Cultivated Reef

15g Rimless Reverie: The New J-Ranko Nano

J-Ranko

this probably isn't a relevant issue anymore, but i 100% disagree with this statement. i have both an mp10 and a tunze 6025 (modded). both before and after the mod, the 6025 was very, very quiet, and i couldn't hear it across the room while i'm sleeping. meanwhile, i'm on my second mp10, and, even in night mode, the mp10 can be heard across the room. it is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

Well, I wouldn't say the mp10es is silent, but mine is quite enough that I can sleep undisturbed even with no "white noise" to drown it out.

also, re: radium -- i've been running a 150w DE radium for about 8 months, supplemented by 2x 24w T5HO ATI Blue Plus bulbs... when i just run the radium by itself, it looks very white, but it also still develops color better than other bulbs i've used. It doesn't look like other 20k bulbs i've seen.

From what I've gathered it runs bright white on most ballasts, including mine. It appears the 250w and 400w Radiums put out much more on the actinic end of the spectrum compared to the 150w DE, so those higher-watt bulbs run bluer.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this probably isn't a relevant issue anymore, but i 100% disagree with this statement. i have both an mp10 and a tunze 6025 (modded). both before and after the mod, the 6025 was very, very quiet, and i couldn't hear it across the room while i'm sleeping. meanwhile, i'm on my second mp10, and, even in night mode, the mp10 can be heard across the room. it is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

Thats interesting Tim as I haven't had any issues with my mp10 in the noise department...I had an mp20 and mp40 in the past and they were both noisy beasts. But my mp10 has been totally quiet unless it's in pulse mode.

also, re: radium -- i've been running a 150w DE radium for about 8 months, supplemented by 2x 24w T5HO ATI Blue Plus bulbs... when i just run the radium by itself, it looks very white, but it also still develops color better than other bulbs i've used. It doesn't look like other 20k bulbs i've seen.

I totally agree with you about the radium. I find that it's very white when compared to other 20k bulbs. I have a phoenix 14k that I think I'm going to switch it with to see if it's that much of a difference.

Haven't had a chance to post close-up shots of my other corals lately, but here's one:

redacan.jpg

The shot above shows it in an unusual position. I normally have it higher up on the rock. But apparently my turbo snail knocked it down again and I thought it was in a rather photogenic position. :lol:

Haven't posted an FTS in a while, so here's one I took today:

FTS_013111.jpg

Yesterday I reworked the scape on the right side, so some of the corals are still closed up (especially the Duncan). A few days ago I also took some of my larger sps colonies and fragged them. I have a tiny frag rack on the left side of the tank, which I've conveniently cropped out of the picture. ;) I think I'm going to set-up a larger sump and create a "frag tank" section in there, since I don't want to clutter my display tank with a frag rack.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the new coral placement, so several pieces might get moved around some more.

First time looking at this thread. Just skimmed over the whole thing.

Wow, your tank is beautiful!!

Thanks, gutterguy!

This.

Thanks, hype. Can't wait to see your FTS! :D

Well, I wouldn't say the mp10es is silent, but mine is quite enough that I can sleep undisturbed even with no "white noise" to drown it out.

well, ya -- the "ramp up" is what is distracting. when i'm sleeping, i just put it in night mode and it doesn't bother me. and, it usually turns to white noise when it's just running at a constant rate.

i guess my point is that, with the Tunze 6025, you have to have your head directly next to it to even know it's on. In my mind, the two aren't close when it comes to noise.

Nice Tank..Love your monti cap.. :happydance:

Thanks! That cap is starting to get too big, though. I repositioned it so that it might grow the other way without shading my other corals.

That's unreal man!

Such a wonderful coral..even cooler if you can see it during the day. Great stuff.

Awesome photo as well.

Thanks, d9hp! It's the brightest looking coral in my tank, really eye-catching from a distance because of the bright yellow polyps. I was lucky to get a healthy specimen from my LFS and it only took a light coaxing with food (especially cyclop-eeze) to get it to fully open in daylight.

awesome scape J. i like your diy mame, hopefully the real mame comes in soon! i wanna get my hands on it too! :P

The real MAME is at least two months away. I missed the last window of opportunity to buy it from aquatouch and from what I've read it won't be available again even in Japan until March.

Nice shots J.

Thanks, hype!

Now if my tax return is big enough I might just get me a DSLR, a few major upgrades, and some more corals...the spending never ends. :lol:

I've been working on a new sump over the last few days. So yesterday I finally got a chance to change out my old 5.5 gallon sump for a bigger 10 gallon one. It has a much larger space for a skimmer (13.5in x 10in footprint), but for now I'll set up that extra space as a temporary frag tank.

Here it is empty and inside the stand:

emptysump.jpg

Now filled with water and everything but the skimmer and the phosban reactor:

newsumpfilled.jpg

I wanted to get an even bigger sump, but as you can see the 10 gallon is pretty much the biggest the stand can accommodate. But the new skimmer section footprint should be more than enough for what I have in mind, e.g. SWC 120/160 or BM NAC6.

The tank is looking awesome J!

Thanks, A.M.!

Thumbs up nice scape. Awesome to find someone who feeds alot and still keeps a clean look.

Thanks--oddly enough it was my sps and acroporas that responded the best to the increased feeding. They colored up much better.

Hopefully soon I can get my hands on a camera with a macro lens to get better close ups.

MySafeWordIsWhiskey

This is a really beautiful tank.

I am trying to make your DIY MAME. I am a plumbing newbie and I have a couple of questions.

How did you get the 1/8 inch union in there?

Are you using an aqualifter or something similar to maintain siphon? If not, what is attached to that 1/8 inch union(if anything)?

Thanks.

really really nice tank, love the simplicity.

Thanks, man. You've got a pretty good looking tank, too.

This is a really beautiful tank.

I am trying to make your DIY MAME. I am a plumbing newbie and I have a couple of questions.

How did you get the 1/8 inch union in there?

Are you using an aqualifter or something similar to maintain siphon? If not, what is attached to that 1/8 inch union(if anything)?

Thanks.

You have to drill the PVC to get the union in there. I only have a check valve attached right now. The siphon is primed by applying a vacuum on the line (e.g., with a syringe), but you can also use an AquaLifter pump. The 1/8in line goes all the way to the sump since it siphons water as well (albeit very slowly).

If you want it to work just like the MAME, then attach another 1/8 inch union on the return line and connect the two unions together. When I first tried to copy the MAME, I thought the water flowed through the union at the top from the overflow to the return, but it seems to be the other way around. I haven't tried that configuration yet but it just may work. I'm pretty happy with how it works at the moment so I don't feel the need to tinker. :D

Archived