Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wiil's 5 gallon hex

Wiilio

I dunno how they do it with corals, but they really don't give a rip about hermits or snails. I got a frag from there once and they were like "Well congratulations there are two hermit crabs in there that we won't charge you for" and I'm just like "...yay?"

Also, the exchange happened again today. And this time...

Dad: "The tank needs a fish, Will."

Me: *Holds out hand*

Dad: *Laughs*

Me: "If you want to give me the money to pay for it, I'll get it."

Dad: "Well I might contribute."

Me: "The fish is only like $5-$7"

Dad: "Oh pssh I'll give you that much."

:happydance:

So I'm going to go to the LFS on Tuesday (probably) to get the c. prolifera, and then sometime next week I'll hopefully be getting the fish that my dad has said he will pay for :)

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno how they do it with corals, but they really don't give a rip about hermits or snails. I got a frag from there once and they were like "Well congratulations there are two hermit crabs in there that we won't charge you for" and I'm just like "...yay?"

Also, the exchange happened again today. And this time...

Dad: "The tank needs a fish, Will."

Me: *Holds out hand*

Dad: *Laughs*

Me: "If you want to give me the money to pay for it, I'll get it."

Dad: "Well I might contribute."

Me: "The fish is only like $5-$7"

Dad: "Oh pssh I'll give you that much."

:happydance:

So I'm going to go to the LFS on Tuesday (probably) to get the c. prolifera, and then sometime next week I'll hopefully be getting the fish that my dad has said he will pay for :)

rofl.

Lol, lucky bastard.

I mentioned the idea of a viv to my mum. nothing said bout any frogs tho :ninja:

Haha they'll be flying in under the radar eh? :P She'll see a frog and you can be all:

"OH MY GOSH HOW DID THAT GET THERE? Ah well might as well keep it ^_^"

$7 isn't much, but it's $7 I don't have to spend. I'm down with that.

Now that I'm seeing that everyone and their brother is having success with damsels, I'm glad I'm trying one.

Haha they'll be flying in under the radar eh? :P She'll see a frog and you can be all:

"OH MY GOSH HOW DID THAT GET THERE? Ah well might as well keep it ^_^"

$7 isn't much, but it's $7 I don't have to spend. I'm down with that.

Now that I'm seeing that everyone and their brother is having success with damsels, I'm glad I'm trying one.

lol nah I'll just blame the frogs on mah buddy. :D Say he gave em to me or something. Plus it seems if you do it right, they breed like guppies so I could get my initial start up costs back. helps when the frogs go for 60$ a piece. :bling:

...and how many are you getting? $60 a frog seems like a fortune just to get one...

Also I wonder where Newman has vanished to. Maybe he was mad at me for probably getting a fish very soon :'(

Sir Newman, I am deeply sorry :flower:

...and how many are you getting? $60 a frog seems like a fortune just to get one...

Also I wonder where Newman has vanished to. Maybe he was mad at me for probably getting a fish very soon :'(

Sir Newman, I am deeply sorry :flower:

2-4. (I'll probably get just 2) well I have, or should have some money now seeing as i'm selling lots of reef stuff. Tho, it looks like i'll be setting up a reef tank for the parents now... should be interesting.

Your parents want a fish tank? O_O

...what is this madness?

My mom and sister more than my dad (he's against the idea). They just want want to keep the clowns. They wanted to put the lion fish in there too :slap: I'll need to rig up some sort of beeper to remind them to refill the ato tho. I'm worried about that most.

But yes it is madness, and I probably shouldn't go along with it.... but my name is Mark and I'm a Reefaholic. -_-

And now it's a family thing :P

I'm sure you can do something. If you can rig it to turn on an ATO, you can rig it to beep.

Or you can rig up an ATO if the tank isn't huge. How big will it be?

well, if I go and pick it up tomorrow fingerscrossed, it'll be a 46 bow display and a 20g fuge, or 10g depending on what will fit, plus an ATO. It'd be more stable SG wise with an ATO. Knowing the rate of evaporation on my current system (~60g) is about a gallon or so every 2 days, This tank will need that ATO.

Its still up in the air tho. even if I do pick up the tank tomorrow, I may not necessarily set it up. But I told em that it would not be my tank. That way I won't have the urge to buy corals for it. (in theory) :D

lol I cant relate to anything said so far thats why I am not commenting yet lol.

though Mark if you bought 2 frogs how can you guarantee a breeding pair rather than a literal pair?

lol I cant relate to anything said so far thats why I am not commenting yet lol.

though Mark if you bought 2 frogs how can you guarantee a breeding pair rather than a literal pair?

Well they'd have to be sexed by the seller I'd have to rely on him to do that. Thats why I had wanted to get 4 initially. I may still and then just sell the extra frogs once I have a pair.

if you find a seller than does that you have found a superior source for frogs then :D

Dea with actual people. They're easier to work with. Tho when I bought from reefs2go they did give me a m/f pair of mandarins as I'd asked.

