ReefCleaners.org

Wiil's 5 gallon hex

Wiilio

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously that makes it the coolest thing in existence :P

He'll come out when I feed him, but other than that he stays under the top overhang with the star polyps. Maybe he'll start roaming tomorrow.

Does anyone that is reading this message name their fish? All of my girl-friends demanded that it be named when I put pictures on Facebook XD

Obviously that makes it the coolest thing in existence :P

He'll come out when I feed him, but other than that he stays under the top overhang with the star polyps. Maybe he'll start roaming tomorrow.

Does anyone that is reading this message name their fish? All of my girl-friends demanded that it be named when I put pictures on Facebook XD

Nice fish. my first SW fish were a three-stripe and a yellowtail damsel. I do like them but they limit what you can keep. A great beginner fish too. How are all the corals doing? how's the sun coral?

Pink and green star polyps are doing fine. For the most part they're all out. If the PSP starts to spread it'll be spreading onto the main rock :)

Even the smaller pieces of PSP that came off of the piece I'm using in the main tank have polyps coming out now.

Zoas are fine, but not spreading. Then again, they've been knocked out of place multiple times by the hermit which has now been put in the great tank in the sky.

Yellows are fine. I actually took off a few of the polyps that were on the underside and sides of the frag plug and put them in my frag tank. A cluster of three has attached itself to a small piece of rock.

AoG paly is fine, but no signs of a new polyp coming up.

Blue cloves are okay. It's either the lighting making it so I can't see as many (since the rock they're on is vertical now) or not as many polyps are coming out. I might tilt it back over to lay horizontally today to see if that will help.

All of the frags of pipe organ are just fine. I just wish I had a way to incorporate them into my main tank :/

The other palys are fine. Brown as always, with that tinge of green in the center. There is one on a shell that seems to be more of a pinkish color.

As for the sun coral, it's not dead... but I'm afraid it's on its way. It doesn't take the worms anymore. The only other thing I have available to me right now is flakes. I guess I could try to let some drift in the next time it opens.

The fish has finally started to come out much more. He'll swim around in the water column and really is a wonderful splash of color :)

And I would think in a 5 gallon hex I couldn't keep anything else anyway, unless it was super small, like a neon goby or something.

EDIT: Brittle star showed its six-armed self in the chaeto in the frag tank (which has grown a fair amount) and was promptly moved to the main tank.

I'd just keep the damsel in this tank and not get a neon goby. in my eyes they have similar bioload when theyre young, but the damsel eventually outpaces the goby in that respect. 1 fish in a 5 gal is a nice way to think about it. the damsel might even bully gobies into hiding.

what do you mean the hermit is gone? you didnt....kill him on purpose did you?

I didn't think it could hold another fish. And now I know! Haha.

And no, after he repeatedly kept knocking over the zoa frags (they were even lodged into crevices in the rock and I guess he pulled them out) I permanently banished him to the frag tank. Whenever I did that before I would always put him on top of the chaeto and he'd crawl back into the tank. This time, he crawled out of the tank :/ I was gone when he did that and... yeah.

Also, Mark sent some (I think) dragon's breath macro along with the chaeto and RGA. Can you see any place in the tank that some of that might look nice?

EDIT: I guess I did kind of word that bit about the hermit weird didn't I? D:

i see so it wasnt on purpose. RIP hermit. yes your wording was implying that you murdered it :lol:

whats RGA again? the red dragon breath thing might look cool if its under the top overhang. if it grows tall it'll grow to the top of the overhang, curve around it and kinda cup the GSP on top. if that GSP takes over the top I'm imagining it would look interesting to have red algae growing around neon green GSP.

Red grape algae. You can't really see it in my most recent FTS but it's on the left above the blue clove frag. Out of everything in the tank, that has grown the most, and is still growing. Still waiting on the halimeda to take hold and spring up.

I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by having the dragon breath under the top overhang. You mean attach it to the rock under the overhang or to the bottom of the tank?

Just a quick question

I know palys bud (some of the brown ones have), but do they split too? If so, there's a possibility that the AoG paly is about to. It's pinching on two parts that are right across from each other. I can't tell if there are two mouths or not.

its rare if they split like that o_o

I've seen this too it may be coincidence that its retracting its tentacles in those two spots at the same time. zoa/paly do that.

but hey if its splitting thats cool too :)

We're having an unusually cold beginning of December (staying below freezing for most of a 24 hour period, and only reaching about 40 mid-afternoon) and it's making it very hard to maintain the heat in my tank. Checked the thermometer when I came back in and it was like 74. The damsel has gotten very pale, and I'm assuming it's because of the heat. Fortunately, he was still very alert and wasn't moving in any strange ways, so I highly doubt he's sick. I turned up the heater and will be watching closely for the next hour or so.

Temp's back at about 78 with the heater turned all the way up.

I'll definitely have to remember to turn it back down when it starts getting warm again.

Sorry I don't have more to update with. Only big thing that's been on my mind is doing something with my 2.5 gal. If it's gonna have all this stuff in it, it might as well look good right? :P Any recommendations?

(I'm secretly awaiting Newman's "put a maxi mini in there with three sexy shrimp")

How hard are maxi minis to maintain anyway? For the most part I've heard that they're easy, but I'd like to hear other opinions. I'd like to add one to the main tank but I figure it would need more light than what I have (which I will hopefully fix after Christmas) and it would hurt the damsel if it got too close.

I've decided that after Christmas, since my scorpion has to go back to the store anyway (can't take it to college), I'll be moving everything in the 5 gal (including the filter) to the 10 gal. To start off I'll be using two 20W 50/50s for lighting and the stock hood. Right now I'm thinking I'll be putting a clown in there, but I'm not sure. And I might try out an idea I had for an aquascape.Basically I would put rockwork in the corners (short up front, taller in the back) and have something in the middle (a small mound of rocks, a larger coral, not sure). That way it would look more like a bowl instead of a clump of rock in the middle, and it would give the fish more swimming room. Of course that would make more sense for a damsel than for a clown, but it was just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Archived