Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wiil's 5 gallon hex

Wiilio

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to interrupt the froggy discussion, but I just had a thought.

I'm going to NC State tomorrow.

Afterwards, we're going to The Fish Room.

Perhaps they have a way to keep a fish alive in a bag for 2.5 hours (I say 2.5 just in case we hit traffic)? If so, I'd jump on a Talbot's. And the prolifera, which I wouldn't have to worry about I don't think. So I guess I'll be getting the prolifera tomorrow! And MAYBE the fish.

Whether they do or not, I'll be taking pictures on my phone which I may or may not upload. So if you want me to send you pictures straight to your phone, send me a PM and I'll give you my number so I can send what I take to you. And if you have my number, you can ask me to take certain pictures. Even if you don't want me to send them to you, you can still send me a PM telling me what you want to see, and I'll get pictures.

Hate to interrupt the froggy discussion, but I just had a thought.

I'm going to NC State tomorrow.

Afterwards, we're going to The Fish Room.

Perhaps they have a way to keep a fish alive in a bag for 2.5 hours (I say 2.5 just in case we hit traffic)? If so, I'd jump on a Talbot's. And the prolifera, which I wouldn't have to worry about I don't think. So I guess I'll be getting the prolifera tomorrow! And MAYBE the fish.

Whether they do or not, I'll be taking pictures on my phone which I may or may not upload. So if you want me to send you pictures straight to your phone, send me a PM and I'll give you my number so I can send what I take to you. And if you have my number, you can ask me to take certain pictures. Even if you don't want me to send them to you, you can still send me a PM telling me what you want to see, and I'll get pictures.

take a small bucket with you. In enough water the fish will be fine for 2.5+hrs.

Didn't have the fish, didn't have the crab, didn't even have cheap frags :/ But they do sell water. I'll need that eventually.

The guy that I talked to was great. We talked about our tanks, and he took a particular interest in what I had and what I wanted to do with my tank. When I asked about the Talbot's, he said he had no idea what it was and wanted to see one. He talked about his 120 gallon tank and what was in it, and asked me about plans I had for mine, etc. He asked what fish I had in mine and I said none yet, and then he had suggested a rainfordi goby. Had a bit of a brain fart and forgot what it was, so he went and grabbed a book and showed me. Said he had never seen one get to the size in the book (2.6"). He even gave me a piece of some macro (seen it before, don't remember the name) for free, since I said I wanted something to cover up the back of the tank. Once this fills out (and hopefully gets darker like the piece that he cut it from) it'll look absolutely amazing.

Overall I'm very pleased with this store (The Fish Room); it's just not great if you don't have a lot of money. Good quality products and very helpful staff (or at least one guy was very helpful :P ).

Pictures:

1115001610c.jpg

1115001610b.jpg

1115001610a.jpg

1115001610.jpg

1115001609b.jpg

1115001609a.jpg

1115001609.jpg

New tank shots will be up in a few.

OH #### that is an expensive store! 350$ for a hammer coral!!!!! I don't give a damn how big it is, that is ridiculous. that thing should have at least 40 heads to be worth close to that much. smaller frogspawn and xenia both 70$?? crazy mother####ers.

plus, I wouldn't recommend a rainford's for your tank as per our previous discussion on that matter. I love mine, but it doesn't accept introduced foods. It needs a larger, more mature tank than what you have. It'd do nicely in a 10g with lots of algae or a 20.

I'd rather have a Talbot's anyway. :P Pretty sure he was just going by the size of it, not care requirements. When he asked what kind of filter I had and I told him it was a canister filter for a 40g, I'm pretty sure he thought I was nuts haha. I liked him though; really glad that he took an interest into what I had and stuff.

They had some $10 frags that had potential but they were mostly kenya and xenia.

You should've seen the fungia prices... I think they were like $50 or $60... don't know if that's typical or not but that's too much for me.

