ReefCleaners.org

Help PicO Aquariums build a better mouse trap!

cdelicath

Very nice. This may be premature, but would the skimmer be a custom acrylic piece, something off the shelf, or a top secret unobtanium-invisible-skimmer?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am shooting for a plug and play layout with the media tray or complete baskets. The media tray would be attached to the flow adjustment and be removed via the thumb screw. If the media basket where purchased as a add on it would come with a new flow adjustment plate to channel water into the drop in basket.

The skimmer pictured is my rough idea added for placement purposes. Due to size restriction i think i may have to go with a stone skimmer but if I can make it fit I would love to make a tunze style or best case stock the Tunze skimmers as a addon

5426353330_abb1bb309e_z.jpg

5425749735_5deb8be872_z.jpg

5426353234_00a1c932e3_z.jpg

The ATO, media basket and skimmer would be a addon. The mount areas would be there in place for DIY or if you just wanted to buy the addon and put it in place. This would also give me the standard needed to allow others to develop addons. I still need to crunch numbers on chamber sizes but this is the basic idea of what I am shooting for.

What do you guys think about the Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002?

9002.000.jpg

This would be for the larger models and I am trying to find information on MAME skimmer for the smaller units but may end up building a similar unit for the smaller tanks.

The Hydor Slimskim Nano should be looked at also. It's a fair bit cheaper than the Tunze ($105 was the cheapest I've found so far for the Hydor).

make it out of acrylic, not glass. problem solved, imo, lol.

Possibility.

I contacted MAME Design to find out cost and order requirements but I suspect the cost will be more then most are willing to pay. I may pick up a Hydor for testing. I am on my way down to put together a prototype of the design I posted earlier in a 15" DB and I will get some pictures on here later.

Got a Hydor Koralia Nano-Skim on the way for testing and good news I should be able to bring them in at about $105-115 to be competitive with the other guys and save on shipping.

After looking more into the footprint I think they may be a winner.

The Hydor Slimskim Nano should be looked at also. It's a fair bit cheaper than the Tunze ($105 was the cheapest I've found so far for the Hydor).

But the Slim Skim Nano, because of its overflow design, needs a water level of at least 10" to work, right? It seems like that would eliminate a lot of your smaller & shallower tanks. Does the Tunze need the same thing? And though smaller skimmers in general get bad reviews, I haven't heard anything bad about this AquaticLife one. It's cheap too.

I'm trying to find out what the exact minimum water level is on that skimmer (Hydor). I my hunting around the net, I haven't seen a clear answer other than "water level should be midway on the intake grid". I'm going to take a look at one at my LFS this Friday when I go to get my rock and sand for the Manta.

EDIT: Well after a little more digging, it looks like the question has been answered by our very own Hydor rep here on NR. Looks like it needs a minimum of 11" of water to operate. I'm hoping that's not 100% true though.

True the use of the hydor will be for the larger tanks. I am going to fool around with a MAME type skimmer build if no one beats me to it and I am also waiting for them to get back to me with distribution info on the MAME units but I don't expect many people would want to pay $200 for that which I believe is the word on the street for cost. I also have access to the Tunze skimmer but it needs a wider footprint." may work better for the Ray's"

Archived