Top Shelf Aquatics

Help PicO Aquariums build a better mouse trap!

cdelicath

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One day I'm going to add a Mame skimmer to mine.

19344-1.jpg

These are not readily available here in the states yet? I just heard about these a few days ago. So im not up to par on them.

Deleted User 6

I wouldn't expect them to be readily available for a few more months - and I'd expect the price to be b/t 100-200 from estimates I've seen.

Would you guys like to see optical top off units or float switches? Optical units are likely to be in the $150-$200 price range but I thought I would ask. I should be able to make a floatswitch kit for about $40-60 depending on the inclusion of a topoff pump.

This has been a long time coming with the redesign. My main concern with these is to keep things simple.

I would love to add accessories to go with the tanks. Lids are available for all tanks and I suppose I can bring back the ATO units. having a skimmer for some of the larger models would also be a potential option.

Earlier this year I removed alot from the website to concentrate on the tanks and keeping the quality up.

Hell I still have over 100 3w LED's and optics sitting in a box :bling: If you guys would like to see me bring back the ATO's and start working on a skimmer I will find some time to get it done.

Feedback

5411876411_c790405e7f_z.jpg

5412487352_118bab8f5b_z.jpg

5412487334_b719b2a61e_z.jpg

The tray would be adjustable to allow you to set the display height this would allow for the addition of other high flow pumps also

I like the way you have that set up. Nice and simple.

Adding accessories is cool, but if it starts to eat into the time you need to concentrate on building tanks, then it might not be a good thing. With this only being a part time gig for you at the moment (although I'm sure it feels full time :)), tanks should be priority one. If this goes well, and you do this full time, then accessories will be welcomed with open arms. Instead of doing it yourself, why not farm the work out to someone else? I'm sure thecowkid, or Stevie-T could do the work in acrylic for the ATO chamber for a decent price.

Deleted User 6
Instead of doing it yourself, why not farm the work out to someone else? I'm sure thecowkid, or Stevie-T could do the work in acrylic for the ATO chamber for a decent price.

it's almost scary, right cd?

from my PM to cd earlier:

Have you ever considered partnering with someone like StevieT (just for example - TCK also does acrylics) for the acrylic work?

I would rather see Steve take care of the mediabasket side of things. I need to provide a standard design first. with the way things are laid out above I think it would be much easier to mod in a mediabasket. And yea d are you and evil sipping the same koolaid today or what?

I have to say that an ATO would be an awesome accessory. Whether you supply them yourself, or farm the work to someone else. I've been mulling over design options for two months now on how to gracefully incorporate one into my ridge. PicO Aquariums are like ADA tanks, they're so clean and beautiful so you don't want to add anything to detract from them.

The tray would be adjustable to allow you to set the display height this would allow for the addition of other high flow pumps also

I, too, think this design is great. My only recommendation would be in regards to the size of the media basket itself - I think most reefers use Chemi-Pure Elite or Purigen in their media racks. So, I would think a media rack that can hold 3-5 oz. would have the broadest appeal.

I think adding a ATO port stock to all units is a great idea. That would allow you to DIY or purchase a kit as a accessory. As far as the skimmers goes i do like how simple the layout is on it and I wonder if something similar could be done in plastic and still work well.

I think any nano/pico "all-in-one" should have the following:

1) ability/room to add some sort of skimmer without difficulty

2) easy to add an ATO, STRONGLY prefer an optical water sensor

3) fuge area "pre-prepped" with light available

4) all of the above without looking like a science fair project, it MUST look sleek

Some combination of a pico aquarium and a nanotuners LED setup is in my future . . . providing things are heading in the direction stated above. Otherwise, I will probably go with an Elos mini or midi.

almsfan:

is there something im missing? why would you spend $100-200 for a glass tube and a jar?

I didn't. Dhaut had mentioned it. I just inquired about his post about the MAME skimmer.

Deleted User 6

Smith, got any pics of it in action? Skimmate?

I'm serious about getting one.

Also, I agree about the media basket. Currently i have chemipure elite sitting in the bottom of C2. In a basket with guaranteed flow through it would be better I think.

Smith, got any pics of it in action? Skimmate?

I'm serious about getting one.

Also, I agree about the media basket. Currently i have chemipure elite sitting in the bottom of C2. In a basket with guaranteed flow through it would be better I think.

I can do the media baskets no problem. Another add on!

Would you guys like to see more of this true AIO like with all the addons and more specific models or more custom work?

If I give up the custom work and invest that time toward specific models like those I have already come up with it may give me more time for addons in house and possible instock ready to ship units.

What do you all think?

I'll get some pics of it in action tonight. I like the custom work, unless one model was very popular then i would make a couple at a time. If you concentrate on quantity more than quality that's when things go downhill. No saying that will happen, just saying.

I'll get some pics of it in action tonight. I like the custom work, unless one model was very popular then i would make a couple at a time. If you concentrate on quantity more than quality that's when things go downhill. No saying that will happen, just saying.

Unfortunately theres just not enough time for both. If I decide to cut the custom stuff and develop specific models the product will be far more superior actually and all the add on options could become a reality.

I would have more time to develop and build the production units the way they should be built.

My main concern is crossing that line where producing the product quickly and cheaply becomes first over the needs of the community I build them for. I would rather see 4 or 5 really great aquarium styles then one or two custom tanks but as our good friend Joe Dirt reminds us "It's not what you want, its the consumer..." :lol:

Archived