Cultivated Reef

15g Rimless Reverie: The New J-Ranko Nano

J-Ranko

Bro, it's about daym time you update. Wow, everything is still looking good! i need to pm you about the diy overflow.

Keep us update to date please! :)

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bro, it's about daym time you update. Wow, everything is still looking good! i need to pm you about the diy overflow.

Keep us update to date please! :)

The corals have survived despite my neglect. :lol: What happened to your cube?

The corals have survived despite my neglect. :lol: What happened to your cube?

I gave it away to Animalmaster! but i still have a small frag tank running at the moment until i can find the fund and time to work on my next project. it consist of making a diy overflow like yours and will try out my first time sump. :)

Is it super quite on the overflow at nighttime?

I gave it away to Animalmaster! but i still have a small frag tank running at the moment until i can find the fund and time to work on my next project. it consist of making a diy overflow like yours and will try out my first time sump. :)

Is it super quite on the overflow at nighttime?

Yup it's very quiet. But it's mainly due to two things: the low flow rate, and the "silencer cap". The diameter of the PVC overflow really only allows for a very slow turnover through the display tank and sump. (I would guess no faster than 50-70 gph of water moving between the display and sump.) It's great for me though because that silences the splashing noise in the sump and the flushing noise in the overflow. You can increase the throughput limit by choosing a wider PVC, but you may need to resort to other silencing measures when you increase the flow.

Thanks for all your great feedback, guys! It's been great to see the progress of your tanks, too. I have some bad (and good) news, though.

It's been less than a year but this tank is going to be broken down over the the next two weeks. I just accepted a new job and will moving to another state (Arizona) next month. I'll be selling the corals in the livestock classified forum tonight, and I may sell most of my equipment as well.

I wish I had more time in the last couple of months to take care of it, but I didn't and so my corals aren't in the best shape at the moment, but I'll have to sell them anyways. The LPS are doing fine. It's the acros that are not as colorful as they were. They're surviving though.

After I'm settled down I think I'll upgrade to a bigger nano (yes it will still be nano :lol:).

• 2 weeks later...
Arizona's not so bad :)

I know. I've lived there before. The J-Ranko nano is now officially no more. I just sold off the rimless tank this afternoon.

I know. I've lived there before. The J-Ranko nano is now officially no more. I just sold off the rimless tank this afternoon.

I'll be looking forward to the rebirth then. : :happy:

Hey,

Great looking tank. Don't you fear the flexible tubing getting hard and dissolving over time due to the lose of flexibillizer?

Cheers,

Nikolas

Hey,

Great looking tank. Don't you fear the flexible tubing getting hard and dissolving over time due to the lose of flexibillizer?

Cheers,

Nikolas

Sorry, I didn't even know there was such a thing as "flexibillizer." I just bought it from the plumbing section of my local hardware store, and as for the tube getting stiff, once the overflow is set in place, it doesn't move except for the occasional cleaning.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived