Cultivated Reef

Wiil's 5 gallon hex

Wiilio

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of the first picos I saw online besides El fab's (being the first one I looked at) was one in a youtube vid with a talbot damsel. it didnt look as impressive as El fab's damsel so i just dismissed it lol. the fish was in a 3 gal tank. that tank vid also gave me the idea for my ATO setup, but I'm diverging here. The talbot is not that bad a fish, the purple is nice :)

Diverge all you like. This thread needs interesting tales until I get something else in here besides pictures of an immature tank :P

I like the Talbot's for something different, and since they're usually the smallest. But who knows; I might change my mind (again) when it comes time to finally buy the fish. I do like the blue.

I'm guessing this clam-thing is a filter feeder. It's stuck to the frag of blue cloves Markushka sent me. I actually took it off of one side and put it on the other, and it had re-attached by the next day. If it's not going to hurt anything, I might put it in the main tank.

any pic of it? I too got a bivalve on one frag i purchased a while ago. mines extremely flat! about the same as a sheet of paper when the valves are closed. its a small one though, nothing colorful xD He is living in my 10 gallon now.

i see looks like a bivalve for sure.

different from mine though. and yes its a filter feeder. I bet it can get food without special feedings so dont worry about it as long as you feed stuff to your tank inhabitants such as the sun coral.

Newman, I'll probably have to keep spot feeding the sun coral like this for a good while, so I might have to do a little extra feeding for the mussel. But it's okay; it's a shallow tank, so it's easy to do that. It's just a matter of what to feed it with.

Well Mark I guess we'll never know EVERYTHING that you sent me :P But I like the surprises!

Newman, I'll probably have to keep spot feeding the sun coral like this for a good while, so I might have to do a little extra feeding for the mussel. But it's okay; it's a shallow tank, so it's easy to do that. It's just a matter of what to feed it with.

Well Mark I guess we'll never know EVERYTHING that you sent me :P But I like the surprises!

The mussel will filter particulates out of the water like clams. It would benefit from that phyto, but it is not necessary.

I'll probably give it a little something once in awhile.

The mystery zoa frag opened all the way today! It was only for a few minutes, but I got to see it. Orange center, green outside. The closest thing I can find to what it looks like is an eagle eye.

Also, no more better-than-absolute-crap pictures. Sister came home and got the camera back :(

EDIT: Will a Talbot's eat these accursed amphipods that have been running rampant because there is NOTHING in the tank to eat them? It's almost like my LR is moving :/

I'll probably give it a little something once in awhile.

The mystery zoa frag opened all the way today! It was only for a few minutes, but I got to see it. Orange center, green outside. The closest thing I can find to what it looks like is an eagle eye.

Also, no more better-than-absolute-crap pictures. Sister came home and got the camera back :(

EDIT: Will a Talbot's eat these accursed amphipods that have been running rampant because there is NOTHING in the tank to eat them? It's almost like my LR is moving :/

most likely. It'll eat the ones that it can find, the others will probably go into hiding.

so after you add the damsel you wont see them as much anymore. I still would agree with Mark and say that the mussel bivalve thing doesnt need spot feeding. diont worry about it youll just unnecessarily feed more. it can sustain itself on w/e is floating around in your water, such as digested particles of w/e you feed your sun coral for example and the damsel's leftovers and waste. Just dont disturb it.

Alright then. I might move it into the main tank soon.

Also, thinking about a re-scape. Basically I'd push the existing rock formation into the back left and have the caulerpa prolifera grow to the right of it. Then I'd have a small pile of rocks either in the middle or towards the front to the right as a bolt hole for the damsel. That way it'd have the entire middle of the tank to swim around in without anything in the way if it wanted to, while still having cover in the large rock structure, c. prolifera, and bolthole. Plus it would look a lot cleaner, and I'd like to see the open space.

I know it would be a pretty newbish thing to do, but would it be okay to go ahead and add the damsel? I don't get to go to Greenville much (gas prices, etc) and I think my mom is planning on going soon. So this might be the only chance I get for a long time to come. If not, I won't bother and will just have to keep waiting :(

Ehhhh. I'll just wait until the next time I go... whenever that is :P

(Things are still p'd from the move)

FTS.jpg

Just moved the rock formation back into the left corner. I have to say, I like the extra space. However, there's a problem that I knew I'd have; the light is only in the front half of the tank, so it's not hitting the very back of the rock. This isn't a huge issue, though; the only thing that's in the dark is the GSP (which still only has that one polyp coming out) and I have one LED bulb over it for some lighting (it was like a light for some small crappy betta cube thing and I've been using it for moonlight). However, Since the rim has a sort of "rack" thing, I'll probably buy a strip of LEDs from Radio Shack that'll fit there. Either that or I'll check out the LFS and see if they have a blue/white mixed strip. Not as much room in the front as I thought there'd be, so instead of putting a small rock formation there I'll probably just leave it and pile some smaller rocks behind the rock formation I have already in order to make the cave.

I'm really liking the open space, and I think the Talbot's (or whatever kind I get) will like it too :)

Cave will be here, in the back:

Cavepart.jpg

Also, black sun coral is doing very well. It has already gotten a lot bigger (although I think that's just because it's full of food). And I can see why Mark likes the pipe organ coral; it's very interesting. Looks almost like a xenia.

