Innovative Marine Aquariums

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I dint want to hijack that other thread. Bu where do you plan on getting the needed denitrifying bacteria from? If you dipped you live rock chunk you most likely killed them all I would think. Are you using livesand? Or dossing probiotics?

Hey I dint want to hijack that other thread. Bu how do you plan on getting the needed denitrifying bacteria from? If you dipped you live rock chunk you most likely killed them all I would think. Are you using livesand? Or dossing probiotics?

I was using Microbacter 7 for 3 weeks

I then used Superbac to finish off the cycle before adding inverts.

When I add my first group of fish, I'll use a bottle of BioSpira.

It's completely overkill, but I am prone to excess.

That's cool. Don't know if you mentioned it earlier or not. Was just curious and yes I'd say a bit excessive. But at least you'll have no parasites or problematic inverts in the long run as long as yOu take all precautions necacery.

That's cool. Don't know if you mentioned it earlier or not. Was just curious and yes I'd say a bit excessive. But at least you'll have no parasites or problematic inverts in the long run as long as yOu take all precautions necacery.

yes sir... the only thing will be introducing subsequent frags. I don't plan on quarantining frags, just dipping them. All of the AEFW and red bugs running around socal may catch up with me sooner or later.

My sixline got rid of basically every pest in my tank in a matter of days. I'm glad I've got him!

Med, I haven't seen it but is there a finalized desired fish stocking list for this tank?

I love the blue jawfish. Without a doubt one of my favorite fish. Any pictures?

Yes and Yes

Thanks!

My sixline got rid of basically every pest in my tank in a matter of days. I'm glad I've got him!

Med, I haven't seen it but is there a finalized desired fish stocking list for this tank?

I love the blue jawfish. Without a doubt one of my favorite fish. Any pictures?

I hear so many six line horror stories. It seems hit or miss on getting one with a good temperament. My

desired stocking list

Tailspot Blenny

Blue Spot Jawfish

Pair of cleaner or sharknosed gobies

Pair of Smores clowns or Gladiator Picasso clowns

Pair of Candy Basslets

There was a local member on RC selling his Jawfish because it was building a home with the frags he had on the sand. I paid for him, but can't pick him up until jan 2nd, when I'm back in town. He's living in his sump at the moment.

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

Med that conch is pretty awesome haha.

He's great! I took some new pics of him before I left, but forgot to bring my camera with me... double doh!

Sixlines are the devil. My possum is pretty relaxed and not aggressive at all. Only problem I've had with it is it will eat small inverts like sexies and such.

Aren't you afraid that blue spot mite undermine your scape. It does look like it could topple over.

Sixlines are the devil. My possum is pretty relaxed and not aggressive at all. Only problem I've had with it is it will eat small inverts like sexies and such.

Aren't you afraid that blue spot mite undermine your scape. It does look like it could topple over.

The amount of sand is an illusion. it's SUPER thin. It's kind of comical, but the nassarius will "bury" themselves with half of their shells sticking out. The scape is resting on the glass. The three spires were three individual pieces, but I epoxied them all together. It will take an act of MedRed dropping something in the tank mess up the hardscape.

The area around the jawfish house is the only place where the sand bed is thick. We'll see if he takes to the house.

Yes it's out of PVC. I forgot to take a new pic of it after I revised it. It's no longer an oval. It's a dead end with kinks in it.

Here's a pic of it installed. It's around the right hand side.

2s96akh.jpg

Ok... so here's the update as promised...

First the bad news... I can't pick up my jawfish until tuesday or possibly next weekend due to scheduling conflicts.

I also appear to have lost a sexy shrimp. I may have also lost one of the porcelain crabs. There were two small pieces of it in the tank, it may just be a disintegrated moult. We'll see if he pops up.

I meant to take a picture before I started cleaning up. The cheato had grown like crazy. I also noticed some amphipods running around. The biggest thing was the number of hydras all over the glass. There were A LOT.

I'm kind of concerned with the lack of coralline. I have none in the tank at all other than what was on the LR and on the snail shells.

Here is the FTS: The water was still slightly cloudy after whipping up the sand while cleaning the glass and after a water change. It's cleared up now, but I can't take a pic (more on that later)

6tijb8.jpg

aaxks2.jpg

The Conch:

21mhpts.jpg

Some new corals. These guys were added right before the pic, so they are a little pissed.

155guja.jpg

2qszdeg.jpg

The torch and candy cane were added two weeks before I went on vacation

2sbl4ev.jpg

35id9hy.jpg

33kfa09.jpg

16l0dmu.jpg

53qnnb.jpg

ok4did.jpg

The problem:

I can not get the colors to come out in these pictures. I keep trying to adjust the white balance, but it just isn't working. The tank should look a cool blue in most of these pics, but it's coming out as a warm white. I also wanted to tank some "actinic" pics tonight. The colors of the corals look ridiculous under the all blue LED's. With any of the white balance settings, I end up with corals that look blue. If I do the custom white balance. Everything looks white. This camera is driving me nuts!

Try scraping your rock with coraline a bit and chipping some pieces off. I've read in a few threads it can help the spread of the coraline into other parts of the tank.

Med this #### is sick!

Definitely get a wrasse, i got a sixline again and its a beaut! they will eat alot of pests too!

Med this #### is sick!

Definitely get a wrasse, i got a sixline again and its a beaut! they will eat alot of pests too!

Thanks drift. I'm scared of getting a wrasse with a bad attitude. I like my tank to be peaceful, especially since there aren't a crap ton of places to hide.

I almost forgot... i bought a tailspot blenny today! I meant to take a picture of him in the collection cup, but forgot. Here he is in quarantine. You can see him peeking at the bottom right.

33nwy6f.jpg

Archived