ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

kevantheman35

Lookin good Med! warning if one centimeter of that cheato breaks loose you will never ever and i repeat ever get rid of it in the display lol. Can you tell its happened to me? I have that same green and purple yuma and its already budded off 3 babies in a month, i love it. I like the sexy shrimp

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice update crazy clown guy!

Thanks Genj!

Lookin good Med! warning if one centimeter of that cheato breaks loose you will never ever and i repeat ever get rid of it in the display lol. Can you tell its happened to me? I have that same green and purple yuma and its already budded off 3 babies in a month, i love it. I like the sexy shrimp

Oh NO!!!!!!!!!! Free cheato anyone? I wasn't planning on keeping it, and it's pretty much served its purpose already. I had to buy all three rics as part of a group being sold by my LFS. I was really after the yuma. I will create some sort of ric/yuma area on that rock.

kevantheman35

haha it will prolly be fine. in my nanocube some got lose and i spent about an hour every waterchange trying to get rid of as much as i could in the display, but one leaf would grow a whole vine in a couple days. you worried about those sexy's getting eaten? I think I'm sold on getting a pair now that i know they hang out in mini carpets, just don't want my clown to snack on um

haha it will prolly be fine. in my nanocube some got lose and i spent about an hour every waterchange trying to get rid of as much as i could in the display, but one leaf would grow a whole vine in a couple days. you worried about those sexy's getting eaten? I think I'm sold on getting a pair now that i know they hang out in mini carpets, just don't want my clown to snack on um

I think they will get eaten with how small they are. I wanted to introduce them now so that they can get bigger before the fish are introduced. The ones I had in my old tank were a lot bigger

looking good so far.

subscribe

Thanks Doc!

Epic day for Inverts!

This was waiting on me when I got home. LA does a great job with packaging!

34etcpe.jpg

Before the unboxing begins, I had 3 larger stomatella sitting a top the forward left spire. I don't know what they are doing. Maybe a spawn tonight?

200bwn.jpg

The snails... banded trochus and mexican ceriths

1zeau14.jpg

Sexy shrimp... they are small. I guess they won't last too long

357n2fk.jpg

Anemone porcelain and porcelain crabs. One of them decided to moult in the bag... when you gotta go, you gotta go. One of my anemone porcelains is HUGE. Maybe I have a pair!

5wkxz.jpg

aox3qd.jpg

sysheu.jpg

14dkhgi.jpg

butt side

2j2vtx4.jpg

new94l.jpg

Rawr!

w6uqtk.jpg

pom poms

i5orxe.jpg

10yoymg.jpg

2yoe5pe.jpg

This one is preggers

2utsy37.jpg

I am certain my Nassarius are exhibiting predatory behavior. As soon as I added the crabs, the nassarius surfaced. After I took a picture of the molted crab, I noticed a few minutes later that he'd dropped a claw and had scuttled onto the back wall. I noticed just in time to see a Nassarius surround the claw. My best guess as to this behavior may lie with the tank conditions they are kept in. The tank the nassaruis came from constantly has an influx of inverts and fish. They have probably learned that weakened fish/inverts are viable as food even if they aren't dead. My previous nassarius never exhibited this behavior. I'm going to pull them and go with a new batch.

1r6650.jpg

Thanks SoCalDude!

I wonder if they sense there are no fish in the tank because NOTHING is hiding. infact... they are all pushed out to the glass and are avoiding the rocks. Maybe the rock is too white? I definitely don't have a mantis or pistol as all of my rock was bone dry.

Thanks SoCalDude!

I wonder if they sense there are no fish in the tank because NOTHING is hiding. infact... they are all pushed out to the glass and are avoiding the rocks. Maybe the rock is too white? I definitely don't have a mantis or pistol as all of my rock was bone dry.

Well then enjoy them wile you can see them!

SNAIL and CRAB ORGY!!!!

LOL!

Well then enjoy them wile you can see them!

I had really good luck in my last tank with them coming out after a month or so. I've got my fingers crossed!

Lookin good so far :) My nassarius occasionally pop up when I'm just reaching in to pick algae, though not often. I do have to keep an eye on them, as they will sometimes try to steal food from my acans/dendros, once succeeding in damaging the acan slightly. For the most part, I don't mind them, but having 3 in my 26g tank was probably a bit excessive. (I originally bought all 3 to go in my 7g, before I upgraded to my 26g. Trusting the lfs probably wasn't the wisest call on that one, but at the time I didn't know better)

I almost picked up a porcelain crab last night. Is there a difference between the "anemone porcelain crab" and the "regular" ones? Guessing by the photos you posted, I was looking at buying an "anemone porcelain crab," which was most certainly hosted in an anemone at the store. I wouldn't want my tube anemone to eat the crab, so I opted out. (gonna sell the darn tube nem...)

