Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

tank just gives a nice warm fuzzy feeling haha, must be the lights

do you dose any nutrients to this tank?

Maybe because it's not very blue like a lot of reef tanks?

No, I don't dose anything. Occasionally I'll add a little squirt of liquid Ca supplement, but that's not a consistent thing.

Thanks, they're really bright!

I ripped them out of a grouper's ovary :) Got a bunch of ovaries from big food groupers

I just rinsed them and made my own frozen "flat packs" if you want some!

That's pretty cool! Thanks, but with the predator fish, I'm not really feeding much small food anymore. I still have to feed my clowns, but they'll eat just about anything, so they're easy. The lions and eel get silversides, krill, Hikari jumbo mysis, PE mysis, and live ghost shrimp right now.

That's pretty cool! Thanks, but with the predator fish, I'm not really feeding much small food anymore. I still have to feed my clowns, but they'll eat just about anything, so they're easy. The lions and eel get silversides, krill, Hikari jumbo mysis, PE mysis, and live ghost shrimp right now.

Ahh, I forgot about that!

What a switch from seahorses and gorgs!

• Like 1

Ahh, I forgot about that!

What a switch from seahorses and gorgs!

Seriously! Its way different, but this is so much easier now that I'm so busy. Going from feeding a minimum of 2 times a day, to only feeding 2-3 times per week is nice.

Seriously! Its way different, but this is so much easier now that I'm so busy. Going from feeding a minimum of 2 times a day, to only feeding 2-3 times per week is nice.

For me it's the opposite right now, I'm getting used to feeding this tank everyday instead of only a few times a week!

I said I'd get more close-ups, here's the first, one of the clowns

Clown%20FINAL22.jpg

• Like 4

Ok here's a pic! I just plopped them in the tank

2015-06-01%2000.14.51.jpg

Those are incredibly nice, like on a biological level. If they spawn, I may be able to raise some young, ORA could use them for their crappy Picasso bloodlines.

Sorry to hear about Leafy. Are you getting a nem for the clowns?

Those are incredibly nice, like on a biological level. If they spawn, I may be able to raise some young, ORA could use them for their crappy Picasso bloodlines.

Sorry to hear about Leafy. Are you getting a nem for the clowns?

Solomon Islands percs are always stunning imo :)

No, I don't think I would have the space for an anemone anyway. Or the bright lighting for that matter

• Like 3

Beautiful photography as usual Christina! Your ability to capture such clear fish photos still amazes me :) Also, that is a really striking clownfish.

Beautiful photography as usual Christina! Your ability to capture such clear fish photos still amazes me :) Also, that is a really striking clownfish.

Thank you! :) Luckily this clown was eager to pose!

Tank updates!

One of the clowns started harassing the other, so I moved him to my pico :(
The YCG lives in the Flame Algae....which is at the back of the tank so I never see it.

So today I added two cardinals, one Pearl Cardinal and one Sealei Cardinal.

Here's the Sealei at the LFS

IMG_1296.jpg

And the Pearl in my tank (sorry forgot to wipe the glass)

IMG_6561_1.jpg

I also added a small HH macro algae, which looks pretty cool, I'll get a pic up soon!

Also, I realized a few days ago marked my 5th year on NR! omgomgomg

Here's a silly picture with some of the yoshis I have collected to celebrate

2015-06-26%2019.32.30.jpg

• Like 6

what does HH mean?

i see you're getting some h. pannosa, have you ever had it before?

i tried some but it just melted away, wonder why. it was so pretty too.

what does HH mean?

i see you're getting some h. pannosa, have you ever had it before?

i tried some but it just melted away, wonder why. it was so pretty too.

Hitch-hiker

No, I haven't had it before. Hmm I hope that doesn't happen! :( Did it take a long time to melt? Or did it break apart and die?

I put in my order last Monday...but I haven't gotten an email or anything so I guess they must be shipping it out this week instead? :/ Usually they ship the same week if you order before Tuesday

phobos2deimos

I've got some macro that looks a lot like that, but pink/red (Scinaia Tsinglanensis). If you ever want to do a straight trade shoot me a message! I need more green! :D

sDfpTYt.jpg

Hitch-hiker

No, I haven't had it before. Hmm I hope that doesn't happen! :( Did it take a long time to melt? Or did it break apart and die?

I put in my order last Monday...but I haven't gotten an email or anything so I guess they must be shipping it out this week instead? :/ Usually they ship the same week if you order before Tuesday

when i got some i put it in my reef, it took a week to start melting, started in the center. cut out the good parts and put in my macro tank. started melting again, but then started growing. thought it would do better under reef lighting so i moved it again, and the rest melted.

seems sensitive to changes in water parameters, who knows what, maybe you could drip acclimate it? but that might be excessive for an algae lol.

also HH=hitch hiker lol, can't believe i forgot

I've got some macro that looks a lot like that, but pink/red (Scinaia Tsinglanensis). If you ever want to do a straight trade shoot me a message! I need more green! :D

sDfpTYt.jpg

Ooh pretty! I've seen that before, but the lady who had it said it was Scinaia complanata

Here's her picture. She got hers from a reefer local to her (in Ohio :()

10492615_10203194436381861_3300113395579

I would be happy to trade, however I only trade locally, if you're in the SF Bay Area, or (later this year) around San Diego/LA

when i got some i put it in my reef, it took a week to start melting, started in the center. cut out the good parts and put in my macro tank. started melting again, but then started growing. thought it would do better under reef lighting so i moved it again, and the rest melted.

seems sensitive to changes in water parameters, who knows what, maybe you could drip acclimate it? but that might be excessive for an algae lol.

also HH=hitch hiker lol, can't believe i forgot

Hmm probably didn't like your reef tank for some reason.

We'll see! I'm going to have some in my tank, some at the LFS, and some in a friend's tank, so we'll see which system it does the best in

HarryPotter

Ooh pretty! I've seen that before, but the lady who had it said it was Scinaia complanata

10492615_10203194436381861_3300113395579

I would be happy to trade, however I only trade locally, if you're in the SF Bay Area, or (later this year) around San Diego/LA

We'll see! I'm going to have some in my tank, some at the LFS, and some in a friend's tank, so we'll see which system it does the best in

Hmm Yoshii by the way a clown picking on the other is a normal thing as they pair off- the female establishes dominance

Hmm Yoshii by the way a clown picking on the other is a normal thing as they pair off- the female establishes dominance

Yes, however I've paired clowns many times before and this one was not working out unfortunately. They were probably too similar in size.

well, it actually melted in both tanks, and grew a little in both. when i moved it back to the reef there was just too little left, i guess.