SaltCritters.com

20xL mixed rimless - SELLING?

d9hp

gutterguy

Tank looks amazing D!!

Only critter that I can see make an entrance is a blood shrimp but I thought youve mentioned that before.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go Wings!

Tank looks great even after everything it's been through in the last couple of weeks.

Ahhhh damn Datsuk taking the lead in the 2nd. Thanks for the compliment!

Tank looks amazing D!!

Only critter that I can see make an entrance is a blood shrimp but I thought youve mentioned that before.

ding ding ding...have I already mentioned him? He's great...but I only see him when I feed. He stays under the surface skimming box all the time and never bothers a thing...he's the most brilliant red.

Thanks again

what i like about your tank is that it actually looks like a reef.

Thanks...sometimes that requires things getting stung and subsequently dying unfortunately.

This is beautiful, well done.

Thanks spanko...much appreciated.

gutterguy
ding ding ding...have I already mentioned him? He's great...but I only see him when I feed. He stays under the surface skimming box all the time and never bothers a thing...he's the most brilliant red.

What kind of issues did hype tell you to watch? Ive been wanting to get one but they are like $40 at all the lfs around here and have not been able to drop that on one yet.

I have not researched them at all but arent they a type of cleaner shrimp?

Yeah they are a cleaner shrimp... I have one in my tank. They'll be REALLY timid for a long while but they will warm up.... You'll still only see them about 50% of the time but they are still awesome.

The only real issue I can see is him going nuts on the coral you just fed. Just feed them first and again you should be alright.

What kind of issues did hype tell you to watch? Ive been wanting to get one but they are like $40 at all the lfs around here and have not been able to drop that on one yet.

I have not researched them at all but arent they a type of cleaner shrimp?

Yeah they are a cleaner shrimp... I have one in my tank. They'll be REALLY timid for a long while but they will warm up.... You'll still only see them about 50% of the time but they are still awesome.

The only real issue I can see is him going nuts on the coral you just fed. Just feed them first and again you should be alright.

Well apparently they are pretty aggressive towards other shrimp and my cleaner shrimp was a risk with him. They fortunately inhabitant complete opposite sides of the tank and I've never seen a single issue. I'd have the fire shrimp over the cleaner...just because of how incredible the red is. I hear if you have 3 or 4+ they are out all the time though.

I got mine from blue zoo with the other big shipment and it was like $25 that way....well worth it.

violinist

Blood shrimp are great, I've had mine for over a year. He hangs out upside down in the shadows most of the time, but as soon as food hits the water he's scurrying around like he hasn't eaten in a month.

Tank looks great!

Tank still looks incredible D. Awesome pics and vid...im so jealous. Hopefully you wont have any long term issues keep the two shrimp as long as the cleaner respects the blood shrimps space.

Blood shrimp are great, I've had mine for over a year. He hangs out upside down in the shadows most of the time, but as soon as food hits the water he's scurrying around like he hasn't eaten in a month.

Tank looks great!

Thanks for stopping in violinist.

How much has yours grown? Mine molts about once every 3-4 weeks. Is that normal in your experience? Both the cleaner and the fire shrimp molted immediately after the power outage...I would assume stress also triggers it.

Tank still looks incredible D. Awesome pics and vid...im so jealous. Hopefully you wont have any long term issues keep the two shrimp as long as the cleaner respects the blood shrimps space.

Thanks buddy. I don't know why you'd be jealous...of all people! I appreciate the compliments though...they mean a lot coming from people I've learned from like you and violinist.

I think they are going to be okay for a while since the blood shrimp has his own cave. It's pretty funny when I feed though because winston the YWG is right outside his "cave" and sometimes the shrimp will grab him before Winston swims off.

In my future tank (the big, big, big one) I want to have at least 8-10 of each type of shrimp and see what happens. There will be a lot of real estate in the tank and I'll release them all at once on opposite ends of the 8ft tank. That's looking like its farther away than I thought though...it's amazing (amazingly depressing) how expensive this hobby is!

TheNordCelt

Hey Nice Video! We should meet up some time at down under, I've got a birdsnest frag I grew from a little chip broken in the move thats growing pretty fast now if you want another one.

Pat

Hey Nice Video! We should meet up some time at down under, I've got a birdsnest frag I grew from a little chip broken in the move thats growing pretty fast now if you want another one.

Pat

Yeah man that's an awesome idea.

What do you want from my tank?

How about a piece of your pink cap?

I can't frag the one in the center because the only piece that's actually starting to show growth away from the rock is what you can see in the pictures...and I've been waiting for that to grow out for like 4 months haha.

The one on the far right is actually better looking and I can probably get you a piece of that. The purple one in the center is no longer there.

I can get you most any softies though. The LPS I can't really frag without taking the tank apart.

TheNordCelt
I can't frag the one in the center because the only piece that's actually starting to show growth away from the rock is what you can see in the pictures...and I've been waiting for that to grow out for like 4 months haha.

The one on the far right is actually better looking and I can probably get you a piece of that. The purple one in the center is no longer there.

I can get you most any softies though. The LPS I can't really frag without taking the tank apart.

Oh sorry didn't realize that man, but looking back you did say all you had left were monti's

The one on the right would be awesome if you can get a piece.

What about Zoa's , how are they? I've got some acro's I could frag and grow out a little for you till your tank is over the flatworms.

Oh sorry didn't realize that man, but looking back you did say all you had left were monti's

The one on the right would be awesome if you can get a piece.

