Innovative Marine Aquariums

15g Rimless Reverie: The New J-Ranko Nano

J-Ranko

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amazing tank.

Thanks, Macron.

This is going to be great. TOTM sometime soon. Just keep it this clean forever. Great work.

Thanks, AJ. I'm planning on some major livestock additions this month--I'm thinking several frags, a small clam and maybe a couple of fish too.

I finally got my tax refund in yesterday, so now it's just waiting and selecting the right stuff as they become available at my LFS or online.

Awesome shot J!

Thanks, hype. That was probably one the sharpest photos I got with my P&S. Too bad it still pales compared to the sharpness/focus you could get with a DSLR.

Great shot. Love your tank. Was the reason I wanted a 15, but got a custom tank thats 6" wider.

Thank, JT.

Bought a new acro from my LFS--a pink jade acro:

pinkjadeacropora.jpg

Top-Down Shot (you can see the wave distortion in the reflection of the light fixture)

pinkjadeacro2.jpg

This acropora has a very subtle color, very beautiful to behold up close but it doesn't "scream" with colors like others.

You can see my other acros in the picture--a blue-tip tenuis and the blue oregon tort, which is hardly any bigger than when I bought it.

I got three new frags yesterday. Here are some shots I took this morning:

Blue Mille (overhead view)

bluemille1.jpg

It's still on the frag plug, but pretty close to its final position. I'll glue it in place in a few days.

Red Blasto (overhead view)

blasto2.jpg

Just a single head/polyp, but it's a nice one. Hopefully it'll grow into multiple polyps pretty quickly.

Blue Mille (another angle)

bluemille2.jpg

The mille frag is pretty small, but they're supposed to be fast growing so in a few months it should be a nice mini colony.

I'll post a pic of the third frag (a chalice) later when I can get a better shot. It's tough getting decent close-ups of tiny little frags without a DSLR+macro lens.

Here are some shots of my Aussie duncan. It looked really bright and colorful this morning partially closed-up, so I took some shots. It's grown into a pretty big colony since I got it last year. It's now a multi-headed monster.

Here's a top-down view with some really cool fluorescence:

duncantop.jpg

And here's a view from the front:

duncanglow.jpg

I've been thinking of fragging it for some time but I really like how it looks as a large colony.

Nice shot! I love how the tentacles look on that species of duncan

Thanks, hype. The tentacles are only partially extended in the shots I posted. The duncan is sometimes fully extended. But the colors show up best when it's just partially extended.

Your tank looks so good man! Love that jade frag.

Also, your birdsnest and monti make me undeniably jealous.

My blasto has grown like 15 new heads in 3 months...hope yours does the same!

Your tank looks so good man! Love that jade frag.

Also, your birdsnest and monti make me undeniably jealous.

My blasto has grown like 15 new heads in 3 months...hope yours does the same!

Thanks, Dustin! I have had the birdsnest and the monti cap since May of last year (in my former 10 gallon), when they were just tiny frags. Glad to hear about your blasto--I hope mine grows just as fast.

Looks incredible j. The growth you have is ridiculous..

Thanks, hype. My oldest corals have shown the most growth. The biggest colonies in my tank--the duncan, birdnest, and monti--were added to my former tank (10 gallon) almost one year ago and have shown the fastest growth I've ever seen.

Just out of curioustiy, how much did you pay for your duncans?

I bought the Duncan from my LFS about a year ago for $60, when it had about eight large polyps. Now it's way over 30 polyps!

FTS Plissssss.... :P

+1

I'll post one some time this week. Thanks! :D

Nice additions J, it'll be fun to watch them grow out.

Thanks, Patrick. All my recent frags are supposed to be fast-growing so I hope they'll double in size in a few months!

Huge skimmer upgrade:

ronwb110.jpg

With my bioload getting bigger and my feedings getting heavy, this baby should be a big help.

Huge skimmer upgrade:

ronwb110.jpg

With my bioload getting bigger and my feedings getting heavy, this baby should be a big help.

Awesome upgrade j....let me know how she performs.

Archived