Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pyronus' SPS 20H

pyronus

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DANG! WANT!

No kidding! That is a nice piece. In fact, I've seen a slew of really nice ORA Red Planet pieces lately. Still looking for a small frag of this one...

DANG! WANT!

I'll frag it, someday... :D

Epic top-down shots Pyro. It will be cool to see that encrusting reach the glass...

Thanks, I wonder if it will actually attach to the glass or just grow over the glass.

No kidding! That is a nice piece. In fact, I've seen a slew of really nice ORA Red Planet pieces lately. Still looking for a small frag of this one...

I got lucky, and jumped on a local that was getting rid of this huge piece. I still dont know why he didn't want it.

Holy crap! All those corals look fab, but that RP is killer!

Thanks!

Can anyone ID those speckled zoas? I looked through coralpedia but I couldn't find anything that I thought was right...

Beautiful colors. I'm jealous!

You asked and boy did he delive!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! :bowdown:

You guys are too kind, it's nothing special. I cant even take pics of my green tort, is all browned out and embarrassing. At least it's polyps are still pretty green.

Nice top-down shots! ;)

*Drool* at the Red Planet! Those blue acros are pretty nice too. What are they? 'Some sort of stag?

I'm so happy with the Red Planet. It was the one coral I wanted to have in tank, and I was able to find someone locally that was pretty much giving away a full colony. I jumped on offer and drove out to get it the same day the thread was posted on the local boards.

No clue what the species is although all the pieces are the same. I haven't tried to ID it yet, it is a Staghorn though. They are indeed coloring up quite nicely. When I got it it was just plain brown with light blue tips.

Awesome my man- the word has been beaten to death, but nothing else seems to fit.

Keep doin' whatcha doin' and send me frags of each please, and Thank You.

Your colours are strong, to see a otherwise brown acro turn blue like that makes this hobby so rewarding. Are you dosing potassium or aminos? Whatever you are doing, looks fantastic !

Mr. Microscope
Your colours are strong, to see a otherwise brown acro turn blue like that makes this hobby so rewarding. Are you dosing potassium or aminos? Whatever you are doing, looks fantastic !

+1! Your colors are amazing. Aside from lighting, are you doing anything? Did your Red Planet come that color? How long have you had it?

+1! Your colors are amazing. Aside from lighting, are you doing anything? Did your Red Planet come that color? How long have you had it?

Not doing anything special IMO.

4 gallon weekly water changes(Reef Crystals). Kalk in the top off water, + ~5ml/ea. B-Ionic 2 part daily.

Feeding heavily with phyto and oyster feast, every other day.

I skim wet and I run a fuge full of chaeto and regular old grape caulerpa with an alternate light cycle that is overlaps 2 hours into my normal light cycle on each side.

Before the fish got sick they were getting spectrum or ocean nutrition pellets and flakes in the morning and PE mysis at night. Now I spot feed the acans 2x/ week with the mysis and I shoot the leftovers into the frogspawn and the branching hammer. Sometimes I feed the hermits and nassarius some pellets.

Its also really only the colors on these 2 specimens that are crazy. Everything else is meh.

I've been asking my LFS's to carry Fuel, I want try it. I've also considered dosing vodka (I only have a bottle of Grey Goose in the cupboard, no way I'm dosing that).

The red planet looked like this in the tank I took it from, I think he over saturated the photo though. It looked a lot more like what my picture does now when I got it. It lost a little color and then it all came back over the last couple of weeks..

kZiVV.jpg?1

Got a package people....

Gena you are amazing. :bowdown: Box was dry, tripple bagged everything, the macro's didn't even take a beating in the mail. I'll post some picks when there aren't little red grapes flying around in my tank anymore. :D

The red planets seem to go pinkish on the coralites in many tanks with a light coenosarc. Must be the chemistry in the tank, possibly lighting source as well. The base should be green with red coralites, hard to keep them that way. Mine is slow growing, showing no signs of AEFW to date, the base is still green as well as the coenosarc and the polyps and coralites somewhere between red and pink. Here's a picture, wish mine was the size of yours, haha.

post-72999-1348095626_thumb.jpg

Finally getting a chance to catchup on your thread and boy are those SPS rockin' and rollin' now!!! I agree with everyone else, the coloration and health on them are superb.

The top-down shots are drool worthy.....makes me want to finally bite the bullet and either build or buy a top-down box that fits over my DSLR lens. Although shots through the glass are great, there's nothing that beats the true coloration that you can view from above. Glad my pointers helped as well ;)

As far as the coloration on the Red Planet, here's what I've observed having now keep one under T5s and now under LEDs. Unless they're kept under lower light, they tend to lose the green "skin" and become more of a deep red with bright red coralites. I have my frag in the middle of my tank and so far it's holding the bright green color with bright red polyps. I bet if I moved it up it would shift more your direction. I've also noticed this being the case with Ponape Birdsnest as well. Amazing how just a slight shift in spectrum and intensity can have such a huge effect. Plus, it helps when you get something when it's already nice and healthy so it can devote its energy to growth rather than recovery.

Let me know if you ever have any excess chaeto to get rid of...I'd like to start a small fuge in the sump of my ELOS. By the way, what light do you have in your fuge?

:lol: vegetarians????

Heh, apparently my Acans eat whatever they can get. They all had their feeders out, and when I put the red grape in the tank a whole bunch of the grapes that were just holding on by a thread flew off and the green/purple acan colony caught at least 3 or 4 of them.

They were still hungry later and ate mysis too, pigs.

That's a nice FTS for Sept. Very clean and simple looking but a lot in it. I agree with everyone, that RP colony you have is killer.

Thanks! I really love watching its long polyps, and its color is really something else. I was really lucky to find an already tabled out colony. I know watching them grow is half the fun, but dropping a colony in the tank, and then watching it flourish and color up like it has is just as rewarding to me.

Finally getting a chance to catchup on your thread and boy are those SPS rockin' and rollin' now!!! I agree with everyone else, the coloration and health on them are superb.

Let me know if you ever have any excess chaeto to get rid of...I'd like to start a small fuge in the sump of my ELOS. By the way, what light do you have in your fuge?

Thanks Adam! I'm glad you got a chance to read through. I've been taking pictures like a mad man. I think I've said it before but I wouldn't have even tried SPS if it wasn't for your old tanks, so thanks again for taking the time to read through!

For the top downs this time, I didn't even use a box. I just turned the return and MP20 off, raised the light enough so I wouldn't be sticking my lens into the water and started snapping. I shot in manual and used the back screen to preview and focus.

The red planet does have some of the green in base coming back tbh, its there, especially under atinics. The colony lost a little bit of color in the move from its original home and its coming back little by little. I think where I have it placed it will develop the classic green base with bright red coralites and polyps with pink growth tips. It is already showing these traits now.

I don't currently have enough to propagate but when I do get enough I'll let you know. I had to toss my old chaeto it was a disgusting mix of bubble algae and chaeto so to get rid of the pest algae I just tossed all of it. The new stuff is direct from the master, Rehype :D.

Im using a 24W Spiral CFL in the fuge right now, but I am going to swap it for a 5600K Par38 from HD this weekend.

Archived