Anywho crappy tank pictures:

1115002010.jpg

1115002010a.jpg

Nice Halimenia. I think its Halimenia monitile. Yeah thats crazy prices for fungia, I have a sorta lfs and they have prices like that. Too expensive.

Oh I realized I'm going to have to trade you for some of my frags when they grow out enough for you. I have very few easy to keep coral to go into the 46 :slap: No worries tho, I'll leave it be with the stuff I have for a few months.

And the nice thing about sun corals, the more you feed it, the faster It'll grow.

Well now I know. Thanks! I'm just ready for it to grow up. Hopefully it'll go as "fast" as the RGA is. Also planning on getting the porcelain crab tomorrow.

Which ones? And that's of course IF they grow. I don't think I'm going to have a place for those brown-green palys and my light isn't enough to make them green (although I do have a crazy plan for a new lighting system involving LED strips). I really want to do something with the pipe organ but I'm not sure what yet. The blue cloves are spreading pretty well (or just recovering, I don't know which) and they'll go back in once they spread some more.

One of the two black suns is out. I'll feed them again when they're both out.

Well now I know. Thanks! I'm just ready for it to grow up. Hopefully it'll go as "fast" as the RGA is. Also planning on getting the porcelain crab tomorrow.

Which ones? And that's of course IF they grow. I don't think I'm going to have a place for those brown-green palys and my light isn't enough to make them green (although I do have a crazy plan for a new lighting system involving LED strips). I really want to do something with the pipe organ but I'm not sure what yet. The blue cloves are spreading pretty well (or just recovering, I don't know which) and they'll go back in once they spread some more.

One of the two black suns is out. I'll feed them again when they're both out.

I still have cloves, and the green ones too. I'd be looking for small pieces of gsp, psp, and yellow polyps down the road as well as pipe organ probably. ('m gonna try to get my hands on some cool types of xenia and let that grow wild. My lfs owner said xenia is the number one coral he wants to buy cause it sells so fast.)

Lol, LEDs over this tank would be epic imo.

If these ever grow and spread, I'll be sure to send some to you. What kind of xenia would it be? Pictures?

It'd be the most ghetto setup ever and would require one of those power strips because of all the plugs, but it's the best I can do really. I'd take 3 to 5 bars of LEDS (1 white/2 blue or 2 white/3 blue, or maybe the other way around), glue them to a piece of plywood painted black, and make some sort of feet to hold it on the rim of the tank.

It's either that or I find something like that already made and (most likely) pay double. DIY projects are out of the question. If anyone has suggestions it'd be great; I really want to upgrade my lighting.

I want something like this but this is WAY out of my price range:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_Panora...TFILDLK-vi.html

If these ever grow and spread, I'll be sure to send some to you. What kind of xenia would it be? Pictures?

It'd be the most ghetto setup ever and would require one of those power strips because of all the plugs, but it's the best I can do really. I'd take 3 to 5 bars of LEDS (1 white/2 blue or 2 white/3 blue, or maybe the other way around), glue them to a piece of plywood painted black, and make some sort of feet to hold it on the rim of the tank.

It's either that or I find something like that already made and (most likely) pay double. DIY projects are out of the question. If anyone has suggestions it'd be great; I really want to upgrade my lighting.

I want something like this but this is WAY out of my price range:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_Panora...TFILDLK-vi.html

I dunno what type yet. Or when I'm gonna try all my sources. I don't wanna go out an buy xenia lol. lots of people just toss it out.

DIY LEDs from rapid leds will cost you around $120.

PC light fixtures go for around 50-70 depending on what youre buying.

T5 is a nice option. Idk what you would do for that though, coralife i guess has something cheap.

Iiiiiiii don't want to do DIYs. Last time I tried that I messed up a perfectly good tank. This would be even worse because it involves wires :/

plan your lighting carefully or youll wind up like many people including myself who have spent hundreds only on getting the perfect light for our tanks. I went through 2 light switches myself. unnecessary money loss.

That said, the coralife T5 11" light is a bargain at around $50. just dont know where you can find replacement bulbs of quality.

Archived