inTank Media Baskets

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol... i wish I had the camera on the tank still. After I posted the video I went back to the tank. The vortechs had kicked back on and a piece was wafting under the rock. Two porcelain crabs came out of nowhere and had a really quick and violent fight over the piece. I've only seen them filter feed before! Hikari makes some good ish!

Ha ha... thanks. inverts may very well be my favorite part of reefing. I love my conch. He is so laid back and doesn't anything to do with the rest of the tank. funny to see him half buried with his eyes above the sand.

I have to say... this tank is going to be TOUGH to lay out the corals with. I have to keep in mind all of the viewing angles, and there's just so much surface area.

lets see some pics of the conch!!

This is the only pic I have thus far

1269p4i.jpg

He moves around the sand bed, sometimes he buries himself and just has his eyes poking above the sand. His proboscis extends quite a distance away from his body and he literally turns over individual grains of sand at a time. It reminds me of an elephant's nose.

Med,

Nice freaking crabs and your tank is awesome!!

Thanks evo!

I have a sand tiger conch as well... very fascinating to watch. Mine has made it up the side wall to my frag rack, and occasionally is found around the rockwork, though he's usually on the sand bed. Word to the wise: frags on the sand will be bulldozed by these creatures periodically... careful not to have frags that can damage each other close together. I learned this when mine knocked a chalice frag into a blasto frag, and the blasto got REALLY f'd up. Took at least a month for the blasto to recover.

OMG I am MAD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am out of town for the holidays. This is the ONLY reason I decided not to purchase the DD Candy Basslets earlier.

These Guys sat on DD for months! When DD started dropping the price, I wrote DD an email to STOP dropping the price so that some lucky husband would get the go ahead from his wife to buy them for Christmas.

If I knew someone to take care of my tank, I would have bought them a long time ago. I didn't realize that pair had sold until I saw the DD email update had a pair listed. It sucked not getting a few hundred off, but I was pretty sure that at full pop, this new pair would would be waiting for me as they old pair at full pop didn't budge for months. To my dismay... I looked this morning to find the new pair gone :-(

These guys were going to be my centerpiece fish :-(. I hope DD has a new pair up soon. I just knew I was going to have these guys for my tank. SUCKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT.

This tank just got way cooler/expensive.

Fish that expensive must come with an anti-anxiety prescription for when you vacation. They sure are beautiful though.

WHAT.

This tank just got way cooler/expensive.

Fish that expensive must come with an anti-anxiety prescription for when you vacation. They sure are beautiful though.

didnt you hear?

candy basslets make your tank last FOREVER!

haha, they are pretty sweet fish, i could never afford them. :(

But i can get a swissgaurd!

I hope you get yourself a pair medred. Hey maybe they will spawn.........

Thanks guys... I'm so, impossibly bummed right now :-(. I never truly entertained the idea that I'd be left out to dry on a pair. I'm going to call DD and see if there's anything that can be done.

Thanks guys... I'm so, impossibly bummed right now :-(. I never truly entertained the idea that I'd be left out to dry on a pair. I'm going to call DD and see if there's anything that can be done.

Yeah man I honestly check DD's fish listing once a day and I've watched that pair for MONTHS. I feel your pain man.

What I'd do is contact them and see what you can do about getting on the list for the next pair they get. They may have some in already...I've heard they won't even post fish on DD until they've had them in the holding tanks for at least a week.

Do you have some trusted local reefers to maintain this tank when you're out? It's obvious that you've got lots of time invested at this point and I figure that's probably something to consider. Also, do you have anyone local that can serve as an 'emergency' holding tank?

Thanks d9hp... I've met a few people, but Donatello is probably the only one I know well enough, and he lives quite a distance away. Since I'm newish... I haven't really met that many reefers locally.

It's official, no Candy Basslets in today's sneak peak. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn Red, Your tank is looking pretty Sick. Haha I haven't posted in awhile, been slaving at work for the last 2 weeks. However, I've been batting hair algae. Not fun at all. Maybe i should get some bio pellets......

Damn Red, Your tank is looking pretty Sick. Haha I haven't posted in awhile, been slaving at work for the last 2 weeks. However, I've been batting hair algae. Not fun at all. Maybe i should get some bio pellets......

Thanks Donatello. I've been out of town. I'm interested to see what it looks like when I get back. I bought a blue spot jawfish off of a member down in your area. I'm going to pick it up on Sunday. I'm still pissed about my dang candy basslets. Did you get any nerites? are they laying eggs?

OMG I am MAD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am out of town for the holidays. This is the ONLY reason I decided not to purchase the DD Candy Basslets earlier.

These Guys sat on DD for months! When DD started dropping the price, I wrote DD an email to STOP dropping the price so that some lucky husband would get the go ahead from his wife to buy them for Christmas.

If I knew someone to take care of my tank, I would have bought them a long time ago. I didn't realize that pair had sold until I saw the DD email update had a pair listed. It sucked not getting a few hundred off, but I was pretty sure that at full pop, this new pair would would be waiting for me as they old pair at full pop didn't budge for months. To my dismay... I looked this morning to find the new pair gone :-(

These guys were going to be my centerpiece fish :-(. I hope DD has a new pair up soon. I just knew I was going to have these guys for my tank. SUCKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow sorry to hear that med. I saw those in divers den for what seemed like forever...I thought they were never going to sell. Well dont worry about it man they should have another pair for sale within the month.

P.S. you can tell Live Aquaria had a good Holiday. They went from 100 fish down to 70. Somebody received blessings from their wives and money in their pocket for Christmas. I wish the people that bought the Candy Basslets would show themselves. I'm SO PISSED!

thanks hype

yeah you do... I'm going down the list of tans right now. Yours is coming up.

:lol: You bout to kick me off huh. It's cool it's cool. Can't wait to move to my new place. definitely gonna swag my tank out with you.

Archived