Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help PicO Aquariums build a better mouse trap!

cdelicath

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NUWildcat928
Hey NU

Theres's no Ship To: address in your user profile. Login and go to the Account Maintenance on the shop page right side where you just signed in. You will need to add a shipping address for your account. The address you added was a Bill To: address. I can add it manually if you need me to.

You've got PM. Can't get it to work even with manually entering shipping address and creating a new account.

Deleted User 6

So, do we have an air pump recommendation for either unit? I'm looking for something as quiet as it gets and yet strong enough to make the skimmer perform at its best.

I used a million air via aqua 200 for testing if that helps.

So, do we have an air pump recommendation for either unit? I'm looking for something as quiet as it gets and yet strong enough to make the skimmer perform at its best.
  • 2 weeks later...

I really love these, and kudos to you for making them happen! These tanks caught my attention back when wawawang set one up for a QT.

I am thinking of ordering a Manta Ray 12 (to replace my Picotope), and was curious as to whether an AquaticLife 115 skimmer would fit in chamber 1 - I read the thread and it seems you never got one in to try. I already have one, and if I can fit it I am going to use it - if not, I am going to order the Glazer single-tube skimmer....hell - I am tempted to order it anyways just to try it, plus it looks great, but I have 2 of the AL 115's running on a 10 and 15 and they work well for me.

Also, how close are the ATO's to completion?

I really love these, and kudos to you for making them happen! These tanks caught my attention back when wawawang set one up for a QT.

I am thinking of ordering a Manta Ray 12 (to replace my Picotope), and was curious as to whether an AquaticLife 115 skimmer would fit in chamber 1 - I read the thread and it seems you never got one in to try. I already have one, and if I can fit it I am going to use it - if not, I am going to order the Glazer single-tube skimmer....hell - I am tempted to order it anyways just to try it, plus it looks great, but I have 2 of the AL 115's running on a 10 and 15 and they work well for me.

Also, how close are the ATO's to completion?

In a stock MR the water height is about 7.5"

Glazers skimmers are a perfect fit. Rear chambers can be customized a bit for you if needed but to take advantage of the add-ons you would want to keep the stock sizes. The ATO units are delayed a bit.

I am thinking of ordering a Manta Ray 12 (to replace my Picotope), and was curious as to whether an AquaticLife 115 skimmer would fit in chamber 1 - I read the thread and it seems you never got one in to try.

I'm not sure how the Manta Rays fit the Barracuda and Manta Ray are both listed as 3" depth - but I got an Aquaticlife 115 in the back of my Barracuda. Sort of. The problem isn't the unit itself, it's the brackets. The unit itself is 3" wide, which fits just fine, but it won't fit with the brackets on it. The brackets are unfortunately necessary, because they hold the two halves of the unit together. The top one fits, as it's above the edge of the tank. I have not yet found a solution for the bottom bracket. I'm considering either A) breaking the bracket into three pieces, and only installing the 2 pieces that are absolutely necessary, or B) siliconing the whole thing together (as someone suggested in another post).

Well, it looks like that clinches it...single-tube Glazer skimmer it is. Thanks for the quick reply CD - thanks goes to you too DPR!

I am thinking that without the media basket I can have a somewhat larger refugium section (I like using chaeto), so I am hoping the JBJ LED Nano-fugelight (since I already have one) will work with the back cutout. I will probably hang a bag of carbon off of the notch in the last baffle. The tank does come stock with one small media tray for floss correct?

I also can order an ATO later if needed, but I am hoping that with the glass top that evaporation will be significantly reduced.

What model Rena airpump would you recommend for the skimmer: 50, 100, 200?

Well, it looks like that clinches it...single-tube Glazer skimmer it is. Thanks for the quick reply CD - thanks goes to you too DPR!

I am thinking that without the media basket I can have a somewhat larger refugium section (I like using chaeto), so I am hoping the JBJ LED Nano-fugelight (since I already have one) will work with the back cutout. I will probably hang a bag of carbon off of the notch in the last baffle. The tank does come stock with one small media tray for floss correct?

