SaltCritters.com

20xL mixed rimless - SELLING?

d9hp

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking about buying a battery backup for my system. Thought I am thinking you should be alright as long as you have decent roommates.

tundrashaul

I always keep a portable jump pack in the truck, Just like a car battery with a DC port as well. I picked up a converter to put on it to tide me over on a quality UPS.

Hope everything is okay man, bait shops usually have battery pumps if you are looking for future.

Walmart has one in the fishing section. I will eventually get one, though my truck has a built in converter so I figured if anything bad happens I can use it with an extension chord. Though now I am realizing something could happen when I'm not home.

Hope everything is ok with the tank.

+1

hope everythings ok dude

I was just thinking about buying a battery backup for my system. Thought I am thinking you should be alright as long as you have decent roommates.

I always keep a portable jump pack in the truck, Just like a car battery with a DC port as well. I picked up a converter to put on it to tide me over on a quality UPS.

Hope everything is okay man, bait shops usually have battery pumps if you are looking for future.

Walmart has one in the fishing section. I will eventually get one, though my truck has a built in converter so I figured if anything bad happens I can use it with an extension chord. Though now I am realizing something could happen when I'm not home.

Thanks everyone. It was certainly a stressful addition to my weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0muGAduESC8?version=3

My house is just a little bit to the right of this video. Where this thing went through is just terrible. There's trees down everywhere and power out in like half the city still. Power was only out for a few hours so I got extremely lucky. I think another two hours or two and it would have been a done deal. Tank pudding, so to speak.

No fish dead.

Lots of pissed off ####.

The AC70 pump got lodged when my roommate was turning everything back on, which is run in parallel with my skimmer...so I had to leave those off all night. This means that all the pods and life in each died and I had to clean them when I got home. I did a large water change and am preparing another for tomorrow if necessary.

The large birdsnest completely died, but that was looking back before I left anyways.

The tank is a little angry right now after cleaning so many things up but I don't think it's going to be too devastating.

This is a couple miles from my place:

9456725-1303072624-600x450.jpg

I've learned another valuable lesson. I should have bought that damn generator way before instead of assuming I could just go and buy one if I ever needed it. You can get them for $200 these days..but NOT the day of.

Anyways, Savannah was rad. There are no laws governing open containers there (like New Orleans and Las Vegas) so I asked for a lot of beers to go. Something about exploring a super old city while drinking beer really did it for me. I have been a number of times but this was the first that I absolutely loved.

After my roommate called about the restoration of power I bought a bottle of:

jameson_whiskey2.jpg

No, I don't feel good today.

Tank appears to be fine overall but I'll be watching tentatively.

Good deal man! Glad everything worked out for you.

BTW another option that is less than a generator I've read is to get a 12V car battery and an inverter that's sufficient to what you plan on running. I found a 300W on ebay for $25 and walmart has a lawnmower battery for $25. Of course if you were running 300W I don't know how long the battery would last. But you might be able to toss a coralia on a timer and not have to worry about stirring the water. Maybe a small watt heater to hopefully maintain the water temp in the display tank.

Just a thought. Though a generator would be able to run the tank without interruption.

Glad everything is good. thats pretty serious a storm like that coming through. On a good note that kind of stuff makes me work.

Hope everyone is ok

gg

So no major losses this week.

I did notice that an acro that I thought was nothing but a skeleton (after the AEFW got it) has some polyps and tissue showing some great color today.

I feel like I've been neglecting this tank to an extent but really the damn softies and LPS are growing way too fast for me to keep up with them. I am considering getting rid of the SPS I have left and letting the tank turn into survival of the meanest...though I don't want a tank full of GSP.

We'll see.

On an awesome note my clowns appear to be preparing the rock next to their brain coral (shhhh they think it's a retarded anemone) to lay eggs. If that's not what they're doing then I have no idea but I definitely would consider my fish to be a mated pair at this point....which is something I am really excited about. They are getting darker and darker but I still think they're absolutely beautiful fish and have the strangest personalities.

I'll try and get a video of that as well as some picture updates.

The 75g tank has been sucking up a lot of my time but I've made some great progress. I started a separate thread on that one in the "Large Reef Tanks" forum here...even though it's not a reef!

• 2 weeks later...
How's the tank going?

It's going. All the fish and inverts are doing fine but my all my birdsnest are showing some issues. I lost all my acros to AEFW and my digitatas are doing fine. I believe part of the problem is the power outage. I know violinist had some serious issues after he was without power for a few hours later down the road...but I hope it's nothing too serious. Everything else seems fine.

All my fish are doing really well though and I'm excited about moving the anthias over to the 75g tank and I may consider moving the chromis to lower the bioload and reduce some of the maintenance overhead.

The softies and LPS are going absolutely crazy, which causes most of my preliminary issues with the SPS from all the touching and warfare.

I rigged a charger for my JVC handheld HD camera so I'll have to get another shot of the tank at feeding time.

Some of the corals have exploded though I really miss my big birdsnest centerpiece. It was certainly one of the more beautiful corals I had and I grew it out/colored it up considerably.

Pictures and a moving coming soon. This is my finals/projects week with school though so it may have to wait for the weekend unless I find some time.

peektures?!... I do recall some drilling occuring?

The drilling was for the sump on my 75g tank linked in my sig. I was mucking up this thread with all that stuff and figured most people wanted to follow this for the reef and not my weird enjoyment of just the fishes.

