inTank Media Baskets

Pyronus' SPS 20H

pyronus

The red planets seem to go pinkish on the coralites in many tanks with a light coenosarc. Must be the chemistry in the tank, possibly lighting source as well. The base should be green with red coralites, hard to keep them that way. Mine is slow growing, showing no signs of AEFW to date, the base is still green as well as the coenosarc and the polyps and coralites somewhere between red and pink. Here's a picture, wish mine was the size of yours, haha.

Great looking indeed, wish my tank was ready for some of those great SPS's ... and for those who want more info on what the coenosarc really is, I posted a link to a web site that explains the terminology we sometimes run across in technical articles. It allows you to search by clicking on internal links.

Thought that some may benefit of this :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4028376

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great looking indeed, wish my tank was ready for some of those great SPS's ... and for those who want more info on what the coenosarc really is, I posted a link to a web site that explains the terminology we sometimes run across in technical articles. It allows you to search by clicking on internal links.

Thought that some may benefit of this :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4028376

Great link, thanks Albert! I was familiar with the terminology but I devour any and all info I can find, and your links are always awesome.

Great link, thanks Albert! I was familiar with the terminology but I devour any and all info I can find, and your links are always awesome.

Thanks, I appreciate it ... Glad you liked it.

I'm currently running sand in my fuge, I'm considering swapping it out for miracle mud. Anyone have any experience with the stuff?

My research suggests that it's pretty worthless. Limited utility and worse, you'll have a constant coating of dust if you have any flow thru there at all. Back when I first did a fuge I wanted this stuff but couldn't justify the cost. Glad I didn't.

My research suggests that it's pretty worthless. Limited utility and worse, you'll have a constant coating of dust if you have any flow thru there at all. Back when I first did a fuge I wanted this stuff but couldn't justify the cost. Glad I didn't.

Mmmkay. -_-

Wowza!! that is a sweet coral right derr. :o

Thanks M! Is the weather cool enough yet?!?!?!

How's the Flamingo feather holding up with the rubber band????

Both the Flamingo and Grape are doing good! I have a ton of flow in my tank, I run the MP20 in reefcrest at 70% or so, that puts my tank at about 70x turnover ratio, all the corals like the flow, but the grape gets blown around like a balloon in a hurricane sometimes. Its looking good so far but I will keep my eye on it to make sure its not taking any damage and I'll move it if I have to. :D

I was actually thinking of cutting a window in my stand door and framing it up with a little piece of plexi so I can watch the 3 banned hermits futile struggle to get out of refugium jail without having to open up the stand all the way. So if I have to move the macro to the fuge, at least I'll still be able to look at it.

So I just confirmed, Tyree Green Montipora palawanensis coming to a 20H near you this weekend...

zOFri.jpg

A piece or the whole thing? Nice specimen!

Both the Flamingo and Grape are doing good! I have a ton of flow in my tank, I run the MP20 in reefcrest at 70% or so, that puts my tank at about 70x turnover ratio, all the corals like the flow, but the grape gets blown around like a balloon in a hurricane sometimes. Its looking good so far but I will keep my eye on it to make sure its not taking any damage and I'll move it if I have to. :D

I was actually thinking of cutting a window in my stand door and framing it up with a little piece of plexi so I can watch the 3 banned hermits futile struggle to get out of refugium jail without having to open up the stand all the way. So if I have to move the macro to the fuge, at least I'll still be able to look at it.

That sounds like a cool idea with the refugium. Poor hermits :( Why did you ban them?

They're snail hungry little bastids.

Yes, they speak of the unspeakable .. well they act as such and some because of their size as we all know can knock rocks that are not glued or epoxied over quite easily IME.

Maybe time for an update.

I got some macro algae from Gena, red grape and some of that beautiful pink flamingo feather whatever its called stuff. Both pieces shipped well and look really nice in the tank. I'm going to voluntarily add some halimeda. I know one LFS that has some on a big piece of rock, so I'm going to see if he'll cut some off for me.

Yesterday I got a ORA Green Birdsnest and some of that pokerstar monti from metrokat. The UPS guy didnt get to my house until 7pm and when I opened the box the bags the frags were in were brown. I didn't even acclimate the corals, I just wanted to get them out of those bags so I dipped them and tossed them in the display. The birdsnest is probably going to have to be fragged it looks like it started to lose some tissue at the tips and is bleaching at the base. I'm going to let them recover for a few days and see what happens.

These are a couple of weeks old now.

AEzBb.jpg

cejEY.jpg

Maybe time for an update.