I also can order an ATO later if needed, but I am hoping that with the glass top that evaporation will be significantly reduced.

What model Rena airpump would you recommend for the skimmer: 50, 100, 200?

200 Rena and yes it comes with a standard media tray for floss.

RayWhisperer

Assuming cdeli didn't change the chamber sizes, the JBJ nano glo fits in the middle chamber. However, I had to do it sideways. with the magnet in chamber 1. That's on the deep blue 12. I'm guessing that the larger models would have wider chambers. Cdeli would have to confirm this.

Thanks CD - will see if I can find a Rena 200 locally. I hope that there is enough room for a heater and the Glazer skimmer in chamber 1, if not I will have to put the heater in chamber 2.

DPR - actually, based on some quick measurements, the AquaticLife 115 would probably fit in chamber 1 (3.25" by 3.25"), but just barely, leaving no room for a heater and probably little room for the skimmer intake, so efficiency might suffer - the entire chamber would be filled by the skimmer.

RW - according to the layout provided on CD's website, the middle chamber is 4.75' wide, and the optional media basket is 3.75" wide and 5+" long - the Nano-glo is only 3" wide and 5" long, so it should fit, I just hope it does not get in the way of the single media tray. I guess I am also hoping it is enough light for chaeto in there with it too. I have it running on top of an AquaClear 70 and the chaeto does not grow as well as in a similar setup in my office with a 14W full-spectrum spiral CF - I just don't like having that aluminum dome fixture on top of the filter for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks all!

There is a window in the back for a light to mount outside and shine through. You could also check out SteveT' s shop for his fuge lighting. It's small and would work well for you.

Thanks, but it looks like he only offers the JBJ Nano fugelight, which is what I am planning on using. After taking a look at his site however, he did have one good hint with regards to using that light (and its interior magnet) with a media basket - place the magnet in chamber 1 so that the media basket can be used and removed without the interior placement magnet getting in the way. I like that, but the magnet may take up valuable space in chamber 1 if I want to put the heater and single-tube Glazer skimmer there.

I may just stick to my original plan to forego the 3-tier media basket, but now I am thinking of getting the media basket so I don't have to hang a bag of carbon in chamber 2 or 3 (plus the media tray would be better for efficiency with carbon than just hanging it). The magnet for the JBJ fuge light is not very thick (7/8"), so maybe if I have it in chamber 1 I can still squeeze a heater next to the magnet.

What do you think - can I squeeze the single-tube Glazer skimmer and a heater (Theo 50W, 1" dia?) in chamber 1 of a Manta 12? The first chamber is 3.25" x 3.25" and the skimmer is said to "measure 3" from glass to front", which may not leave me much room in the first chamber for anything else - although there looks to be more room available according to the pic on your website.

I guess my problem is whether to grab this tank with a media basket or not based on me wanting to use the JBJ refugium light (and have a chaeto refugium) and keep a heater out of chamber 3. If I forego the media basket, I have less limitations on the heater and light as they both can be wholely in chamber 2 if there is no more room in chamber 1 after using the skimmer. What do you think - should I just keep it "simpler"?

Thanks again!

There will be enough room for both a heater and the single tube Glazer in chamber 1.

As far as the light goes you can always just add a light to the outside in the back. Many people just get a small under cabinet light from the hardware store. Does SteveT not sell the little pill like drop in fuge lights anymore?

Well, if you think there is enough room in chamber 1 for both a heater and the skimmer, then I will get the tank with the media basket, glass top and skimmer. Thanks for your insight! Now to get home and put the order in!

As for StevieT's fuge lights - I did not see them on the website, only the JBJ LED refugium lights. Although I have never used one of the drop-in lights, I would prefer not to use a submersed light and simply use the JBJ external light, plus I already have one.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, its ordered...I will try to post some pics when it comes in - maybe I will actually do a build thread for once!

Hi, zooman, did you receive you tank yet?

Archived