mp40 was blasting a bit of tissue off the tip of my blue iris so I dropped it down to catch a little less direct flow. The red planet took it's spot and seems to like the flow. The polyp extension I'm getting on my joe the coral is fantastic now. It seems to like the spot it's in and the increased flow. The overall layout looks cleaner. Just need a few more zoas to spice it all up.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Everything has been growing like crazy over that last two months. My large tricolor colony is going to be running out of real estate soon. It's got about 2" before it grows into the front glass.

I've been working hard on getting all my parameters set. Current parameters are:

pH: 7.8 at night 8.1-8.2 during day

Nitrate: not detectable with the biopellets and I feed daily

Phosphate: 0.05 (gonna work on dropping this, may try some type of phosphate remover or cutting back on feeding some frozen)

Alkalinity: 10.5 dkH

Calcium: 380

still slowly bringing up my calcium by adding powdered calcium, reactor should then keep everything in check since it adds equal parts alk and calcium

When I say things have been coloring up, this is a prime example

Color differences

now

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

month or so ago

IMG_3026.jpg

couple months ago

IMG_2480.jpg

Thanks guys. I wish had some better shots. Most of my shots are rushed so they don't turn out so hot. It's also difficult to take some top down shots with two giant reflectors showing up on the water surface (polarizing lens or not). I had to go back and try and find stuff with close to the same perspective for growth.

I will try and take a side tank shot to show how close that tricolor is getting to the front glass. It originally came off a massive mother colony (2ft x2ft) at the LFS over a year ago. They lost their colony and many other in their display tank with the week long power outage of the last hurricane. I'm just glad I have it still.

Thanks. I would have to say setting up my calcium reactor at the start of December and starting up my biopellets again. I wasn't dosing more than just kalk in my top off before December. The biopellets have allowed me to feed 1-2 times a day and still have zero nitrates. Phosphates are pretty low at 0.05 right now also.

Just a combo of stable calcium/alk and low nutrients. Better colors and polyp extension as a result.

Archived