I may get another clam for this tank though...I have space for it now that the big birdsnest colony died on me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just an overall update...I feed this tank A TON. I sometimes get some algae growth on days that I dose phyto and oyster feast, which I don't do daily anymore now that I have so many fish. There's plenty of nutrients in the water column and I think my weekly water changes are all I need to keep the nitrates at zero. I'm considering dropping out the dosing entirely though now that the only real corals I have are digitatas and caps.

This tank will most likely be resurrected as SPS only one day. I'm definitely going to drill&sump it.

glad to see your tank is still cruising right along.

when your current bucket of salt is empty will you buy another? Meaning will you stick with the h2ocean? Or are you going to switch back to a cheaper salt?

I probably wont stick with it. Ever since the complete switch i've lost 1 lps & all of my sps. Not talking much, maybe $30 in sps, but it still hurts.

I'm on my second bucket and I'll never put another brand of salt in a reef. Period.

I honestly attribute most of my success to it. I barely dose anything now and just let weekly water changes take care of things. I would look into some other stuff before blaming the H2Ocean. I've heard good things about Red Sea, Tropic, and ESV salts though.

I'll be using Reef Crystals on my FOWLR build...I would normally go with IO but I figured for $5 more dollars I could try and promote some coraline growth.

Glad to see you back after you vanished for a while.

Glad to see you back after you vanished for a while.

i got put on one crazy ass schedule at work. for the last month or 2 i didnt know if i was comming or going. Finally fell into a rhythm with said schedule & now getting back to some normalcy.

i'll always be around, just at very odd hours at times. So dont be suprised if you see a coment from me at 3am.

:-)

Just picked up a box of reef crystals.... Since IO has been okay for my minus the lack of Mg I might as well go ahead and pick up the better version.

gutterguy
I was mucking up this thread with all that stuff and figured most people wanted to follow this for the reef and not my weird enjoyment of just the fishes.

its your thread, you can muck it up all you want. Plus we dont mind :D

i got put on one crazy ass schedule at work. for the last month or 2 i didnt know if i was comming or going. Finally fell into a rhythm with said schedule & now getting back to some normalcy.

i'll always be around, just at very odd hours at times. So dont be suprised if you see a coment from me at 3am.

:-)

Yeah I hear you with the crazy schedule...at least you're not reporting any major losses.

Just picked up a box of reef crystals.... Since IO has been okay for my minus the lack of Mg I might as well go ahead and pick up the better version.

Yeah IO is a proven salt but it doesn't have all the things necessary for a reef to thrive. I hope reef crystals works out for the FOWLR.

its your thread, you can muck it up all you want. Plus we dont mind :D

+1.

haha thanks guys. The FOWLR build is almost complete...I had to buy flights to NYC today for a wedding in June so that delays the MP40 a bit...but not the build!

Will you be at Reefsmart?

-Dave

I hope so. I start work that week and actually will be in Greensboro for a week sometime...I want to make it though. I have a big empty space I'd like to fill with a clam or something since the birdsnest died...or maybe just find another nice birdsnest colony that fits.

You bringing some LED stuff for me to gawk at?

haha thanks guys. The FOWLR build is almost complete...I had to buy flights to NYC today for a wedding in June so that delays the MP40 a bit...but not the build!

did someone say nyc? if you have some off time during said trip lmk.

Yeah man...I'll let you know for sure are there some good LFS in the city? I'd love to do a little tour of them if I have some time off from the wedding stuff. I used to visit the city 4-5 times a year as an undergrad because I had lots of close friends in school up there so I don't really have any serious plans this time around besides the wedding.

Yeah man...I'll let you know for sure are there some good LFS in the city? I'd love to do a little tour of them if I have some time off from the wedding stuff. I used to visit the city 4-5 times a year as an undergrad because I had lots of close friends in school up there so I don't really have any serious plans this time around besides the wedding.

i'd have to ask ap123, Mr.Microscope or Dhaut. I dont normally go fish/coral shopping in nyc due to the fact im at work. Parking generally sucks & the 26 mile drive home usually takes an hour. Theres a bunch of cool shops out on the island where i live, but thats a small trek from nyc

i'd have to ask ap123, Mr.Microscope or Dhaut. I dont normally go fish/coral shopping in nyc due to the fact im at work. Parking generally sucks & the 26 mile drive home usually takes an hour. Theres a bunch of cool shops out on the island where i live, but thats a small trek from nyc

It's not too bad I've been out to Montauk a couple of times actually.

I am uploading a video I just took....because I'm procrastinating studying more. I had today off work and got a lot done but now that it's 7PM I just can't stay motivated.

I couldn't find my nice camera so I had to turn up the white LEDs for this one to even look reasonable.

There's a critter that has been in the tank for almost two months that I haven't mentioned that makes an appearance. I wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues with him as Hype had actually suggested for me NOT to do this...but I was told by a few other people it wouldn't be an issue as they had successfully done it some.

Once you guys figure out the critter I'll explain my experiences.

Update in about an hour...youtube is being slow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well

It's in 1080p but the water looks a cloudy in it for some reason...it's not.

The big birdsnest that's still in the center is most likely not going to make it. Sucks...it's such a cool piece. I need to do a week of 20% water changes sometime soon.

Oh well.

Okay I'm definitely going to study now........well after the sharks win. Canes are out...so I pull for my western team.

DSC_0844.jpg

All 8

DSC_0847.jpg

Darth:

DSC_0850.jpg

Shrimp cave

DSC_0855.jpg

Big time distortion

DSC_0862.jpg

20 minutes ago:

DSC_0843.jpg

Okay I'm definitely going to study now........well after the sharks win. Canes are out...so I pull for my western team.

Go Wings!

Tank looks great even after everything it's been through in the last couple of weeks.

Archived