ReefCleaners.org

Help PicO Aquariums build a better mouse trap!

cdelicath

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point. Changed my mindset.

:lol:

I will also get moving on bringing back the stands. I need to find another local builder.

Already working on a skimmer design as of last night and The ATO units are not far behind.

Media baskets

Glass tops

fuge light

what else am i missing........

I think it is best to have a few units that cover 90% of the market. Add accessories to satisfy that last 10% of people.

On a side note, I love the look of your aquariums and everyone seems to love them but I am a bit put off by the price, especially considering that there is no light. I understand that they're hand-made and custom...

i do think you should make the slots that let the water into the sump smaller and add more because small fish can get sucked through them. (i learned that the hard way) :(

I think it is best to have a few units that cover 90% of the market. Add accessories to satisfy that last 10% of people.

On a side note, I love the look of your aquariums and everyone seems to love them but I am a bit put off by the price, especially considering that there is no light. I understand that they're hand-made and custom...

building in bulk will help with the price a bit but because I am not a large manufacturer profit is very slim and this is not a full time gig for me. But everyone will be happy to know the profits go back into PicO and one of these days I may be one of those big companies. But in the meantime just remember you are helping to support a growing business. Trust me I wish I could out price everyone.

i do think you should make the slots that let the water into the sump smaller and add more because small fish can get sucked through them. (i learned that the hard way) :(

Hey Weeber good to see ya!

The inlet fins are 1/8" now and if I remember correctly you had one of the 1.0 orca's with the larger openings.

I can send you out a new Orca with the 1/8" inlet for the trouble sorry for the loss buddy.

Just PM me..

Unfortunately theres just not enough time for both. If I decide to cut the custom stuff and develop specific models the product will be far more superior actually and all the add on options could become a reality.

I would have more time to develop and build the production units the way they should be built.

My main concern is crossing that line where producing the product quickly and cheaply becomes first over the needs of the community I build them for. I would rather see 4 or 5 really great aquarium styles then one or two custom tanks but as our good friend Joe Dirt reminds us "It's not what you want, its the consumer..." :lol:

I think you should stick to the 4-5 designs, and offer customizable options for them. Even 4-5 tanks could end up with 8-10 different layouts: for example, you could have a standard rectangular tank, but turned sideways for those who want a peninsula style. Basically, make standard glass sizes and customize the acrylic. I could be wrong, but it seems like a lot of people (myself included) have ideas about fuges, media and other stuff, but aren't too specific about the exact dimensions.

For example, nano tanks basically come in three standard tank sizes: 6/8 gallons, 12/14 gallons, and 28 gallons. And yet several major companies (JBJ, Oceanic, Current, etc) pretty much stick to those sizes. Those three sizes still support a bunch of companies that do custom work (Nanotuners, InTank, etc.), none of which change the tank size.

jmo, but...

stick with the quality workmanship - seems as though the common sentiment among your customers is just how pleased they are with the detailed build.

it's the build to order process you have as well as the pride you take in your work that has me set to order a deep blue 15 from you....

building in bulk will help with the price a bit but because I am not a large manufacturer profit is very slim and this is not a full time gig for me. But everyone will be happy to know the profits go back into PicO and one of these days I may be one of those big companies. But in the meantime just remember you are helping to support a growing business. Trust me I wish I could out price everyone.

I totally get it.

I also agree with what DP said. Add options for skimmer, fuge and lighting and stick with three standard pico sizes.

Stick with a few models and offer add-ons or options as time and money allow. If you build up a stock of 5-10 and somebody wants a custom order and you have the time, then by all means make some $$$. 90% of the people will be satisfied with a stick PicO and an option or two

Thanks guys this is the feedback I was looking for. Are there any styles/sizes you all think I am missing out on currently that you would like to see added?

Thanks guys this is the feedback I was looking for. Are there any styles/sizes you all think I am missing out on currently that you would like to see added?

Just focus on making them as sleek as possible. And make sure it is easy to add lights, skimmer, etc as the end user customizes things.

Thanks

Deleted User 6

Maybe nanotuners can cut you a deal where you can sell a pico with their picolamp as a package deal? it'd be pricey, but bundles like that could do well methinks.

Before going and customizing everything, maybe look around to see if there are products that are in the market that fit with your tank already (like the picolamp). Might be an easy way to add some more features without having to do the work.

My interest is more directing people to Nanotuners and letting them develop lighting to fit the tanks. I already send everyone there way for lighting I am just waiting for the ok to start direct linking from the site to products they offer. I would love to work with Evil and Chris to develop lighting for these tanks and I think it would be in the best interest for both of us. With the change to a set product line and set dimensions it will open up the door for outside development. That's why i'm adamant about getting this design right this time :P It's going to be a late night I am going to try and knock out a few designs on sketchup.

I will be getting another one of your tank's in the Future but my job has me away from my desk in the near future, thats what happen with the Barracuda sat on my dest for almost 4 months with just someone adding water every now and then, but when I get more time I will get one. I really like your tanks. you do almost all the work for me I just need to add water and lighting. Good Luck

Make a deeper version of the Ridge. Other than that, I agree with the others. Perfect the lineup now. It offers something for everyone. Once I save up the cash I'll snag a ridge 24 :)

I feel that there is not much of a market for tanks under 3/2.5g... I don't remember which that is...

BTW I love the manta ray line!! :)

I wish your tanks were cheaper, but I just don't have enough money to buy pico aquarium tanks... However, I am always impressed with your work, and have never heard a bad word about your tanks.

Archived