Top Shelf Aquatics

Bongo Shrimp's 25g Tide Pool

Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp
I haven't seen you mention amphipods yet. The small ones seem to be a popular first food. And you've probably got a supply on hand already...

I have them living in all my tanks so I can harvest them. The cuttles are still not interested. The mysis are on the way! (I would have gotten them earlier but I found the cuttles unexpectedly already hatched this weekend. They were supposed to be in their eggs still! Little buggers!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bongo Shrimp
maybe you can set up a web cam on the net and we we can all watch or somethin'...

I have one but it isn't and can't be public (cause the software doesn't allow multiple users). Sorry! It's really a security system.

Maybe I have another type laying around...

Bongo Shrimp

They're eating!!!! At least two have been striking at the smaller adult brine I have been putting in there. I think the brine are a bit strong for them so they seem to get away sometimes. I am sure they are getting some of them though. Normally I wouldn't feed brine cause its so unhealthy but until the mysis get here (Wednesday) I think this is just fine. Better brine than nothing.

They hunt at night and I use a red flashlight to see them so videos are tough. I'm trying though!

Bongo Shrimp

New video! This one is of my chameleon ninja alien sea monster!

Sorry again for the quality. Zoomed in iPhone videos are not very sharp.

I'm wondering if what happens in this video is an emotional response, fight or flight, or IDK but there is something going on in that little head.

Mysis arrive tomorrow!

Bongo Shrimp
Wow it changes color so quickly! Very cool! B)

It's cooler when I walk in the room and go over to the breeder net to look for them and I can't see any of them and then all of a sudden BAM color change and he was right in front of me. I even see them do it in the macro when they are hiding but see me come over. Isn't mother nature amazing?

altolamprologus
HD Feeding Video!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool, Bongo. I'm glad they're eating. And thanks for taking the time to get a vid and share it :)

Bongo Shrimp

Come on guys! Anything for you!

Well not really :).

But thank YOU guys for pushing me to do it. I need to make more videos.

They are doing great. I'm going to power feed them so they grow up fast so I don't need to buy mysis anymore. It sucks. Btw I wish I had gotten a shot of them inking. They get so excited about eating sometimes they just flip out and ink.

So I was inspired to read the article in the Mar/Apr issue of Coral magazine on Dwarf cuttlefish and learnt that artemia is not suitable. You may have mentioned that but I'm just newly informed and feel the need to appear well read here. :rolleyes:

Mysis seems to be be best, separate them in different batches and gut load them with different foods. They will eat amphipods so you could try to get those too. The article authors also tried black molly babies and glass shrimp. Guppies too.

Thought I would share my new found knowledge.

Bongo Shrimp
So I was inspired to read the article in the Mar/Apr issue of Coral magazine on Dwarf cuttlefish and learnt that artemia is not suitable. You may have mentioned that but I'm just newly informed and feel the need to appear well read here. :rolleyes:

Mysis seems to be be best, separate them in different batches and gut load them with different foods. They will eat amphipods so you could try to get those too. The article authors also tried black molly babies and glass shrimp. Guppies too.

Thought I would share my new found knowledge.

Yeah thanks. A the time all I had was artemia so I threw it in there. Now however I have the mysis and have 200 more arriving tomorrow. As soon as they get a little bigger and stronger I will start trying other foods.

altolamprologus
One cuttlefish ate a frozen mysis tonight!

omgomgomg Awesome! Hopefully the others will follow suit soon :)

• 2 weeks later...
Bongo Shrimp

So I lost one baby two weeks ago. IDK why but I think there was something wrong with him from the start. He was just off. (Remember not all make it in nature).

The others are doing great though but are still picky about food. Last night my hermits spawned in the reef tank so I collected the larva and the cuttles had a great feast in their baby net.

Archived