Coral Vue Hydros

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird things going on after the flatworm exit...

The bristle stars that were all curled up have now stretched their legs and appear unharmed! They've been curled up and unmoving since Friday! My ceriths are all still flipped over and what not, but they do react to having something near them or being moved by withdrawing into their shells. Let's hope they make a full recovery. I will probably add some sort of wrasse down the road after I'm sure my pod population is big enough to survive.

Let's hope for a full recovery!

When I had flatworms in my biocube, I dosed with levasole. My ric and harry mushroom were pissed for a few days and I think i lost a few snails. I was amazed that as i dosed there was 5 times more flatworms dying than i could see. I had to do a repeat dose 2 weeks later and tons more were dying. I thought i beat it then more appeared. I did not dose anymore and then about a month later they were gone, nowhere to be seen.

Good luck

Wrasses work as a good natural way to get rid of flatworms. I had the same type you have, (the ones without the red dot) and all they did was eat my coraline algae. They didn't touch any of my corals. But once I got my McCosker's wrasse within a few weeks they were all gone.

My ceriths are still in a paralyzed state. The Astreas, trochus, and fighting conch are all still doing their thing.

So a wrasse it is then. There are so many really pretty wrasses. I want one that will do the job, be reef safe, and not be a dick to everyone in the tank. I'll add a wrasse last. I'm kind of pissed that I go flatworms in the first place...especially with how careful I've been. It irks me that the LFS had the issue and knew about it.

On another note... I was on my way to pick up the BSJ today and stopped at a not so LFS that has great quality fish. While I was at the store, I received word that the BSJ had carpet surfed out of the sump :-(. So no BSJ for me yet :-(.

I've decided to go with some gladiator picassos if I can find them. These are pics from christosclowns

58425851.jpg

57865846.jpg

I'm surprised that they aren't being sold specifically as such. Who has them? The not so LFS is going to see if they can order some. They don't even have to be picassos... I just want the helmet.

I wish I was on earlier! :angry:

That species looks like an Acoel flatworm and they are harmless. They can be problematic but more often than not they are harmless :(

i was going to say the same thing.

my tank has dry rock w/2lbs of live and i have both digitate hydroids and flatworms. (the live rock also came from reputable lfs, but they can't do anything about it)

here they are:

http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

my population of flatworms is under control, and i have 2 emerald crabs keeping the lawn of d. hydroids in check.

I've never seen those gladiator clowns. That helmet is so killer. Your fish selection is the coolest. Sorry to hear about the BSJ but I definitely think you should order one. Definitely one of my favorite fish.

As for a wrasse, I added my sixline (only an inch!) last and haven't had any aggression problems whatsover. I had red flatworms and within two days of adding him I haven't seen a single one. In fact, I haven't seen a single pest since I added the fish. It's definitely one of my favorites and it eats anything I drop in the tank. The wrasse adds a really cool 'depth' to the fish in the tank because it just shoots in and out of the rocks all day long. This of it as the fighter pilot of the fish world.

thanks for the info xgame2k... I probably should have waited before dosing.

d9hp... I'm still scared of the sixline! I've heard more horror stories than good ones!

I can't understand why you have the flatworms when you dipped everything, unless they came with your seed LR?

My seed LR was dipped as well... everything was dipped at higher concentrations and for longer than directed.

d9hp... I'm still scared of the sixline! I've heard more horror stories than good ones!

Yeah I've heard some stories too. Came home today at lunch and didn't see my sixline anywhere. Not on the ground or in the filter boxes. Didn't come out to eat either. I guess my bad story with sixlines is that they die and don't leave any trace! Maybe she was in a rock...but she normally is out when the lights cut on.

Don't do a sixline ass. Go for the possum very shy and won't pick on anybody else in the tank and will still do it's job. I've also heard some flashers are ok as well.

You'll like him. I've got "a pile of rocks" as you would say. I see the fish all the time scanning the rocks for pods and such. I bet with your scape he'll be circling all your dinosaur dookie rocks and will Be out a lot too.

You'll like him. I've got "a pile of rocks" as you would say. I see the fish all the time scanning the rocks for pods and such. I bet with your scape he'll be circling all your dinosaur dookie rocks and will Be out a lot too.

lol @ dinosaur dookie! he looks cool. I can't wait to have him... I never thought I'd own a wrasse!

Wow beautiful fish Red. That's going to look great in the tank and I definitely think he/she is going to circle those rocks ALLLLLLL day. That will add so much to the tank.

Any word on candy b's? I hope you take a thousand pictures of them when they arrive. You don't see many people willing to share those. Wonder why? :D

Wow beautiful fish Red. That's going to look great in the tank and I definitely think he/she is going to circle those rocks ALLLLLLL day. That will add so much to the tank.

Any word on candy b's? I hope you take a thousand pictures of them when they arrive. You don't see many people willing to share those. Wonder why? :D

Thanks d9hp... No word on the candy Basselets... I feel robbed :-(

get a mystry wrasse man the only wrasse that would compare your bsj color wize

I was looking at all of the pretty wrasses, but after the mention of the possum wrasse, I felt size and temperament wise it better fit with my tank. If I can ever snag a pair of candy basselets, I'll have more than enough color for the tank!

Oh yeah... I just ordered a BSJ from Live Aquaria. The TSB may be added to the tank this weekend so that I don't have to extend its quarantine. I also bought a pair of neon gobies as well. All I need now are some Gladiator clowns and the candy basselets.

Sorry for the loss med. Did they at least include heat packs with your order med? In my last few orders i find that live aquaria doesnt include heat packs when they ship livestock.

Archived