ReefCleaners.org

Wiil's 5 gallon hex

Wiilio

So it's just sort of a wait and see kind of thing... meh.

It's much easier to wait when you know when you can stop waiting :(

Next time I go to the LFS I'll pick up some mysis I suppose. I want the yellows to spread, but not too much. I've heard they can overtake everything.

I guess that's about it for now. I'll update with pictures when things change.

Like when the GSP and PSP finally open.

Or if/when the blue cloves finally come back out.

I'll be losing the camera this weekend most likely (since it's my sister's) so it'll go back to extra crappy shots from my phone... but hopefully I'll be getting a high-def camera for Christmas.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update:

Blue cloves are alive! There aren't many, but the few specks of blue that are left have started coming out.

Yellows are still doing very well.

3 of the 4 zoa frags have come out. The only one that hasn't is the one that I got the bryopsis off of. But that one might come out today.

Only thing that concerns me is that the GSP and PSP still haven't come out yet.

And the pink paly is stunning :D I'll have to get that into the tank somehow.

Markushka, you said the other stalk-things were palys too, right? What kind are they?

Moved the pink paly to the main tank after it opened up in the frag tank.

PP.jpg

Broke the PSP/zoa piece in two. Here's the zoa frag with all the others (towards the top in the center)

Zoas.jpg

And here's the PSP frag with the GSP piece moved slightly:

Stars.jpg

A smaller part of the PSP was on a piece that broke off, so that's now in the frag tank:

PSP.jpg

And here is a shot of the rest of the (what I'm assuming are) palys and the slowly recovering blue cloves:

BPandBLUES.jpg

I didn't put all of the pictures on here, so here are all of my albums if anyone's interested.

Markushka, you said the other stalk-things were palys too, right? What kind are they?

No thats pipe organ coral. sorta like gsp & psp but white with pink base. Looks cool imo. has it opened?

A smaller part of the PSP was on a piece that broke off, so that's now in the frag tank:

PSP.jpg

the white stuff in this picture were frags of elkhorn, they look dead now.

Not the pipe organ (Which has started to open; will get pics later). The things that look like palys but are a rust color.

And the elkhorn was always like that; guess it died in shipping :( Is that a hard or soft coral? Seemed pretty hard to me.

Pics:

Leave it to my camera to pick up behind where I want to snap the shot :/ Oh well... I circled the ones that are open:

PipesCircled.jpg

And here's the zoa rock:

ZoasCircled.jpg

The one second from the top actually broke off from the one below it.

Still concerned about the one circled in blue; it hasn't opened yet. However, that was the one with algae on it that I picked off by hand. So I suppose it might take a bit longer.

Didn't take pics of anything else because they haven't changed; yellows are still happy as ever, palys look the same (although slightly more opened), star polyps are still being shy, and blue cloves are still few and far between (although there's a picture of them in the photobucket album; just didn't figure it was worth putting here).

Also, I'm considering adding a kind of macro in the back of the tank. It sort of looks like kelp. The LFS sells it and it looks nice. Ideally, I'd like it to grow from the sand bed to the top of a tank in a sort of macro wall. Not only would it be aesthetically pleasing and reduce nitrates, but it would hide the equipment in the back of the tank without me having to paint (I was considering painting but then read about the potential problems with light being reflected back into the tank).

Not the pipe organ (Which has started to open; will get pics later). The things that look like palys but are a rust color.

And the elkhorn was always like that; guess it died in shipping :( Is that a hard or soft coral? Seemed pretty hard to me.

Pics:

Leave it to my camera to pick up behind where I want to snap the shot :/ Oh well... I circled the ones that are open:

PipesCircled.jpg

And here's the zoa rock:

ZoasCircled.jpg

The one second from the top actually broke off from the one below it.

Still concerned about the one circled in blue; it hasn't opened yet. However, that was the one with algae on it that I picked off by hand. So I suppose it might take a bit longer.

Didn't take pics of anything else because they haven't changed; yellows are still happy as ever, palys look the same (although slightly more opened), star polyps are still being shy, and blue cloves are still few and far between (although there's a picture of them in the photobucket album; just didn't figure it was worth putting here).

Also, I'm considering adding a kind of macro in the back of the tank. It sort of looks like kelp. The LFS sells it and it looks nice. Ideally, I'd like it to grow from the sand bed to the top of a tank in a sort of macro wall. Not only would it be aesthetically pleasing and reduce nitrates, but it would hide the equipment in the back of the tank without me having to paint (I was considering painting but then read about the potential problems with light being reflected back into the tank).

the macro would be more of a curtain, it won't grow up the glass usually, but that sounds like a good idea. I had that once, cept I had it hanging down. It was in my hex. is the macro you speak of tall green strands, sorta wavy? that would be caulerpa prolifera. it grows fast so you'd have to prune it lots.

the macro would be more of a curtain, it won't grow up the glass usually, but that sounds like a good idea. I had that once, cept I had it hanging down. It was in my hex. is the macro you speak of tall green strands, sorta wavy? that would be caulerpa prolifera. it grows fast so you'd have to prune it lots.