And the red grape algae is growing quite well :)

I'd go ahead and get the damsel personally. Corals don't really mess with the nitrogen cycle. Add some more macros to your display and there'll be no worries imo. new scape placement looks nice too, but don't forget you want to b able to get to the glass to clean it so don't put the rocks to close to the glass.

Ahhh who knows. I'd think it's better to wait, but I'll probably end up getting one so my dad will leave me alone about it and so I'll have something to look at :P

Typical exchange:

Dad: "So when are we going to see a fish in here?"

Me: "Well, it would be a lot sooner if you'd offer to pay for it."

Dad: *Walks away*

I guess he doesn't like that idea :(

I'll add the macros soon. I get paid Monday for taking care of my neighbor's animals (which I'm about to do now) so I'll be going to the LFS to pick up a cluster of c. prolifera to put in that corner to the right of the rock.

And actually the intake pipe is keeping me from putting the rock completely against the wall so no worries there.

Ahhh who knows. I'd think it's better to wait, but I'll probably end up getting one so my dad will leave me alone about it and so I'll have something to look at :P

Typical exchange:

Dad: "So when are we going to see a fish in here?"

Me: "Well, it would be a lot sooner if you'd offer to pay for it."

Dad: *Walks away*

I guess he doesn't like that idea :(

I'll add the macros soon. I get paid Monday for taking care of my neighbor's animals (which I'm about to do now) so I'll be going to the LFS to pick up a cluster of c. prolifera to put in that corner to the right of the rock.

And actually the intake pipe is keeping me from putting the rock completely against the wall so no worries there.

lol. least he's encouraging fish. 2-5$ isn't bad at all either.

A typical dialog in my house goes:

mom: where'd you get that new little fish?

me: :huh: which new fish?

mom: the little orange ones.

me: oh the orange ones?

mom: yes, when did you buy them?

me: who ever said I bought them?

and it goes on. ( I actually traded for the clowns :P)

The parents were so happy when I started selling off my corals and breaking down the tank. (haven't told them about the dart frogs I'm going to get :ninja:)

I'll have to check the price they have at the store in Greenville. Their prices usually run a little higher but they take really good care of their fish.

Example: The first firefish I got from the store I typically go to costed me $10 and lasted three days. The second from the Greenville store costed $12 and not only was always out and about and was exploring all the time, but AFAIK is still alive today.

I think the LFS (this one's in Plymouth, and is a fish-only store, so I call it the LFS even though they're practically the same distance from my house) sells yellowtails for $5, and wouldn't be surprised if the Greenville store sold them for the same price. Not sure about the Talbot's though.

Now that I think about it, I believe the Greenville store was selling them as "Assorted Damsels" and not specific kinds.

Haha, if I had ever said "who ever said I bought them?" to my mom, she would freak. Seriously. She was very skeptical about you sending me the stuff you did.

Figured I'd put up the websites for the two stores I've been mentioning:

Fish Fish Fish (Plymouth)

Sweet Pets (Greenville)

I'll have to check the price they have at the store in Greenville. Their prices usually run a little higher but they take really good care of their fish.

Example: The first firefish I got from the store I typically go to costed me $10 and lasted three days. The second from the Greenville store costed $12 and not only was always out and about and was exploring all the time, but AFAIK is still alive today.

I think the LFS (this one's in Plymouth, and is a fish-only store, so I call it the LFS even though they're practically the same distance from my house) sells yellowtails for $5, and wouldn't be surprised if the Greenville store sold them for the same price. Not sure about the Talbot's though.

Now that I think about it, I believe the Greenville store was selling them as "Assorted Damsels" and not specific kinds.

Haha, if I had ever said "who ever said I bought them?" to my mom, she would freak. Seriously. She was very skeptical about you sending me the stuff you did.

Figured I'd put up the websites for the two stores I've been mentioning:

Fish Fish Fish (Plymouth)

Sweet Pets (Greenville)

Haha lol. I always tried to cover up incoming shipments, well ones that I spent a lot of money on.

Id definitely just buy the healthier livestock from the better store. What good is it to save money but lose the livestock?

Yeah, a few extra bucks now would save me having to buy a completely new animal later.

However I'll keep buying LR from the LFS. They're really dumb about getting very obvious hitchhikers out. I saw a bright orange ricordea on one piece but didn't have the money with me to buy the rock :(

And I just put the mussel into the main tank. I like it where it is, but anything slightly touching it would knock it over (aka the nerite snail that is slowly making its way closer to it >:( ). Hopefully it takes hold before that happens.

yes it should. place it ventral side down and its foot will secrete byssal threads for anchorage to rock. obviously place it on rock so that it can touch it.

Yeah, a few extra bucks now would save me having to buy a completely new animal later.

However I'll keep buying LR from the LFS. They're really dumb about getting very obvious hitchhikers out. I saw a bright orange ricordea on one piece but didn't have the money with me to buy the rock :(

And I just put the mussel into the main tank. I like it where it is, but anything slightly touching it would knock it over (aka the nerite snail that is slowly making its way closer to it >:( ). Hopefully it takes hold before that happens.

I had a lfs that would charge you extra if there were mushrooms or other corals and stuff on the rocks. They wanted to charge me extra when wanted a rock with majanos <_<. I looked at the guy and laughed and then walked out. left him there holding the rock. Dumb bastards. I worked there later, but it was under new ownership. It still went out because of the dicks who ran the place before.

Archived