Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

15g Rimless Reverie: The New J-Ranko Nano

J-Ranko

Mr. Microscope

Here. Is this a little more accurate? If not, I can adjust it more. Let me know if you want to me remove it from your thread. Awesome tank BTW!

FTS_08.jpg

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice job here. :D

I used to use these kinds of overflows forever ago, and while they work well make sure you keep 'em clean. As they gunk up mine tended to break siphon, and well.. all hell breaks loose.

Here. Is this a little more accurate? If not, I can adjust it more. Let me know if you want to me remove it from your thread. Awesome tank BTW!

FTS_08.jpg

Thanks! It's definitely more accurate in terms of brightness. I had my camera set to avoid clipping the highlights, so that's why it was so dim. I guess I'll just have to live with an overexposed sand bed when taking pictures for now.

Nice job here. :D

I used to use these kinds of overflows forever ago, and while they work well make sure you keep 'em clean. As they gunk up mine tended to break siphon, and well.. all hell breaks loose.

Thanks!

That's one of the advantages of the MAME overflow. It's glass, so you can immediately see any gunk build-up, and it can be broken down for cleaning. I hope it becomes available sooner than later. -_-

This tank if freakin amazing!

What brand of tank is it?

Thanks for the compliment!

It's made by some Chinese dude who sells them via Aqua Pro (not to be confused with Mr. Aqua), which exports to various LFS in the U.S. Aqua Pro is a Chinese company based in Guangzhou, China. The tanks are not sold online, though. I got it at my LFS.

It's like ADA's line of Do!Aqua aquariums, which is made from standard glass as opposed to the high-clarity glass used in their ADA tanks. From what I've seen the craftsmanship is very good. The silicone work is very clean and very low profile, and the glass cut and alignment is perfect.

Thanks for the compliment!

It's made by some Chinese dude who sells them via Aqua Pro (not to be confused with Mr. Aqua), which exports to various LFS in the U.S. Aqua Pro is a Chinese company based in Guangzhou, China. The tanks are not sold online, though. I got it at my LFS.

It's like ADA's line of Do!Aqua aquariums, which is made from standard glass as opposed to the high-clarity glass used in their ADA tanks. From what I've seen the craftsmanship is very good. The silicone work is very clean and very low profile, and the glass cut and alignment is perfect.

Well you just made it look better :D

TOTM

gulfsurfer101

Nice job, I am too looking at that particular piece of hardware and I have to say you did an awswome job at recreating the basic function and not to mention your tank looks amazing with it. Any chance at getting some more info on how you did your diy since I'm setting up a small rimless and I too want the same style overflow system put in place.

Mr. Microscope
Thanks! It's definitely more accurate in terms of brightness. I had my camera set to avoid clipping the highlights, so that's why it was so dim. I guess I'll just have to live with an overexposed sand bed when taking pictures for now.

No problem. Feel free to let me know if you need any more help with your images.

Yeah, I've learned that it's tough to photograph a tank with a white sandbed and still get appropriate colors on everything. I'm seriously considering black moon sand in my next tank for that reason.

danthenewreefman

please do spread the love on that overflow. I'd love to see some close ups and an explaination.

That thing is sexy.

great looking 15g!

can you post some more close-up shots of the contents?

also-- what are you using for a sump/filtration?

finally: if you are still thinking about the mp10 but worried about noise, you could always just run it for a week as a "break in" in your 10g tank (or a bucket of water) in the garage or something, where you won't hear it.

Just a thought.

Amazing tank! You should post your design for your overflow.

Thanks! I'll post some design diagrams and pictures in a few days.

wow, your tank looks great!!! needs more SPS!

Thanks! I think I'll lay off on sps for now, except maybe a nice montipora digitata. I plan on filling the gaps in my rockwork with some zoas and LPS such as acans, and maybe more rics on my sandbed. I actually already have mostly sps, but aside from the red cap monti and the green birdsnest they're pretty dull in color.

Nice job, I am too looking at that particular piece of hardware and I have to say you did an awswome job at recreating the basic function and not to mention your tank looks amazing with it. Any chance at getting some more info on how you did your diy since I'm setting up a small rimless and I too want the same style overflow system put in place.

I plan on posting the design in few days--too bad I didn't take a lot of pictures of it before I put it to use. I never expected it would be a hit! ;)

please do spread the love on that overflow. I'd love to see some close ups and an explaination.

