inTank Media Baskets

20xL mixed rimless - SELLING?

d9hp

Im sorry to hear that your trip to our store was not a good experience. I always try to be respectful to our customers. may I ask if you remember who helped you? Im the youngest guy with glasses. I hope you next trip will be much better.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im sorry to hear that your trip to our store was not a good experience. I always try to be respectful to our customers. may I ask if you remember who helped you? Im the youngest guy with glasses. I hope you next trip will be much better.

Well I certainly appreciate your attitude. Not many employees feel that way I'm afraid.

Two of the older gentlemen (balding) in there are always short with me. I think they just realize I'm not spending $1k on a new setup and get bored with the idea of me being in there.

I think the biggest issue is that last September when I went in there they essentially bashed the LEDs I was using/had built. Now they're large reef is lit solely by LEDs...just sayin'

Next time I go in I'll keep an eye out for you and be sure to say hello.

What's your name? I'll ask if I have to in order for you to help me out.

yea, my name is David. Just ask for me when you come in. I'm always there on Saturday and Sunday. I only work one weekday. Yea, the led scene here has changed. We got a $2000 led setup on our show tank now. Since we don't have the DIY stuff, led's get quite pricey.

I'm leaving for 6 days tonight, which will be the longest I've let the tank run on auto pilot. It's a little unnerving since the power in my place has gone out twice in the past week for more than 30 minutes each time. Hopefully everything goes well once I get back. If it does, I'm ordering a big 160g salt bucket (H2Ocean still....) and doing a week of water changes each day. I want to prune some of the softies that are thriving and try and use that money for a few fish in the 75g. The reef is more or less on auto-pilot and growing really well. It's still something I spend a few minutes a day looking at regardless of how busy I am.

Now that the 75g is done I am actually starting to determine how I want to redo this tank in the next few months. I will be moving all the fish into a holding tank and probably getting rid of all the corals...including my crocea, which has grown at least an inch in the last 6 months I've had it. I can probably find someone to hold onto her for me...I really love the clam.

I will be drilling this tank and adding a custom sump (made by me...), which will be tough given the small space under the tank. I'll use the eheim pump I already have as the return. I have the phosban reactor in there already too. I would like to put at least one MP10 on it...but that will have to wait since I will be back in school when this all happens.

I'm definitely going with a herbie style overflow in the back corner of the tank...I actually have a pretty sweet idea for how I'm going to hide it but I'll have to draw that one out first.

As for corals it will either be ALL SPS NO EXCEPTIONS PERIOD with crushed coral sized sand for super high flow...or an ALL euphyllia tank with lower flow. I mean get as many different strains of frogspawns and grape coral and wall hammers and branching hammers and every color torch I can think of. All as small as possible and just let it fill in the whole system over about 6 months.

Not sure what I will do but both are awesome and very different.

I will keep the final five fish I have no unless something happens (the anthias and both chromis will go to the 75g as soon as it is cycled). This will always be my only reef so I'd like to really make it something spectacular and fix all the little things I think could have been better....like not having a sump because I was too chicken to drill it myself...well that's not the case anymore. Ideally this tank would sit flush against the wall too...but I'm not sure how realistic that is since I don't think I want the return coming up through the bottom.

I also considered a peninsula but then I'd have to redo the stand and canopy...so that's totally out.

I'd love some ideas!

an all SPS tank would be sick. I feel that if you do an all euphyllia tank, you would run out of room quickly.

an all SPS tank would be sick. I feel that if you do an all euphyllia tank, you would run out of room quickly.

True, but the euphyllia normally don't bother each other.

Right now I am letting the tank coast with lots of feedings and water changes and things are doing well...except the SPS for some reason. I may just get 10 different kinds of zoanthids in here and let them slowly take over everything.

The reason I haven't been so involved with this tank is because of what is on the way for the 75g:

Screen%2520shot%25202011-06-11%2520at%25209.43.38%2520AM.png

Tuesday.

Apparently the Diver's Den will only list them once they are eating nutramar ova, frozen mysis, and frozen brine well...although I've read some accounts from others that say that their fish would only accept one of those after shipping. Now I am prepared for the fish to not take ANY prepared foods, but I'm hoping that they will be willing to eat from the water column. Otherwise I will be buying browned out corals for a few weeks while I train them. It is apparently one of the hardest things to do. Needless to say I really hope they are already eating frozen when they arrive.

I work from home now so I am literally 4 feet away from the tank for at least 8-9 hours a day, which is the ONLY reason I'm going with them.

What a gorgeous fish. What is it? Have never seen anything like it.

