Red grape algae

Halimeda monile

Equipment:

Coralife 10W 50/50 bulb (stock hood)

Rio Mini Sun 10W Daylight/Moonlight LED

Elite 25W heater

Fluval 205 canister filter

- AquaClear 30 intake tube

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a 5 gallon hex tank laying around awhile back, so I decided to convert it into a saltwater tank. It started out as two big pieces of live rock and a 4" layer of live sand. The filter was a small in-tank filter that took up a lot of room. So I went out and bought another 5 gallon hex, and asked the local glass shop if they could cut the old one to make a back filter chamber like andru24 had planned. They tried to cut it, but it melted back together almost immediately, so I went filter hunting and bought a Fluval 205 canister filter... yeah, 180 GPH, meant for a 40 gallon tank... figured it could handle a 5 gallon tank. So I set it all up, busted the two big pieces of live rock into smaller pieces, and here's what I have:

0728001248.jpg

I used the intake tube from an AquaClear 30 because the one that came with the canister filter was too big.The filter added about 2.5 gallons to the system, so it all gets filtered in about 3 minutes. The flow is strong on the surface, then hits the wall, goes to the bottom, and moves back into the middle, so the whole tank gets nice circulation.

The live sand has been established for about 2 months now, but I'll still give the tank at least another 2 weeks before I put anything in it. The question is: What do I put in it? Pretty sure the system can handle a heavy bioload... Right now I'm thinking a greenbanded goby and 3 sexy shrimp, plus some polyps (green star polyp is top on my list).

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! man that filter is way overrated for your system lol. looking good man. I'll add you to the nr hex list in the morning.

Nice! man that filter is way overrated for your system lol. looking good man. I'll add you to the nr hex list in the morning.

Haha yeah, but it works really well. The tank is still crystal clear two days after setting it up. And all that flow on the top creates a nice ripple effect. Even without polyps or fish, it looks amazing. It's just a question of what can handle the current. That's why I was thinking of getting a goby, since they like to stick around the rocks. If I got something like a damsel, they would be doing more swimming and would hit that spot where the flow goes to the wall... or could a damsel handle that? But it's nice to know that any fish that can fit in here comfortably isn't going to have any issues with bioload :P

I think a damsel would do alright if it had caves to retreat to. those guys are tough. perhaps you could also dial down the flow a bit. I think you could do a damsel and a goby together with your filter system. It'll be more down to swimming space really.

parishilton

So there is someone as crazy as me.

I also use overkilled filter for my pico. Eheim Liberty 2042 (for aquariums up to approx. 50 gal) for my 5G :lol:

I think a damsel would do alright if it had caves to retreat to. those guys are tough. perhaps you could also dial down the flow a bit. I think you could do a damsel and a goby together with your filter system. It'll be more down to swimming space really.

Is there a way to do that with this filter? I can't really find any way to do that. There are actually some nifty hiding places with the way these rocks are set up. Two good caves, and some nice platforms for polyps.

So there is someone as crazy as me.

I also use overkilled filter for my pico. Eheim Liberty 2042 (for aquariums up to approx. 50 gal) for my 5G :lol:

How is that working for you? The only complaint I have with mine is that the flow hits the wall, goes down, and displaced a lot of sand. But I took a rock I picked up at the beach and put it where the sand was being blown out and everything's fine.

Well, I decided to go with a firefish and three sexy shrimp. Everything's adjusting, and the firefish has found his favorite hiding place. He'll bop out for about 2 seconds and then slip back in. I got green star polyp, green zoanthids, and two mushrooms (one teal and one indigo). I also got a better bulb. It's a 50/50 10W bulb.

Here's a shot of the whole tank (forgive the bad quality):

fishtankd.jpg

Maybe one of these days my sister will come home with the good camera so I can take better pictures of all of it. I'll update whenever anything changes.

Well there's a plastic thing under the hood that keeps the water from getting in the fixture (and the fish in the tank) and I'm afraid it would melt if I tried to to use a 20W.

Really wasn't suggesting you do it, was in jest. Nice looking tank though. Maybe you could go with a DIY LED fixture or a PAR38 would work well for ya.

Maybe eventually. I'll see how this goes first.

I saw the firefish showing some interest in some small bubbles floating by, so I put a pinch of flake food in there. Lo and behold...

0730002028.jpg

He came out :) And now that he's finished his meal, he's been looking around the tank more and more. Beautiful fish, and for a great price!

Everything's starting to come out. Zoos, GSP, mushrooms, and even the fish is getting more comfortable. The sexies are amusing. And the zebra hermit is very active.

0731001342b.jpg

I'm thinking about adding a branch-like piece of LR to the tank. I'd prop it on the back wall of the tank at the top and have it come across to the front of the LR I already have. Then I could put higher-light polyps on it and fill up the top of the tank.

Unfortunately, the first firefish died :( Towards the end of the second day he was acting odd, and by the third he was gone. But I did get a new one today (after making sure it was nothing in my tank that killed the first one). This one... doesn't act like a firefish AT ALL! This one is out... all... the... time. It didn't even dart into the rock... THE WHOLE DAY! It just stayed out in the open. Other than having a few nips in the tail (it was being kept with like five other firefish and this one had the least nips) it looked very healthy. I got it home and it immediately started checking things out.

