Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pyronus' SPS 20H

pyronus

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What nuisance algae are you having trouble with? I didn't see any in your FTS!

I'm not sure what it is really. I don't have any GHA or cyano or anything like that. Its light brown and slimy but it forms a kind of mat, its not stringy and doesn't look like any dinoflagellates that I have ever seen. Its not really a problem right now its just a few places on the rock. I should bring a sample into work and look at it under the microscope. I'd need a way to ID it after that though.

The other problem is that my hermits have systematically destroyed my cerith snail population. There are only 2 left and I haven't seen more than 2 nassarius in a few days (used to have about 6-10of each) . I see lots of empty shells. I think 2 hermits is probably enough hermit for this tank. They are cool but not as good at eating the nasty as snails.

I try to keep things clean, and not worry too much about it. Dry rock goes through the "ugly" phase where they get all brown and green and nasty before the coraline can take over. If it starts to swarm corals or take over, then I'll worry.

The primary reason to get something in the refugium is so I can feed heavy.

Hmmm..not sure what that would be. I'm sure the chaeto will really help you out with it though!!!!

Oh...and thanks for the explanation on the avatar. Right now I see the guy wearing the mask.

Le Sigh, my big stag has some STN. It was only a very small piece so I fragged it. You can't even tell the piece is missing. Its also on the biggest branch of the whole piece and its the only piece that hasn't started to encrust at the base. All the other ones have over an 1/8" of growth at the base.

Water change tonight for good measure, gonna pick up some carbon for the sump in the AM.

Bummer. Does fragging usually stop it from going further? Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I'm glad it was a small piece and not even noticeable!!!!

It didn't help too much. There is another branch that is losing tissue now. This piece has never really been happy. Its PE is not good. I'm not really sure what to do. All the other pieces of the same coral around it are fine, PE is great so is the color.

It didn't help too much. There is another branch that is losing tissue now. This piece has never really been happy. Its PE is not good. I'm not really sure what to do. All the other pieces of the same coral around it are fine, PE is great so is the color.

Super glue is better at stopping STN than fragging sometimes.

Don't be afraid to cover some healthy parts on the coral, superglue a little beyond where the STN is visible.

This hobby... :rant:

One 3 day weekend = dead fish, and STNing corals. Trying to help causes accidental fragging and some re-stacking of rocks = everything pissed and the tank looks like crap now.

I went from so excited about everything to reef depressed overnight.

:grouphug:

We all go through the ups and downs of reefing. Your tank will be "up" again before you know it :)

Sorry to hear about the STN'ing. More than just the stag now?

:grouphug:

We all go through the ups and downs of reefing. Your tank will be "up" again before you know it :)

Sorry to hear about the STN'ing. More than just the stag now?

No but it was my favorite piece of whole colony. Its interesting. I basically glued 4 rather large branches of the same coral to a rock, 3 of the 4 pieces are basing out over the superglue and are very close to forming a single colony. This particular branch has not formed a base, or even grown at all. I'm not sure exactly whats wrong with it. I think I have the STN under control now, but since the whole branch isn't doing well, I'm considering cutting the whole thing off at the base and remounting it by itself. I don't want the healthy frags forming a common base with this branch since it is the only one losing tissue. I may do that tonight and just superglue over the base of whats left so I don't risk the rest of the piece.

Everything seems to be back under control. The weak have been culled and I am left with what is all things considered a relatively huge growing colony of the Stag. Polyps are out, the coral is happy. Now I'm happy.

I thought about taking the rocks out and scaping it again, but I wont do that right now, they have already gone through enough. If I can find the right dry piece at the LFS I might add it to get exactly the look I want, but thats an if.

This hobby... :rant:

One 3 day weekend = dead fish, and STNing corals. Trying to help causes accidental fragging and some re-stacking of rocks = everything pissed and the tank looks like crap now.

I went from so excited about everything to reef depressed overnight.

I feel your pain. Similar situation last night for me. Aquascaping is always a borderline tragedy. I too ended up accidentally fragging, and couldn't get my rockpiles to come back together correctly. Also epoxy = devil. My skimmer is still on the blitz and microbubbles are pissing everything off.

I feel your pain. Similar situation last night for me. Aquascaping is always a borderline tragedy. I too ended up accidentally fragging, and couldn't get my rockpiles to come back together correctly. Also epoxy = devil. My skimmer is still on the blitz and microbubbles are pissing everything off.

I know what you mean, it seems like each instance of scaping only looks good for a few days and then I want to redo it again, and again, and there seems to be no end to it ... plus each time every coral get teed off of course. Oh well one of these days I'll get it right somehow.

Glad to hear that things have stabilized. Like Gena said, we all go through the roller coaster of reefing....completely content one day and cursing the tank the next.

Everything seems to be back under control. The weak have been culled and I am left with what is all things considered a relatively huge growing colony of the Stag. Polyps are out, the coral is happy. Now I'm happy.

I thought about taking the rocks out and scaping it again, but I wont do that right now, they have already gone through enough. If I can find the right dry piece at the LFS I might add it to get exactly the look I want, but thats an if.

Yay!!!! Glad to hear it :happy:

Sometimes it's just "####" then step back and take deep breath, remind yourself that it is part of reefing and then get back to it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Chris

Sometimes it's just "####" then step back and take deep breath, remind yourself that it is part of reefing and then get back to it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Chris

That's reefing indeed ... and the surprises we get sometimes when we discover organisms we never knew we had especially when looking at night.

:happydance:

Glad to hear that things have stabilized. Like Gena said, we all go through the roller coaster of reefing....completely content one day and cursing the tank the next.

Yay!!!! Glad to hear it :happy:

Thanks guys. I think I might be able to take some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

Chris

Very true Chris. I just had to walk away, for a day. Let the tank run the way it was, then come back when I wasn't so upset about losing livestock and then take care of the problems that I created myself.

That's reefing indeed ... and the surprises we get sometimes when we discover organisms we never knew we had especially when looking at night.

I was surprised to find a bristle worm the other night while looking with the flashlight. I knew they were likely in there, but I had never actually seen one. Also, my stomatella population is once again booming, which is great. I love those little guys.

Looks great! ooooh that red planet!!!!!!! hopefully it cools down fast so I can send your nukes and PD's :P

Its already cooling off up here, 45 at night, yesterday I had to run the heat on my way to work at 6:30.

Archived