Coral Vue Hydros

Pyronus' SPS 20H

pyronus

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad to hear that you think it's velvet and not brook in the end. I understand what you mean about selecting fish for our small tanks. Since we're often limited by space and bioload, it's always a tough choice to make.

Six-line wrasse have long been one of my favorite reef fish. I just wish that they didn't end up becoming so dominant. That said, you could likely find another fish that could give it a run for its money (dwarf angel) and who knows, you may get one that is a model tank citizen.

I actually thought about getting a dwarf angel when I had my 20H up and running and just never pulled the trigger. Dwarf Lemonpeels = :wub:

-Adam

I love angels. When my kids are old enough and I have a big enough tank, the two fish I've always wanted are an Imperator and a Sohal Tang.

Hey, how are the frags?

The little woman reports that everything looks okay.

I agree with Adam here ( again it seems lol )

With shipped coral- I get em outta that soup after a quick temp acclimation- "bring home" corals I'll be a bit more fussy with. JME. :happy:

I'm glad my instinct served me well last night. I haven't had much experience with shipped corals so I just did what I thought would be the least damaging, and acclimating in that bag water was not it for sure.

One of my favorite fish was a big Lemonpeel with a bright orange forehead. Gorgeous, so much personality... great taste in polyps... :o

:o

I've heard conflicting things about dwarf angels. My LFS says they dont pick if they're fed well, some people say they pick no matter what, some people say they are fine. I guess you never know until you try right? I probably wont keep a lemon peel though.

:o

I've heard conflicting things about dwarf angels. My LFS says they dont pick if they're fed well, some people say they pick no matter what, some people say they are fine. I guess you never know until you try right? I probably wont keep a lemon peel though.

IMO it's just that they are kind of relentless. Never sit there and pick away at a colony until it's dead, but they swim around non-stop and peck at whatever they see. In a small tank (mine was in a 40B) with a few colonies of SPS, that meant no PE and slow withering death... I moved out the SPS and kept the fish with some nems, shrooms, zoas - all were fine.

IMO it's just that they are kind of relentless. Never sit there and pick away at a colony until it's dead, but they swim around non-stop and peck at whatever they see. In a small tank (mine was in a 40B) with a few colonies of SPS, that meant no PE and slow withering death... I moved out the SPS and kept the fish with some nems, shrooms, zoas - all were fine.

Most angelfish have the reputation as non reef safe though, and the number of people who keep successful reefs with them is quite large. I trust your experience, and may try one anyhow :P The allure of a beautiful fish is greater than my fear of reef destruction :lol:

Love the new FTS!

Thanks! I'll take another one tonight when I get home from work.

Most angelfish have the reputation as non reef safe though, and the number of people who keep successful reefs with them is quite large. I trust your experience, and may try one anyhow :P The allure of a beautiful fish is greater than my fear of reef destruction :lol:

Yeah I was probably just unlucky. Many have complete success. Good luck!

I agree with Adam here ( again it seems lol )

Adam always knows the right thing to say. He's my oracle hero (that doesn't sound right, but I'm going with it :lol:).

I'll take another one tonight when I get home from work.

Yay....don't forget ;)

I hope your sps frags pull through!!!!!

So heres a crappy way to start a new page, with some pictures of corals in distress.

Birdsnest, not so hot

ILYLz.jpg

Monti, some color at the very bottom where it has encrusted over the plug, some PE down there too but the rest of the coral is in pretty bad shape.

x95nP.jpg

This acro browned out so bad that it looks nothing like it did when I got it. Not sure whats going on.

Before:

JnX6l.jpg?1

After:

cYscq.jpg

Also a crappy FTS for Gena :wub:

4F5EY.jpg

Nothing, the color balance on the FTS is messed. That green acro has been brown for about a month, I just didn't take any pictures of it. Its growing like a weed, just not showing any color. I dont have any fish, but I still feed the hermits and things. Its a nutrients thing and its recovering. Its still got some color and its got good PE. I assume it will recover.

I was distressed looking at those first two photos!!!!! I feel better after seeing the FTS :wub: You did a nice job placing the macros. You can slap me if you like, but I like the color of the acro better now than before :lol: I'll shut up now :)

Thanks for the FTS!!!!!

I was distressed looking at those first two photos!!!!! I feel better after seeing the FTS :wub: You did a nice job placing the macros. You can slap me if you like, but I like the color of the acro better now than before :lol: I'll shut up now :)

Thanks for the FTS!!!!!

Hey, slacker! :lol:

Not sure if that Monti is going to make it :( That said, I've had things come back from being completely bleached and just a smidge of color and polyp extension so I'd just give it some time to see if it recovers. The Birdsnest looks to be in a lot better shape...just looks like it expelled all it's zooxanthellae due to the shipping stress.

I agree with Gena...those macros look amazeballs :)

Not sure if that Monti is going to make it :( That said, I've had things come back from being completely bleached and just a smidge of color and polyp extension so I'd just give it some time to see if it recovers. The Birdsnest looks to be in a lot better shape...just looks like it expelled all it's zooxanthellae due to the shipping stress.

I agree with Gena...those macros look amazeballs :)

Thanks Adam. The monti is in pretty bad shape. I may just try and frag a small piece off and see what happens. I'm certain the green bird will make it, especially the smaller piece that is just sitting unmounted in that picture, it is actually looking pretty good.

The macro's really added a lot to the display. The red really jumps out at you and they flow so nice.

Ha, hard to tell but I agree, the acro looks better now than before. lol.

Oh, and btw, you need some fish in there!!!!! :)

You guys are crazy, if it was more purple I'd think it was turning into a bonsai. Maybe I picked crappy before and after pics, I don't know. At least its growing.

I can't put fish in yet. Gotta wait, for a few more weeks.

I think I've decided 2 clowns, 6 line and some kind of pygmy angel, plus Ivan the GCG. Time to push that bioload.

Put in the 6 line last and I've got my toes crossed for the bird.

Me too lady, me too. Good advice on the 6 line. I figure most clowns can hold their own, and angels are just as territorial.

Hope those corals start colouring up again, the tank looks good tho!

Me too man, me too. I'm doing what I can for export, with the fuge and adding macro's to the DT. I'm stupid to feed an empty tank like more than once a week though so its my fault mostly. -_-

Woo, just made it through the whole thread! Beautiful tank, hope your new SPS make it. How's the clam? I :wub: clams

Thanks for stopping by!

Everything else is beatuiful. Its just that one acro, must be really sensitive to the water quality or something. Even the corals around it that are green/blue have great color. I stare at the clam a lot, it really is a beautiful addition to the reef.

I think I've decided 2 clowns, 6 line and some kind of pygmy angel, plus Ivan the GCG. Time to push that bioload.

I've had this exact combination of fish in a tank before (minus the GCG). It was a very entertaining group. My pygmy was a coral beauty. All were perfectly well behaved for the longest time. I screwed things up when I got the bug to add a YWG. The sixline was having no part of that. Anything I tried to add was attacked. Then I added an open brain coral which the angel could not resist. Before that, both fish were model citizens.

Glad to hear the bird is gonna make it :)

Archived