I wasn't home most of the day, but I do know that it stayed out the whole time. When I turned out the light, I made sure to leave a flashlight on to see what it would do. It had to LOOK for a place in the rock because it hadn't been in it yet! It went from one hole to the next, and finally found a place it liked :) I have a feeling this will be a wonderful addition.

Speaking of the light... my cat knocked off the hood and broke the 50/50 10W I had. So I have to switch back to the first light I had temporarily... doesn't look nearly as nice D:

Nice! I've always liked firefish, never got around to getting one. maybe some day.

You should! I've read everywhere that they're so shy, but this one's not afraid of anything! Loads of personality. It'll be fun to watch.

I suppose that does it for the bioload though... although two of my three sexy shrimp mysteriously disappeared before I changed the rockwork just a tad, and I haven't seen the third one all day... I don't think I'll be getting any more. I don't suppose there's anything else I could add fish-wise? Guess it's just time to focus on more polyps once the ones I have finally attach. I've had one teal mushroom stick. The zoas are being difficult and don't stay where I put them, the other mushroom is attached to a snail shell and won't move to the rock, and the GSP had to be moved on top of the rock and is currently strapped down with a rubber band. Any other recommendations on polyps?

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update with. Fish is still swimming around and happy. One mushroom has attached and has grown bigger than a quarter, while the other was just re-located because it wouldn't move off of the shell it was on. Two sexies were lost to the filter (I'm assuming) so now I'm left with one :( The GSP is refusing to come out so I'm hoping that it's just a phase.

I'm thinking about adding a neon goby or a cleaner shrimp (if it will fit). Anyone have input?

I can't use a 20W bulb. The hood's only for 15W and under.

I think the 15 w rating is for the cheapo incandescent bulbs that

usually come with those set-ups. A 20 watt pc bulb will put out a lot less heat

than 15 w incandescent. I'd seriously consider it ....

DougN

I think the 15 w rating is for the cheapo incandescent bulbs that

usually come with those set-ups. A 20 watt pc bulb will put out a lot less heat

than 15 w incandescent. I'd seriously consider it ....

DougN

I actually got a 20W. It didn't fit in the hood. When I go back to the store I'm going to exchange that one bulb for a HOB blue LED thing for night light. (Yeah, same price.)

Thanks for the info though.

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile, but I don't have much to update with.

If you read anything, please check the bottom where I ask for suggestions.

Updates

Rock

I haven't bought anything new, but I've moved things around. The rocks are more compact but there's a nice cave on the inside that you can't see unless you look in from the back. I like it a lot better.

Green Star Polyp

The green star polyps wouldn't come out for a few weeks, and when they finally started coming back out again, they were brown. I moved it to an area of higher flow so that will hopefully help, but I'm thinking it's a problem with the water, and I'll get that checked soon (since the LFS checks it for free and they do it right in front of you). They also haven't spread at all.

Zoanthids

The zoas didn't spread either, so I decided to frag them and put them in different places. Unfortunately they didn't stay lodged where I had them and they've floated away somewhere, probably in the middle of the rocks.

Mushrooms

The two mushrooms are doing fine, but they, like the other polyps, aren't spreading.

Other inverts

Due to hitchhikers, I have five hermits now. I also have two nerite snails and one nassarius snail (two died). I'll probably be trading in two hermits for two more nassarius, and I'll ask for large ones since it was the small nassarius snails that died.

The sexy shrimp all got sucked up in the filter :/ I didn't think it was going to be a problem, but... oh well, there went $30 and some interesting critters.

Fish

It's still the second firefish. Since she's stuck around for so long, I decided to give her the name "Comette" (after the previous inhabitant, Comet). However, I'm concerned that she doesn't have enough room, and am considering replacing her... it's too bad; she's very beautiful.

tankcloseup.jpg

Suggestions?

Any and all changes will only be made after the water parameters have been tested.

Polyps

I'm hoping the mushrooms will spread on their own... eventually... but I'd like some suggestions on very hardy, low-light polyps (besides more mushrooms). I have a 10W 50/50. Preferably something frilly.

Fish

If I need to replace Comette, I was thinking either a yellowtail damsel (first choice, but only if it has enough room) or one or two greenbanded gobies. Or perhaps an ocellaris clown if I could get it to adopt a polyp so space wouldn't be too big of an issue. Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading. If I get more comments, I'll update more frequently.

I had a yellow clown goby and neon goby in my 5 gallon. They both did great because they stay small and prefer to hang out in the rockwork. Green banded gobies are a good idea too.

Hmmmm, sounds nice, but I think if I were to get a clown goby, it'd be a green clown goby.

I'd be scared the neon goby would get sucked up by the filter since it's pretty skinny :(

EDIT: Actually, I keep reading around that yellow clown gobies are out more and have a better personality than greens... hmm...

Firefish is back at the store, and they will call when the yellow clown goby gets in.

EDIT: I also noticed that my teal mushroom seems to be (finally) splitting... it's like part of it (almost half) is pinched and is a little lower than the other half.

And I found my zoas :)

Tank looks good. I really liked the fire fish too. :( Don't have ant experience with the clown gobies don't like em much. if you leave zoas on rocks they are easier to place and glue down. you really can get any zoas they; all have the same general requirements. mushrooms would be good too. maybe xenia. any softies really.

looking good man!

Archived