That sounds like the one. And I'm okay with the pruning; at least it'll give me something to do :P

Two more pictures:

Pink paly:

PinkPaly.jpg

And my only remaining hermit crab, which I have named "Yin Yang" (gotta name something, right?):

Hermit.jpg

Ahhh... that would explain the greenish tint they have now. I guess my lighting isn't strong enough for them where they are now... maybe I should move the yellows down to the bottom, and move the pink paly and a smaller frag of this other paly where the yellow is now. Then I can have some sort of yellow polyp forest going on :P

Pink star polyps are starting to come out :) Will get a picture later.

Also, I've been getting something wrong; the paly I have is an AoG paly, not a pink paly.

I sure hope they do! :P I'm ready for something to start spreading.

Pics:

Three of these guys are out:

PSP.jpg

Pipes are all out now:

Pipes.jpg

Mystery zoa frag has started to open:

Zoasandyellows.jpg

Also, Markushka (or anyone else), what's this round polyp that's above the PSP here? I can't get a good picture of it, but it's yellowish and has these sort of "tentacles":

MP.jpg

Also, there's a feather duster on the same rock as this polyp thing.

Finally, FTS:

FTS.jpg

Anyone else use RGA in their display rather than in their sump?

Bahhhhh. Ideas, you curse me sometimes.

Definitely getting a blue porcelain crab next month.

Now the fish is between a Talbot's damsel and a yellow clown goby. I hardly ever see anyone owning a Talbot's damsel and there's a pet store 30 minutes away that carries them. I figured it'd be a nice change from the norm...

What to do :(

Also, Markushka (or anyone else), what's this round polyp that's above the PSP here? I can't get a good picture of it, but it's yellowish and has these sort of "tentacles":

MP.jpg

Also, there's a feather duster on the same rock as this polyp thing.

Oh ####. woops. that brown thing is a sun coral. non phyto :scarry: sorry, you said no non-photos. that was an accident.

Finally, FTS:

FTS.jpg

Anyone else use RGA in their display rather than in their sump?

I kept lots of macros in my display. plenty of people do. They look cool and are easy to keep. plus they grow fast!

...that's a sun coral? Looks sorta... dead. It's like, yellow on the top and the rest of it's sorta... black.

the little black thing. its a black sun coral that I thought I had lost a few months back. I'm actually surprised its still alive. It was in the sump and thats how it got into your box. Idk guess i didn't look to closely while packing. Have you seen any more of that hh mysis too?

No, but I haven't been looking for it too closely either.

Wouldn't suppose there would be something else I could feed it until I can get mysis? Like I do have freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp; maybe if I soaked them and put them within reach of the coral, it would eat that?

Do you still have your firefish? Mine has survived ich, living in a 2.5 gallon uncycled quarantine tank, and a neglected fluval edge.

Mines a fighter to the death! I saw that you named your firefish for the very same reason I named mine. At first I bought it with no intentions of naming it. After all we've been through "she" finally has her own 34 gallon all to herself (for now). I decided to name her Julia after my girlfriend. I have no clue of its gender I'm just calling it a girl LOL.

No, I don't :( I took her back. It's a shame; I had the idea of taking my scorpion back to the same place I"ll be getting the Talbot's damsel and using the 10 gal he's in as a fish tank (since I don't think roommates will be very happy about having a scorpion in the room)... If only I had thought of that sooner.

This is not anything official at all, but I might know how to tell the difference between male and female on them. I've looked at pictures and had two different firefish of my own. In the pictures, the ones that were indicated males had their dorsal fin ray extend all the way to the tip, while the females had a little extra fin so the tip sort of "flopped." The first firefish I kept had the ray extend to the end of the fin, while the second had a floppy fin.

Like I said, it's nothing official. But until someone comes up with a definite way to tell outside of breeding them, I'm going to stick with this:p

No, but I haven't been looking for it too closely either.

Wouldn't suppose there would be something else I could feed it until I can get mysis? Like I do have freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp; maybe if I soaked them and put them within reach of the coral, it would eat that?

guess you could try that. I dunno. I had disappeared and I just wrote it off as dead. Its funny to see that you got it.

Well I'll give it a shot eventually; right now the two of them are closed up.

That's right, there's another one XD

A few changes, but none worthy of pictures.

The mystery zoa frag is almost open. It looks like a U right now, and I can almost tell what it looks like. I can see that it has an orange center.

Something knocked the PSP frag off onto the rock below (where it was still open) so I had to take it out and put some epoxy on it so it would stay in place (upon which it closed up; hopefully it'll be back out tomorrow).

There is a lone GSP polyp that's out right now. It's VERY small and it looks like it's on the newer part of the mat, but it's there :P

Like I said earlier, there's two black suns. And I actually caught them both in the picture. The other is above the main one, slightly to the left. If I can manage to take care of these and make them spread some, I know exactly where I want them to go.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

I think I've decided on the Talbot's damsel. From what I've read they stay the smallest of the damsels (2") and you don't see them nearly as much, plus they're very hardy.

Oh I will. There's a pet store in Greenville that had at least 10 of them the last time I went.

Also, I think that whatever fish I get will be named "Hamlet." We're reading it in English, and I just like the name, especially for a Talbot's.

Clauvius85, does the yellowtail you have seem to have enough room?

UPDATE: I think... feeding the freeze-dried bloodworms to the black suns... worked :o

Either they just closed up when I put the worms in and the worm got stuck (doubt it since the tentacles are so short)... or they're actually eating them!

EDIT: Definitely eating them; the mouth is stretched out onto the worm.

Archived