SaltCritters.com

15g Rimless Reverie: The New J-Ranko Nano

J-Ranko

And now that I've got my frags in the sump, my display tank is no longer cluttered. So here's an FTS (taken this morning):

FTS_020811.jpg

Beautiful Tank and corals J! Looking clean and no clutterness. :lol:

How's that overflow working out for you. How often do you clean it out?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beautiful Tank and corals J! Looking clean and no clutterness. :lol:

How's that overflow working out for you. How often do you clean it out?

Thanks, Espresso. The overflow is working just fine. The clear tubing is where the algae grows. It takes about a month before I have to take them apart and clean out the inside of the tubings. The submerged part of the unit (PVC) grows some coralline but not that much and the snails take care of the rest of the algae on its surface.

You'll definitely want to have those bottle brushes ready for the glass MAME. Algae growth is the only thing I'd worry about if I every get it.

Here's a few close-up shots I took today of some of my sps pieces:

Acropora tenuis

acroporatenuis2.jpg

(the white area is where I recently cut off a large 2" frag)

Green Birdsnest (top down view)

greenbn.jpg

Blue Oregon Tort

blueoregontort1.jpg

It's tough getting a good close-up shot with just a P&S. But these were decent enough.

Wow nice shots J!Incredible growth and polyp extension...

Hey J what bulb are you using?

Phoenix 14k. I replaced my bulb last month and I'm holding off on making any major changes to my lighting for now.

Speaking of growth, the blue Oregon tort in the last pic is the slowest growing thing I've ever kept. I think it's grown about 1/4" in a month. :lol:

i just switched to a pheonix 14k too...my radium 20k was too white.

well some growth is better than none...ive got some frags that im waiting for the flesh to grow back on..they were in really bad shape when i got them.

i just switched to a pheonix 14k too...my radium 20k was too white.

well some growth is better than none...ive got some frags that im waiting for the flesh to grow back on..they were in really bad shape when i got them.

Even with actinic supplementation? I stayed with the Phoenix in part because I have no actinics.

Wow that tenius is insane!

I've never seen polyp extension like that on that specific species. Amazing tank man. This is definitely one to follow.

Thanks, Dustin. The polyp extension is actually a little annoying, to be honest. I would prefer to see the bare blue tips than the entire colony mostly covered by fuzzy, green polyps. :lol:

Some new shots of my lps:

Orange Plate coral

[top-down shot]

orange_plate1.jpg

orange_plate2.jpg

If only I had actinics--this plate would glow orange.

Green/Purple acan:

greenpupleacan_1.jpg

This tank is really really stunning. TOTM material imho...

Thanks, Dane. :D

+10

Thanks, hype.

I'm stocking this tank so slowly that at this rate, it'll get to be TOTM in ten years.

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. I really appreciate it!

haha :D yeah right! it be all grown out and everything is looking really great! Hit me up on a PM if u interest in a real Mame. :)

Check your inbox! :)

J, that plate is insane!!!

Thanks. It's definitely the second brightest thing in the tank (the first being the sun coral when it's all open) and really catches the eye from a distance.

This tank. Amazing.

Thanks, darkspyda.

one of my favorite rock formations...sweet job. B)

Thank you, reef-luva. I can never seem to be happy enough with the scape, though. I've changed it about 5 times since November. :lol:

New heater! Finally got the Eheim Jager 100w delivered today:

heater.jpg

Normally this would not be a cause for excitement but after the recent recall I knew I should have upgraded it a long time ago. :lol:

heater.jpg

Normally this would not be a cause for excitement but after the recent recall I knew I should have upgraded it a long time ago. :lol:

Yeah I should take my stealth in today. Looking great by the way.

I can never seem to be happy enough with the scape, though. I've changed it about 5 times since November. :lol:

My main scape remains the same, but the three or four rocks

that are in the front seem to get moved a lot as well...

...it is my under water zen garden... ;)

heater.jpg

im glad you got rid of the stealth before it failed.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah I should take my stealth in today. Looking great by the way.

Thanks, patrick. Did you get it replaced?

My main scape remains the same, but the three or four rocks

that are in the front seem to get moved a lot as well...

...it is my under water zen garden... ;)

Well, my rock scape on the left side remains the same (It's mainly one piece of rock), but the pile on the right side is what bugs me sometimes. I should just glue all the pieces together so I can stop messing with it! :lol:

im glad you got rid of the stealth before it failed.

Thanks. I should have done it a while ago but I'm such a procrastinator.

A tale of two frags:

greenpolypstag.jpg

This picture shows two frags from the same staghorn colony I've had a for a while. The one in the front (closer to the camera) has been placed high up on the rockwork in my display tank for several weeks now, and shows good color and polyp extension. This acropora staghorn has fluorescent green polyps on a pale yellow body. The frag further back (glued to a clear plastic plug) has just been taken from my experimental frag section/chamber in my sump, where it browned a bit under the inferior lighting and the polyps lost their color.

I've transferred several frags that I've been keeping in my sump into my display tank to get them to color back up. I want to eventually be able to swap/sell frags from my tank and so hopefully in a few weeks the frags I made will be ready to go.

Just chiming in on the heater business. I've used Ebo Jager heaters in all my tanks except the first one.

I never had a problem and there's a track record that's tough to argue with among most other reefers.

Glad you fixed it before I had to read a horror story about this fantastic tank.

Love your signature tank link as well...tasteful.

Archived