Are you going to have it half water half dry? I've seen some really cool things done with filters like these:

21OhRstYPVL.jpg

In frog tanks. Like, you put it in water and stack rocks around it to cover it up, but leave the very top where the water comes out exposed (or even cover it with a leaf or another rock or something). That way you cover up the filter but you'd have a sort of waterfall effect. I've also seen where someone just had the tank full of gravel with a pit dug out for water. The filter was buried up to the top and it just trickled out onto the gravel. It didn't look nearly as cool as the stacked rock waterfall, but it's the same concept.

It sorta looks like this, but this is a special filter so the rocks aren't real and the water would be more shallow so you could have a cooler waterfall:

10327398_84718_raw.jpg

ANYWAY...

What's a good specimen coral? Like, something that can just stand alone on the sandbed and look absolutely amazing? I was thinking an acan.

The reason I ask is because when I covered up the rock that's holding my formation in place, it made a sort of "hill." It looks kind of awkward, like there should be something on top. So... I want to put something on top :P

And fro this I'd love a LOT of opinions and options, so FIND YOUR FRIENDS :F

And what color is the PSP supposed to be? Neon green center for sure, but the tentacle thingies are like a flesh brownish color. Like this:

a20791912951461c7dc824_s.JPG

The back half of the PSP polyps are out. Just waiting on the front. And the GSP still only has that one polyp out :(

And I cannot for the life of me figure out what this zoa frag is. Green ring outside, orange-ish center, and a dark (blue, purple, something like that) ring in the midde. No idea what it is.

I personally like fungia, they do well on the sand. I'd put acans on a rock as it helps them spread faster.

As for the zoa, well I didn't have any eye of rah when I shipped to you I had had some before in my first tank. I'm not much for naming zoas, but you could check out zoaid.com for a good reference.

What's your favorite color fungia? :3

Also did you see my thing about the filter making a waterfall in a frog tank?

oh yeah, nah I'm doing a mostly plant filled tank. hopefully something like this:

john-albums-10-gallon-us-vertical-terrariums-picture3687-all-three-terrariums-have-breeding-pair-imitating-dart-frogs-ranitomeya-imitator-formerly-known-dendrobates-imitator-left-terrarium-houses-newly-matured-pair-standard-intermedius-race-center-terrarium-houses-very-prolific-breeding-pair-tarapoto-race-right-terrarium-houses-breeding-pair-varadero-race-aka-jeberos.jpg

I like all fungia really. I'm sorta tired of green in my tank tho, but I like the purple ones and two coloured ones.

Oh I got the 46 today btw :D.

I'm also thinking of doing two elevated pools in my frog tank, connected to each other by a waterfall. I like the water too much ;)

Well you can feed the fungia occasionally, but they are photosynthetic and rather easy to keep imo.

Niiiiiice. When does the transfer start?

That setup sounds really awesome. Definitely post a picture when you get that done. I'd love to see.

Just read that fungia are moderate/high light. I'd say my light is moderate at best. Might need something with lower light requirements.

The sun coral will go under the rock in the front once it spreads... which, seeing the rate of growth for everything else in this tank minus the red grape algae, will take something like six months :/

Niiiiiice. When does the transfer start?

That setup sounds really awesome. Definitely post a picture when you get that done. I'd love to see.

Just read that fungia are moderate/high light. I'd say my light is moderate at best. Might need something with lower light requirements.

The sun coral will go under the rock in the front once it spreads... which, seeing the rate of growth for everything else in this tank minus the red grape algae, will take something like six months :/

well I'm looking to drill it next weekend, then I have to empty the FW because it'll be the sump. so like 3 weeks maybe before Its all set up.

I think you could pull off the fungia, maybe feed a it a bit. I was gonna do a fungia in my lower light tank a while back. You could also look into getting a dendro...

patience! nothing good happens fast in reefing.

Awww... that is far too long. I vote you don't sleep until it's done :P

I'll check out what the LFS has. I think I'm going to stay away from any more NPS :P The 2.5 gallon might become a tank just for the suns since it's so easy to feed them this way. If they start doing well, I'll get some regular suns to go with it.

I keep thinking about how freaking awesome this tank will be once it has the prolifera in it. Not as much for the aesthetics (although it should look pretty dang cool) as much for the nitrate reduction. The red grape algae has already shown signs of growth (tips have grown with lots o' bubbles and some of the bubbles that were lower on the stalk have slowly started coming back) and while it isn't necessarily wonderful to look at, I take comfort in the fact that it's growing and that it's taking nitrates out of the water.

I hope I don't give in to the urge to get a fish when I go this week (probably Tuesday). I really want that Talbot's damsel, but I'm afraid once I see a yellowtail I'll pounce on it XD

Archived