It's an orange spotted filefish. Oxymonacanthus longirostris

They only eat SPS polyps in the wild but occasionally Diver's Den has them pre-weaned onto frozen foods. I saw that they were in the Sneak Peek for yesterday and used a javascript I had written to reload the webpage every two seconds. I wrote that for this exact reason actually. I have always wanted these fish but haven't been in the right place to keep them financially or time wise.

I work from home now and can manage daily water changes if necessary. I have the space in the 75g, which is cycled and ready to go. There are a few chromis in there now (all healthy) so if that appears to be an issue I can remove them so it would be a species only tank for a while. The male does appear to be a bit more thin than the female but hopefully it's just the photo.

I have plenty of food already on hand for my other fish but I'm getting a shipment the same day the fish arrive:

Screen%2520shot%25202011-06-11%2520at%25201.10.49%2520PM.png

These are my girlfriend's all time favorite fish, which means she is finally excited about the new aquarium but also that if something happens to them I'm never going to hear the end of it.

So yeah...I'm excited...but nervous.

phi delt reefer

D9 looking good brother! U have any issues with fish fighting considering ur tank size?

I got a 40 I want to put an anthias in but am afraid it'll bully given the tank size

Also want to stock a flasher wrasse, tailspot blenny, couple of clowns, chromis, firefish, couple of pajama cardinals and a couple Tasha gobies.

D9 looking good brother! U have any issues with fish fighting considering ur tank size?

No outright fighting. The anthias has started to chase off the tiniest chromis occasionally but this has just started in the past few weeks. They are both moving to the 75g once the new OSFF are healthy and eating well. Either way, it's essentially a non-issue to me.

I got a 40 I want to put an anthias in but am afraid it'll bully given the tank size

Also want to stock a flasher wrasse, tailspot blenny, couple of clowns, chromis, firefish, couple of pajama cardinals and a couple Tasha gobies.

I like the stock list...just keep on the water changes. You have some messy fish in there!

Here's the order I'd stock that thing:

1. Chromis
  2. Firefish
  3. Clowns
  4. Gobies
  5. Blenny
  6. Cardinals
  7. Wrasse and Anthias same time

Now, only thing that really matters is that the wrasse and anthias go in together and last IMO. I have seen some more aggressive cardinals...so throw them in last as well.

I look forward to seeing that!

Also, I would recommend you find a small female anthias to add. I believe that was a big reason I have been successful. My sixline wrasse is actually a perfect citizen...I would have thought he'd be a little more upset with the space.

I also need to get a picture of my female clown. She is fat and HUGE. They were the same size when I first got them and now she is at least 50% larger and mean as sin to me...but just me.

phi delt reefer

have you thought about just mixing your own food and buying some sea food melody or something from an asian supermarket? Blend, then add some selcon, small pellet food, nori and other vitamin supps. You can buy those mini silicone cube ice trays on ebay to freeze the mix into single use cubes. Might save you a couple pennies ;)

melev has a good recipe on his site.

have you thought about just mixing your own food and buying some sea food melody or something from an asian supermarket? Blend, then add some selcon, small pellet food, nori and other vitamin supps. You can buy those mini silicone cube ice trays on ebay to freeze the mix into single use cubes. Might save you a couple pennies ;)

melev has a good recipe on his site.

I did try it once and it worked pretty well but it was a huge mess, a reasonable hassle, and not worth it overall I felt like.

I had to order online to get the Nutramar Ova for the filefish (was afraid it was all they'd end up eating) and figured I might as well stock up. I should have enough food for at least two months now before I order again...and then I will probably double the order and only get stuff they're all eating well.

do you have a link to a thread of your 75 on another forum?

There's one in my signature below the picture of my reef and also one over here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the cyano in the reef spread the past few days from overfeeding again. It's my own fault...but everything is really happy and my nitrates still read ZERO. Just being consumed as it's produced, as they say.

My dog brought me one of my chromis about 20 minutes ago...so I'm down to one in that tank. I have no idea where he jumped from but it sucks. I hate losing fish that way. The tank is covered and I haven't lost a fish to jumping in months! That's just one less I'll be moving to the 75g. I may only keep a single anthias in the 75g, I was expecting it would be a lot larger than it really is.

The reef will go down to 5 fish (from 7 now) and I may just let it coast for a few more months before changing anything. All the corals are doing well other than the remaining SPS, which are just simply living.

Not related to the reef but the files in the 75g are both eating really well! I have pictures in that thread of their bulging stomachs from today.

From one Wolfpacker to another (class of '10), beautiful tank. I thoroughly enjoyed perusing this thread.

From one Wolfpacker to another (class of '10), beautiful tank. I thoroughly enjoyed perusing this thread.