I found this, and thought you might find it interesting: "The ability of the Neopetrolisthes species to shed its limbs is useful when a predator catches hold of any of the crab’s limbs or the limbs are hooked somewhere. The crab detaches the caught limb from its body and runs off. The detached limb moves for some time which dodges the predators." Taken from http://www.freshmarine.com/porcelain-crab.html

animalmaster6

Awesome Med!!!

Love all the inverts.

Are you sure you want a Cave Basslet? That fish is pretty awesome but your inverts wouldn't do well.

Lookin good so far :) My nassarius occasionally pop up when I'm just reaching in to pick algae, though not often. I do have to keep an eye on them, as they will sometimes try to steal food from my acans/dendros, once succeeding in damaging the acan slightly. For the most part, I don't mind them, but having 3 in my 26g tank was probably a bit excessive. (I originally bought all 3 to go in my 7g, before I upgraded to my 26g. Trusting the lfs probably wasn't the wisest call on that one, but at the time I didn't know better)

I almost picked up a porcelain crab last night. Is there a difference between the "anemone porcelain crab" and the "regular" ones? Guessing by the photos you posted, I was looking at buying an "anemone porcelain crab," which was most certainly hosted in an anemone at the store. I wouldn't want my tube anemone to eat the crab, so I opted out. (gonna sell the darn tube nem...)

I found this, and thought you might find it interesting: "The ability of the Neopetrolisthes species to shed its limbs is useful when a predator catches hold of any of the crab’s limbs or the limbs are hooked somewhere. The crab detaches the caught limb from its body and runs off. The detached limb moves for some time which dodges the predators." Taken from http://www.freshmarine.com/porcelain-crab.html

Thanks Gatotsu77! The anemone porcelain's are the red and white ones. The regular porcelains are usually blue, purple, or greenish. I have a feeling that the nassarius caused the dropped limb. I just didn't see it happen. I'll feel better after replacing these guys.

Awesome Med!!!

Love all the inverts.

Are you sure you want a Cave Basslet? That fish is pretty awesome but your inverts wouldn't do well.

Thanks animal... Do you think I'm hoping too much that the only the sexy shrimp would be at risk?

For those with reclusive pom pom crabs... I found a food that the pom pom exhibited a STRONG feeding response to. I dropped in a Hikari algae wafer just to see what would want to eat it. I immedaitely noticed 3 pom poms come out of the rocks. The cleaner shrimp immediately claimed it as his own. I was scoping out the snails I added and looked over just in time to see one of the pom poms wrestle the wafer away from the cleaner shrimp!

I took another wafer and broke it up into a few pieces. A couple of nassarius came out for it, and one piece landed near the fighting conch. He loves the wafers! Now I know there is something he'll eat if he completely cleans out the sand bed with his future buddies. One of the pom poms took 5 minutes before he decided to meander out and badger the nassarius for the piece he was eating... he picked it up, and I guess he didn't like the slime. He moved over and stole the piece the fighting conch was eating. Poor guy... He's my favorite thing in the tank right now.

I took a video of the last interaction. I'll post it up as soon as it's done.

For those with reclusive pom pom crabs... I found a food that the pom pom exhibited a STRONG feeding response to. I dropped in a Hikari algae wafer just to see what would want to eat it. I immedaitely noticed 3 pom poms come out of the rocks. The cleaner shrimp immediately claimed it as his own. I was scoping out the snails I added and looked over just in time to see one of the pom poms wrestle the wafer away from the cleaner shrimp!

I took another wafer and broke it up into a few pieces. A couple of nassarius came out for it, and one piece landed near the fighting conch. He loves the wafers! Now I know there is something he'll eat if he completely cleans out the sand bed with his future buddies. One of the pom poms took 5 minutes before he decided to meander out and badger the nassarius for the piece he was eating... he picked it up, and I guess he didn't like the slime. He moved over and stole the piece the fighting conch was eating. Poor guy... He's my favorite thing in the tank right now.

I took a video of the last interaction. I'll post it up as soon as it's done.

Great description of the activity in your tank ... makes me want to do an invert only tank!

Archived