Coral Vue Hydros

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

See, that's what I thought & that's what I've read in all the literature, but then I post a chalk bass thread in the Fish section and I get a person telling me "no" on the chalk bass with anything. Then I do a search on chalk bass here and there are tales of Moster 6" bass killing everything and then tales of 1.5" killing clowns and terrorizing everything in the tank. So now, kind of scratching my head on this fish. Like Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. Radioactive chalk bass or chalk bass got into the MDPD supply of cocaine, I don't know... Still looking to add a small shoal in my 36g.

Liz

6"? :eek: I thought they only got 3"? :huh:

6"? :eek: I thought they only got 3"? :huh:

Told ya, I think they got into like a box of steroids, or plutonium, or power bars... I don't know. :lol: :lol:

Told ya, I think they got into like a box of steroids, or plutonium, or power bars... I don't know. :lol: :lol:

They must have been talking about a different kind of bass...

They must have been talking about a different kind of bass...

That's what I think, but tell that to the yarn spinners... You know how guys like to tell tales of the "big one"!

No more cluttering of your thread! Post pix of the gobies tomorrow! I hope you get them to breed.

Liz

I'm pretty sure just keep one basslet in your tank and it should be fine, oh and no tiny shrimp

As I ponder this more, the plan is to keep a group of chalk bass. Not just one. They are actually found in groups in their habitat. Yeah, it's a bit odd, but I'd rather showcase one or two species maximum in a system rather than have a collection of species. From what I've read, it seem doable, just odd, especially for a reefer. This is a very Planted tank aesthetic. No, no tiny shrimp, the species I have picked out are a little larger, & would love a mated pair. If I'm so desparate for a goby or a blenny, I've got an 8g Finnex that's a great little nano, perfect for the little fish that get bullied. I actually really like sailfin blennies.

No more of me cluttering, back to your gobies! You're going to breed them, right?

Liz

As I ponder this more, the plan is to keep a group of chalk bass. Not just one. They are actually found in groups in their habitat. Yeah, it's a bit odd, but I'd rather showcase one or two species maximum in a system rather than have a collection of species. From what I've read, it seem doable, just odd, especially for a reefer. This is a very Planted tank aesthetic. No, no tiny shrimp, the species I have picked out are a little larger, & would love a mated pair. If I'm so desparate for a goby or a blenny, I've got an 8g Finnex that's a great little nano, perfect for the little fish that get bullied. I actually really like sailfin blennies.

No more of me cluttering, back to your gobies! You're going to breed them, right?

Liz

One thing is, I think you would need a bigger tank to keep more than one without aggression :/ I've read on some sites they can be kept together as long as theyre introduced at the same time, but other sources say differently :huh:

Um well I don't plan on breeding them, I just got them cause they're cute :lol: I've never researched how to breed them. I got a mated pair cause if I just got 2 random ones they would fight

One thing is, I think you would need a bigger tank to keep more than one without aggression :/ I've read on some sites they can be kept together as long as theyre introduced at the same time, but other sources say differently :huh:

Um well I don't plan on breeding them, I just got them cause they're cute :lol: I've never researched how to breed them. I got a mated pair cause if I just got 2 random ones they would fight

Read the same sites, and that's why it's a gamble, but one that could have good rewards if it works. I think if I get them teeny tiny, and get them together, it'll work. If it doesn't work, I'll take them back to the LFS and just keep one with an assortment of other species. No harm done. They're a local species, so it's not like I'm gambling with a $100 fish. ;) I'm gambling with a $10 fish. The joys of living in Miami, Caribbean livestock is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Aww, you should try to breed them! If it's possible. From what I've read, neons breed readily, but the fry are hard to raise, need a lot of care.

Read the same sites, and that's why it's a gamble, but one that could have good rewards if it works. I think if I get them teeny tiny, and get them together, it'll work. If it doesn't work, I'll take them back to the LFS and just keep one with an assortment of other species. No harm done. They're a local species, so it's not like I'm gambling with a $100 fish. ;) I'm gambling with a $10 fish. The joys of living in Miami, Caribbean livestock is cheap, cheap, cheap!

Aww, you should try to breed them! If it's possible. From what I've read, neons breed readily, but the fry are hard to raise, need a lot of care.

Well, if you really want to try I'd say get a ton of LR for them to hide/establish territories

Lucky! :P

Yeah they need lots of small food and I haven't even raised clownfish yet

altolamprologus
Yeah they need lots of small food and I haven't even raised clownfish yet

Simple solution: breed your clowns, then breed the neon gobies!!!! :D

DSC06300.jpg

On the way home

DSC06303.jpg

Acclimating, that's standard airline tubing btw for size comparison

DSC06304.jpg

DSC06305.jpg

No pics of them in the tank right now, I had to turn the lights off cause it's 82* (don't worry, I plugged in a fan too)

They look great in the tank, add a great little splash of bright blue! :wub:

Yes they are, I used to have a Green Mandarin, but he jumped out during a vacation, and I used to have Fang Blenny but he disappeared, no body, it was weird :huh:

Oh, Happy 4th guys! :D Have fun and be safe!

$35 for the pair, idk how much for each

Don't you already have too many fish and a phosphate problem?

looking at other tanks and people opinions, i could get another fish. but not right now. my phosphate isn't coming from overstocking, something else. my phosphate was at 0 back when i had 6 fish.

i blame the death of my hermits on my phosphate.

phosphate is falling back, though.

They look great in the tank, add a great little splash of bright blue! :wub:

Yes they are, I used to have a Green Mandarin, but he jumped out during a vacation, and I used to have Fang Blenny but he disappeared, no body, it was weird :huh:

Oh, Happy 4th guys! :D Have fun and be safe!

Pix... Please... :( It's not fair, they are too cute not to take pictures of.

I had a betta that just disappeared like that too. Looked everywhere for him. It is weird when there is no evidence... I suspect my cat had something to do with it. Evil cat.

Btw, I'm thinking about setting up my 8g Finnex. I hate Marine! It's so addicting. And I haven't even done the 36g yet. Bleh... Trying to find a crab that won't eat macro algae (no mithrax) and yet won't eat anything else either. Looking at the Arrow crabs...

Liz

altolamprologus
DSC06300.jpg

On the way home

DSC06303.jpg

Acclimating, that's standard airline tubing btw for size comparison

DSC06304.jpg

DSC06305.jpg

No pics of them in the tank right now, I had to turn the lights off cause it's 82* (don't worry, I plugged in a fan too)

AAAHHHHH THEY'RE SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent choice of fish :D