Thanks Metz! I really appreciate it.

Go pack!!!!!!!!!! I finish graduate school in December and I will certainly miss being a student but not writing so many checks to them haha.

Wrote this in Matt's thread but figured I'd update here since I preached about it for so long and now I've changed heart:

I CHANGED SALTS!

Well you're not going to expect this from me but I'd pass on the DD H2Ocean. I was having great results for quite some time but started to neglect the tank towards the end of the semester. After the AEFW breakout I lost a little heart...okay a lot of it. About two weeks ago I ran out of DD H2Ocean and didn't want to spend $40 on 50g worth of salt to have it shipped...especially since I had reef crystals on hand.

So I did a couple of small small changes with the RC. The SPS started getting color back. Now, I had been doing water changes with the H2Ocean but I hadn't been monitoring my parameters like I normally do. Well I kept using RC and things kept getting better and better.

Needless to say they are STILL looking better so I've switched back to reef crystals now. It's cheap and easy to get a hold of. A good buddy at the LFS between here and Greensboro (I drive there for work every other week now) sells the 200g boxes for $50. Can't beat that. Needless to say, I won't be going back to DD again. Magnesium isn't worth that to me and SPS are not as fickle as I made them out to be.

Sorry to hear about the tank but I'm glad you got it sorted out. I bet 2 175W will be perfect on that tank. Looking forward to it!

so have you figured out your future plans for this tank?

I am going to let it run until December as is unless something else comes up. If I am moving in January then I will move everything over to a 20L temporarily while I get this tank ready. If that does in fact happen I'll already have built the custom sump and gotten a new aquamaxx cone skimmer and MP10 :)

The lighting will not change and I will probably get rid of most of the softies in the tank but I could never get rid of my LPS. The frogspawn has been in the tank since after the cycle and has gone from a TINY single head to about 6. I want to keep it for a million years.

I finally took a new video of the tank. Pardon the cyano, I'm still feeding too much. I haven't been able to catch the anthias yet and I don't want to tear the tank apart to get her since she is still happy and obviously very healthy.

Still looks incredible d..so natural. Im gonna be pretty bummed when you take this down.

Thanks a lot Hype. It still has 6 months of life left and when it comes back alive it will be a far more efficient system. I will hate tearing it apart but I know it will end up coming out a lot better.

how many fish are in here? sump or no sump? skimmer? any algea? how often do you feed?

There are currently 7 fish. No sump. AquaC Remora HOB Skimmer. I feed at least twice a day sometimes 4-5 times. Mostly just NLS pellets.

I believe the tank can run just fine with this many fish but I just feed too much. I have to do water changes every 5 days to keep the cyano at bay. I have all the stuff I need to turn the AC70 into a cheato fuge but I just haven't gotten to actually setting it up. I think it would really help though since my nitrate has not read >0ppm basically ever.

I did the vodka dosing for a little while but did not have good results because I had such a hectic schedule at that time.

• 4 weeks later...
urastupidchimp

Just stumbled upon your tank. It's fantastic! Every time I look through a thread like this I like my tank a little less, lol.

Just started my 4 gallon about a month ago, so if you are ever willing to sell me some tiny frags... ;)

Just stumbled upon your tank. It's fantastic! Every time I look through a thread like this I like my tank a little less, lol.

Just started my 4 gallon about a month ago, so if you are ever willing to sell me some tiny frags... ;)

Yours will be there in time.

here but since you got such a great rock you'll be where I am much much sooner.

Oh yeah...come on by. This is a wolfpack friendly zone and you can see the file fish too. See the 75g in the signature.

may i ask why you feed so much?

I need to get some more pictures of my fish...because that will explain it.

I am in this hobby for the fish first and the coral as a nice backdrop. I love my clam though :)

I have different husbandry practices than most people in this hobby and as much as I hate algae I believe it comes with the territory to an extent. I have cyano and I believe I will for a long time based on how I feed...but it's in select places that doesn't spread and no one other than myself knows it's not supposed to be there.

Most people feed once a day...every other day...because they were told they 'overfeed' and that's why they have algae. How many predators are in your tank? Those are the only fish that don't spend their entire day looking for food. Watch any reef fish. Almost always their behavior is derived from their feeding habits entirely. I feed my tanks many times a day...in small amounts. My fish are fat and happy.

I can count the fish I've lost on both hands. It's because they are well fed and happy...not because of luck, which is something I don't buy into anyways.

I feed a lot and change water just as much. It's easy for me and it works. My fish are super fat and happy and before you say "mine are too" then you need to come see mine. Up close. It's almost comical.

Best,

D

Archived