I got some macro algae from Gena, red grape and some of that beautiful pink flamingo feather whatever its called stuff. Both pieces shipped well and look really nice in the tank. I'm going to voluntarily add some halimeda. I know one LFS that has some on a big piece of rock, so I'm going to see if he'll cut some off for me.

Yesterday I got a ORA Green Birdsnest and some of that pokerstar monti from metrokat. The UPS guy didnt get to my house until 7pm and when I opened the box the bags the frags were in were brown. I didn't even acclimate the corals, I just wanted to get them out of those bags so I dipped them and tossed them in the display. The birdsnest is probably going to have to be fragged it looks like it started to lose some tissue at the tips and is bleaching at the base. I'm going to let them recover for a few days and see what happens.

These are a couple of weeks old now.

Good luck with it and I hope it recovers ...maybe it is just stress ...

I really like the addition of the macro from Gena...it just adds a little bit of a natural feel to things.

Sorry to hear about the frags coming in brown...I've been there before unfortunately. You did the right thing about just placing them in the tank as I'm sure they really couldn't care less about matching params, etc....just "get me in the tank." The only thing I do is a 20-30 minute bag float/temp acclimation, hold them out of the water to let them slime up and then in they go.

In my experience, it unfortunately can take some time for browned out or otherwise stressed SPS to bounce back. That said, ORA coral are incredibly hardy (usually) and since they are a Monti and a Birdsnest, I imagine they'll bounce back quicker than a delicate Acro which would likely waste away. Just place them in a spot close to the tank they came from and let them be for a while. Best not to add additional stress by moving them around a bunch in the beginning. At least that's been my experience.

Everything else looks great. So how much longer do you have to go before you'll add fish? Was it 2 months or 6?

Good luck with it and I hope it recovers ...maybe it is just stress ...

Sorry to hear that! Birdsnest are usually pretty hardy for an SPS, so hopefully it will recover with a little TLC. Keep us posted!

Thanks, I think they will be okay. The bird had some PE this morning, I'm sure it will pull through.

I really like the addition of the macro from Gena...it just adds a little bit of a natural feel to things.

Sorry to hear about the frags coming in brown...I've been there before unfortunately. You did the right thing about just placing them in the tank as I'm sure they really couldn't care less about matching params, etc....just "get me in the tank." The only thing I do is a 20-30 minute bag float/temp acclimation, hold them out of the water to let them slime up and then in they go.

In my experience, it unfortunately can take some time for browned out or otherwise stressed SPS to bounce back. That said, ORA coral are incredibly hardy (usually) and since they are a Monti and a Birdsnest, I imagine they'll bounce back quicker than a delicate Acro which would likely waste away. Just place them in a spot close to the tank they came from and let them be for a while. Best not to add additional stress by moving them around a bunch in the beginning. At least that's been my experience.

Everything else looks great. So how much longer do you have to go before you'll add fish? Was it 2 months or 6?

I let them temp acclimate or a minute, revive diped and rinsed, then I put the frags on the rocks.

I'm going to pick up a new black clown, hopefully sooner than later. I think it will be safe to get them back in the DT soon, its been almost 4 weeks now. I think I will wait until the middle of October or so.

I feel like I got lucky, I don't remember if I posted this before but I think it was velvet and not brook that was the killer. I still have the 20L set up so I will probably QT any fish that I get for at least a week or 2 before dropping them in the DT.

When I do get fish I'm considering a 6 line again, even though they are demon fish, that or a PSW. I feel like I would have more stocking options with a PSW, so I may go that route. I was also thinking about a pygmy angel. They have some beautiful pygmy angels at the LFS,centropyge vroliki (half black), bispinosis(coral beauty) and flavissima (lemon peel). I have a really hard time with fish choices. Its hard with small tanks to pick fish that compliment the tank and the corals we keep.

This tank really needs some movement in the form of fish though, its nice looking at pretty corals but you don't realize how much fish add to the tank until there are none.

Glad to hear that you think it's velvet and not brook in the end. I understand what you mean about selecting fish for our small tanks. Since we're often limited by space and bioload, it's always a tough choice to make.

Six-line wrasse have long been one of my favorite reef fish. I just wish that they didn't end up becoming so dominant. That said, you could likely find another fish that could give it a run for its money (dwarf angel) and who knows, you may get one that is a model tank citizen.

I actually thought about getting a dwarf angel when I had my 20H up and running and just never pulled the trigger. Dwarf Lemonpeels = :wub:

-Adam

I agree with Adam here ( again it seems lol )

With shipped coral- I get em outta that soup after a quick temp acclimation- "bring home" corals I'll be a bit more fussy with. JME. :happy:

Archived