That thing is sexy.

Will do! Thanks!

wow i really like this set up man great job!

Thanks, man! Seeing tanks like yours gave me rimless envy! :D So I finally started one and it's such a big difference.

great looking 15g!

can you post some more close-up shots of the contents?

also-- what are you using for a sump/filtration?

finally: if you are still thinking about the mp10 but worried about noise, you could always just run it for a week as a "break in" in your 10g tank (or a bucket of water) in the garage or something, where you won't hear it.

Just a thought.

I haven't taken close-ups of the corals in the new tank yet, but you can check out individual close-ups and macro shots of them in my former set-up in my 10 gallon nano thread here.

But here's a closer look a the middle section of my tank:

PTS_01.jpg

I'm using a 5.5 gallon tank as a sump (from my old set-up). I installed some baffles to create two chambers, one to house the heater and protein skimmer and the other chamber is the return section. There I have the return pump and a float-valve for my ATO. In the baffle section I have a Poly-filter for chemical filtration. I also had a PhosBan reactor where I used carbon but I've been too lazy to replace it recently since I already have Poly-filter. I'm thinking of filling it with either GFO or even experimenting with Bio-pellets.

New coral!! Woohoo...it's an orange plate coral (short tentacle). In real life it's a very deep fluorescent orange, but here's a couple of decent pics:

Orange_Plate_01.jpg

orange_plate_02.jpg

I don't have the macro lens any more, though, so no close-ups for now.

Nice tank! Looks bigger than 15g.

Thanks. It's only 4 inches shorter than a 20H, and rimless so you get that "bigger" impression.

Awesome Job on this build J!That Pame(pvc mame :P) overflow is genius. It doesnt distract from the tank at all. Great job on the aquascape as well

Thanks, man! I couldn't get it to work exactly like the mame, but it's good enough for the meantime.

My LFS is having a big sale this weekend. I know I said I'd hold off on sps, but I might actually buy several sps or acro frags this Saturday. I'm thinking of adding a red planet, a blue echinata, and maybe a tricolor acro or a green monti digitata.

Your rimless build is beautiful! So very clean and well thought out.

I am new to the hobby, but with all of these great rimless nano builds going on, I can see why I got such a good deal on a used Aquapod12 fully stocked. :)

Your rimless build is beautiful! So very clean and well thought out.

I am new to the hobby, but with all of these great rimless nano builds going on, I can see why I got such a good deal on a used Aquapod12 fully stocked. :)

Thanks, and congrats on your new tank! Rimless tanks have been around in planted freshwater tanks for some time now, so it's interesting to see it carry over into nano reefs. Let's hope more equipment manufacturers embrace the trend and make some sleek, low-profile pumps, light fixture, heaters, etc...

I had a little disaster this afternoon.

Last night, while I was rescaping the left side of my tank, my corals were temporarily in the sump (protein skimmer section). I had removed the skimmer to make room, but stupidly enough, when I reinstalled the skimmer in the sump with the suction cups, apparently I didn't press it hard enough against the glass.

So when I came home this afternoon from my trip to the LFS, I noticed a very light build-up of algae on the sandbed. Yup, you guessed it. The skimmer suction cups came loose and the skimmer fell into the water, dumping all of its skimmate into my tank. :angry: I'm running a lot of carbon at the moment to help adsorb all that crap. I might have to shorten the photoperiod for a day or two and let the fish go hungry.

Everything is still alive and well, though. I just hope this doesn't start an algae infestation in my tank. I have been so careful with my maintenance that I've been algae free since I started over nine months ago. fingerscrossed

Anyways, not all is bad news. I bought a couple of new frags from my LFS--two acropora frags with some stunning color. And I did rescape the left side so it's looking better now.

Pics up soon...

My LFS had a huge anniversary sale today, so I bought some really nice frags to take advantage of their major discounts. I got a red planet acro and an ice tort acro:

two_new_acros.jpg

In real life, the green of the ice tort is a deeper jade green color. And yes, it has blue tips. The red planet has a green body with pink polyps and tips. Under stronger lighting, it's supposed to turn more pink and less green, and vice versa under less lighting.

Here's a new FTS shot showing the new scape and the position of my new frags:

FTS_10.jpg

I still haven't found a good spot for my millepora on the bottom left corner. I think I'll break it up into pieces and glue it up near the top close to the light.

Archived