Pod Your Reef

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ThatCollegeReefer
Awesome fish. Love mine.

I want one, but every time I order from somewhere they happen to be out on that day and I don't want to pay shipping for one fish...

Awesome fish. Love mine.

They are cool! They have a lot of personality

I dig the rock work, very nice.... B)

Thanks!

Nice frags med. Hey med what kinda camera are you using?

The rock work is really slick, how tall are the pillars?

Thanks! I'm not at home so I can't measure. The tank is 24" tall, so I'm guessing 16-18 inches.

Cant wait to see this tank in a year!!

Thanks!

How tall can you stack ####? JK med I like your scape too.

ha ha.. thanks!

After a molt, an invert will stay into hiding until it has more protection again. You shouldn't worry too much :)

that's what i'm banking on. we'll see what happens.

Another quick update...

The TSB seems to be doing ok. He's wearing his stress spots, but is moving around and looks healthy. He's not eaten anything yet. I've tried feeding a little bit every other day (twice now) I imagine he'll try something by saturday.

I mentioned I have a crap ton of hydras on the glass... all of my glass looks like this

2njvczm.jpg

I'm sure the rock work is more of the same. I wonder what is contributing to the population explosion and will it eventually be reigned in.

Also... what are these little brown flatworms? Are they a pest? if so, it's too late to do anything about. I've noticed them here and there on my glass.

2il0jyg.jpg

1118su9.jpg

My mini ceriths remind me a lot of Malaysian Trumpet Snails from the FW world. A lot of them seem to bury themselves by day and are more active as the lights dim. These guys spend so much time on the sand bed, I wonder if they are more into detritus than algae.

2cdaoub.jpg

25pikhf.jpg

This little guy met an untimely end.

eu0dao.jpg

Speaking of untimely end... I think my other anemone porcelain crab met his. I suspect he was chopped up by the vortech as he spent his time ON the vortech. Here's the perch for the Big Momma anemone porcelain crab. To the upper left you can see the legs of one of the Pom Pom Crabs. I've had really good luck with the Pom Poms as 2-3 are pretty much always visible. The anemone porcelain crabs stay out in the open, the porcelain crabs hide all of the time.

kdpi7p.jpg

I also caught one of my sexy shrimp EATING one of my Acans!

250k1h0.jpg

It wasn't just perched there, it was definitely picking at it. The flesh was pulled in tight. It's been doing it off and on since I added it last Sunday. I fed some frozen mysis today and the shrimp has left the acan alone all day.

That last pic shows part of the problem I've been having. The white balance wasn't great there... but tonight I screwed around and made it worse! All of the other pictures besides the last pic were taken with the worse settings. I can't get it back to being decent! Here's a comparo pic with worse settings.

6qekd0.jpg

I just want to take pictures that reflect the true color of the tank!

lastly... I can tell my zoas and my Yuma have bleached somewhat. I'm going to be switching my AI fixture to all 70 degree optics. I still need to get a par meter!

Yikes. I didn't know they did that. Awesome little shrimp though.

Do you think the acan could eat the sexy? I've seen mine snag some really massive pieces of mysis before...

Hey made pics are great.

Im not positive but your brown bug looks like a red flatworm, hopefully not but either way I would try to manually remove if you can and if you start seeing any remove as much as possible

Good luck

There's a guy on RC (txbonds) with one over a 34...

p121070819-4.jpg

p271352358-4.jpg

p979525417-4.jpg

Hey, that looks familiar. LOL :) Just going through your thread and came across this. :) The 60 is looking really nice. Keep up the good work.

250k1h0.jpg

I added two pepperment shrimp to my tank and they completely destroyed the Acan I had in my tank (no tissue left) and they have also been working on my lobo a little. They don't seem to have bothered anything else though, but I will have to tear my whole tank apart to get them out now.

Yikes. I didn't know they did that. Awesome little shrimp though.

Do you think the acan could eat the sexy? I've seen mine snag some really massive pieces of mysis before...

I doubt the acan would eat them. They seem to walk all over the acans, ricordeas, etc. I keep seeing them on maxi mini nems as well.

Hey made pics are great.

Im not positive but your brown bug looks like a red flatworm, hopefully not but either way I would try to manually remove if you can and if you start seeing any remove as much as possible

Good luck

They do look like flatworms :-(. Should I try Flatworm Exit or try to find some levimasole? Every coral in the tank has come from a reputable Local/Online fish store. I briefly remember reading a complaint from someone that they noticed flatworms in their tanks. I dip everything, so this is a real bummer.

Hey, that looks familiar. LOL :) Just going through your thread and came across this. :) The 60 is looking really nice. Keep up the good work.

I added two pepperment shrimp to my tank and they completely destroyed the Acan I had in my tank (no tissue left) and they have also been working on my lobo a little. They don't seem to have bothered anything else though, but I will have to tear my whole tank apart to get them out now.

thanks txbonds. I'm hoping to keep them fed enough that they leave the corals alone. If I can finally get a pair of candy basselets, they may make short work of them anyway.

I dosed flatworm exit for my flatworms tonight. It's kind of a bummer to have these pests since every coral and the single piece of LR all came from the same, reputable store. I dipped everything in coral Rx or revive ( I have both) before adding to the tank. Considering how new this tank is, I'm surprised at the numbers of them them that have died off.

Sorry to hear about the flatworms med. I had a huge infestation in my last tank which is one of the reasons i got the target mandarin. He ate all of them(probably hundreds) in about 2 weeks..

Im sure the flatworm exit will rid you of yours though..

I would rather have gone the natural route :-(. What would the target mandarin eat after the flatworms? I'm sad as the treatment is going well... but I've lost ALL of my mini bristle stars :-( Their little curled up bodies are all over the place.

Well thats why i went with an ORA mandarin because they eat frozen mysis and brine shrimp as well. My mandarin ate all the flatworms and continues to eat supplemental pods from my fuge along with his frozen diet.

animalmaster6

I wish I was on earlier! :angry:

That species looks like an Acoel flatworm and they are harmless. They can be problematic but more often than not they are harmless :(

aww... animal master! dang it! I should have gone the natural route. I can tell my ceriths are hurting, I lost all of my brittle stars, and I STILL see some flatworms! I only see a few small ones here and there... but that means they aren't all dead. Who know what other fauna bit the dust in the process...grrrrrrr...

Archived