Coral Vue Hydros

15g Rimless Reverie: The New J-Ranko Nano

J-Ranko

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this is an awesome tank. I love those two new acros man. Great finds.

I'm sure the skimmer can suck up all that skimmate again! It did it once...right?

Any chance you can post the schematics for the overflow?

Sure will. I'm working on 3D renders so it'll take a little bit longer. ;)

Man this is an awesome tank. I love those two new acros man. Great finds.

I'm sure the skimmer can suck up all that skimmate again! It did it once...right?

Thanks! They've been at my LFS for a while but at the prices they were charging, they weren't selling. This weekend they had the ice tort for 55% off and I took it and ran.

I added some carbon and made sure the skimmer's secure. But I still got a little bit of algae growth on my sand bed. :angry:

Well, I was afraid this was going to happen one day, and it finally has. This morning while I was feeding my fish, my sixline wrasse attacked my clownfish. It nipped at my clownfish's left pectoral fin, biting off a small triangular chunk. Luckily the "chunk" it bit off is very tiny and my clownfish is largely uninjured, active and eating.

Up to this day, there have been some chasing and intimidating from the wrasse, but never an actual physical attack. I took my chances and lost, I guess.

So now the sixline wrasse is getting flushed down the toilet (figuratively speaking!). :angry: Too bad, it's such a beautiful fish, but I like my clownfish much more and I want to be able to add another fish one day.

I'm in LOVE... absolutely beautiful ~ great job

Thanks! Good luck with your new 15 gallon tank. (I do not recommend having a sixline wrasse unless it's going to be the only fish in your tank! :lol: )

Here's a couple of pics showing the damaged fin:

clown1.jpg

clown2.jpg

Nothing major, but it's obvious the wrasse is only getting started.

I've set up a trap for it. I don't intend to chase it around the tank with a net--too difficult and messy.

WOW. this tank is beautiful. have you experienced loss of color on your Red Planet?

Thanks! I've only had it for a week, so there hasn't been any noticeable change yet. From what I seen in various tanks, Red Planets turn mostly pink and lose some of their green color under intense lighting, while they retain their greens under more moderate lighting. Given it's placement in my tank, I expect the frag to turn slightly more pink.

Great scape man.

Thanks!

Speaking of which, I had to change the scape just a little bit because I had to remove the sixline wrasse. I finally caught it tonight and it's now in my sump, awaiting its fate. :ninja:

Cool, wish i had the stones to go rimless, i really love the nature aquarium style, but my favorite fish are all jumpers. That overflow is great too.

Here's a few of the renders I made of my overflow. You can find the detailed write-up and more pictures in the DIY thread I created over here.)

Overflow segment:

PAME01.jpg

PAME03.jpg

PAME04.jpg

Return segment:

PAME12.jpg

Overflow and return combined:

PAME_T.jpg

I got caught unprepared for this crazy snowstorm. I hope we don't lose power cause I don't want to stay up all night stirring the water. :scarry:

• 2 weeks later...
Everything looks fantastic! Haha our systems look very similar.

Thanks, ZoOk! Your tank was one of my inspirations for going rimless, so I guess that's why they look similar. :lol:

Well, I took bunch of pictures today. I took out my powerheads to clean them up, and while they were soaking in vinegar I thought I would snap some FTS:

FTS_20_wb.jpg

FTS_21_wb.jpg

FTS_23_wb.jpg

The tank definitely looks a lot better without the powerheads. I should have some money next week to finally order an mp10, which should help clean up the look.

If you noticed, I also moved some of my corals around. I took the acans off the sand bed, moved the milli behind the left rock and glued my gorgonian down on the right island.

And you'll probably notice a new fish in the tank.

Archived