Cultivated Reef

Bongo Shrimp's 25g Tide Pool

Bongo Shrimp

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bongo Shrimp
Update?

Ok yeah. I have two left as one died yesterday. He wasn't eating and I think had something wrong. The remaining two are very strong and are happily accepting gut loaded baby guppies. I know fw stuff isn't the best for them but I have read around that it is better than brine and way cheaper than mysis. I'm hoping as they grow and eat bigger and bigger guppies I can start feeding from the tweezers. The remaining two are getting bigger and have new characteristics.

When I just got them, if I harassed them with the tweezers they would run away and if I persisted they would ink. Now they are less inclined to ink and when I put the tweezers in their face they flare their tentacles and grab the tweezers to try to scare this weird chrome being. It's neat to see this kind of "intellectual" growth.

Plus as I said they are getting stronger as baby guppies put up a huge fight compared to little shrimp.

Bongo Shrimp
what happened to your angler?

I think it was old age. Water was fine. He was eating well (as I have video evidence of). Remember he was already big when I got him.

aww. how long do they live? and do you think all anglers need live fish sometimes, or can they live off feeder shrimp as their only source of live food, plus whatever frozen food they eat?

sorry for bringing up old news, but im just curious. from anglerfish to cuttlefish, you certainly don't dissapoint :D

I just told Zeph you have cuttle fish, remember the info I was asking a while back, it was for him.

I have read that ALL cuttlefish only live for about a year. THis has dissuaded me from venturing into them.

Bongo Shrimp
aww. how long do they live? and do you think all anglers need live fish sometimes, or can they live off feeder shrimp as their only source of live food, plus whatever frozen food they eat?

sorry for bringing up old news, but im just curious. from anglerfish to cuttlefish, you certainly don't dissapoint :D

I think anglers can live for sure for a few years but maybe more. Once I trained mine onto non live foods I never went back. It's much easier to control their nutrient intake when you know the exact content of their food. And remember don't feed them feeder shrimp or live fish unless they are saltwater shrimp or fish.

I have read that ALL cuttlefish only live for about a year. THis has dissuaded me from venturing into them.

This is true however not limited to just cuttlefish. All cephalopods only live for one whole season (~year). It's something you have to come to grips with if you plan to keep a cheph. The end of their lives can be quite... hard to watch and many people euthanize them after a point.

Bongo Shrimp
is it possible to breed and rear feeder shrimp? or do all sw shrimps go through a larval stage?

If it is possible IDK of anyone who does it. I believe pretty much all sw shrimp have a larval stage which is tough to get through in captive rearing.

Bongo Shrimp

Well I lost the last guy today. IDK why cause they were active and eating. Anyways I don't want to risk any more of them nor do I want to pay for mysis every week any more (It's really expensive) and I don't think I have the patience. I have a sick idea for what to do with this tank which is low maintenance and super cool. I think when I get it going I will stop posting in this thread and start a new one.

But in the mean time... I bet you'll never guess the idea.

Bongo Shrimp
Sorry to hear :/

On the other hand, now you have to make me guess :angry:

First Guess: Macro Tank with pipefish

I already have a seahorse tank! Albeit seahorseless.

Think big. It's going to be a biotope with an animal that grows to ~20".

Bongo Shrimp
Lumpfish from Aquatic Engineer?

Ok who likes guessing anyways.

I'm going to replicate this scene:

Stichodactyla-haddoni-orange-dv1.jpg

Incubus_doubled
Ok who likes guessing anyways.

I'm going to replicate this scene:

Stichodactyla-haddoni-orange-dv1.jpg

Me like idea...where you getting such a huge anemone from?

Bongo Shrimp
Me like idea...where you getting such a huge anemone from?

Actually they are easier to find huge and sometimes cost more when they are smaller. I hope to start smaller as in around 6-8".

Bongo Shrimp
what color haddoni? red? purple? green?

Who am I kidding I don't want to stop this thread. It's just how it goes. Change.

Anyways I ultimately plan to do a red one but until I find one that is small to start with, I have this which I found at the LFS over the weekend.

964e2d6f.jpg

096ed00e.jpg

Archived