Oh no worries man I feel bad the one thing you want is one of the few things I can't really frag without removing/changing drastically.

I can probably get a piece of that for you for sure....but just a heads up the whole piece is small so a frag of anything will be small.

What about Zoa's , how are they? I've got some acro's I could frag and grow out a little for you till your tank is over the flatworms.

Personally, I love my zoas. I have like 4 different colors that look great when they grow into one another. I could give you a couple polyps of each for sure. Also, I know most people hate GSP but the strain I have is absolutely the coolest green I've seen. If you have a small place to isolate I would add it. Just let me know.

That's really nice of you with the acros but I think I'm going to hold off on acros in this tank for a few months...it was really rough watching my favorite pieces grow from .25" clippings and then get eaten and die within two weeks.

The montis are still nice to have around...but the SPS thing has really soured the tank for me to an extent. I'd like to try again but I'll wait until I can move all of the livestock in this one to another tank or sell it all and restart entirely. The only thing I'll add are SPS frags after dipping every other day for a full week.

• 2 weeks later...
How much has yours grown? Mine molts about once every 3-4 weeks. Is that normal in your experience? Both the cleaner and the fire shrimp molted immediately after the power outage...I would assume stress also triggers it.

Hmm, I can't really remember how big he was when I bought him. I've never thought 'wow that thing is really getting big' so I think he's always been around the same size.

Molts maybe once every few months, maybe not even that frequently.

Hmm, I can't really remember how big he was when I bought him. I've never thought 'wow that thing is really getting big' so I think he's always been around the same size.

Molts maybe once every few months, maybe not even that frequently.

I have noticed that my blood shrimp molts far less frequently than my cleaner and hasn't grown nearly as fast. The cleaner was the smallest I had ever seen when it arrived and now it's almost as big as the blood, which was still smaller than most I've seen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the lack of updates / being away from the forum almost completely the last couple weeks. I have been insanely busy.

I finished all my exams and a big project week before last and started a new job. Last week was my first week and I had a pretty big deadline and I'm traveling away from home training some more this week. I finish school in December! Sweet.

Here's a video on the project that we put together instead of a presentation for our final. It was a small scale intelligent transportation system using some pretty sweet computer vision stuff. My concentration is robotics and this was the culmination of most of my path generation and path tracking research. When the robots are on the black lines, it's just a simple local controller doing all the work but when it goes into the blank parking area that's all dynamic (including obstacle avoidance)

Anyway, the tank looked great when I left and things seem to be getting back to normal after two back to back big 5g water changes. It was more like ten separate one gallon changes over two days.

My goal is to have the 75g wet and running by Sunday. I had planned on traveling all of last week but I needed to get a board out and the spin required a proof of concept with the existing HW we had...so I spent all last week coding up some nasty embedded stuff.

Enough nerd talk. I'll take pictures when I get back but definitely keep an eye on my 75g thread because I have all the stuff at my house ready to get setup.

im a nerd wannabe -- that was an awesome video! and the soundtrack just made it! I have to admit i was expecting some robot wars type ordeal -- where all of a sudden AI was just 'randomly' acquired and all hell broke loose!! awesome stuff dude!

Thanks twister...never seen your tanks before but I think it's time you start the thread for that 75g...especially since I have one too now.

I used to dream about 20L, 40B, and 75g tanks. I skipped the middle road but have both of the others!

Which LFS do you like most?

Added an emerald crab today because I found some bubble algae breaking out. I haven't seen my blue porcelain crab in months...I still think it's alive though because of how often I feed. When I setup my big big tank one day I think I'll add like 15 of them hoping to see one or two occasionally.

75g is up now and looking good but it hasn't detracted from the 20L...it has actually made me more willing to set aside time for the both of them. I've done two large water changes this week and hopefully can knock out another 3-4 in the next week. I'd like to feel like I have 100% fresh water after a few of those SPS losses.

All the fish are great...and fat. The anthias really needs the 75g to be cycled because she is now definitely larger than my clowns and growing still. Beautiful fish.

yea, i really need to update my threads. I converted the 46 into the 75. I might try and make the thread today. As for my favorite LFS, I have to go with the fish room ( I work there part time on summer break) but they were my favorite LFS before I got the job.

yea, i really need to update my threads. I converted the 46 into the 75. I might try and make the thread today. As for my favorite LFS, I have to go with the fish room ( I work there part time on summer break) but they were my favorite LFS before I got the job.

That's awesome...they have a really nice store but every time I have been in there I haven't been treated the way I'd like to be...so since you're working there you can change that: When long haired hippy freaks come in to your store find out if they actually know what they're doing before you start treating them like they're idiots.

Bad storm today. Power went out. I waited about 40 minutes before I started freaking out and went to the store and bought a generator. Got a gas can, filled it up, and came on home. Power was already back on. I would have just kept it all on hand for a later date but I'm going to NYC next weekend for a wedding and I just can't swing the extra expense if I didn't absolutely have to have it.

Cyano has taken over half my sandbed. I've done three 5g water changes this week (actually 15 1g changes) but haven't seen too much change. It's not getting worse obviously and my nitrates are still zero. I think I'll do a nice vacuum and lights out period once I get three of the fish into the 75g. I think that going with 5 total will be nice and simple...and allow me to just feed as I like and keep everything happy.

There's a mombasse lionfish on DD tonight that I would love to put in the 75g...but it's not ready.

-D

Archived