Coral Vue Hydros

Bongo Shrimp's 25g Tide Pool

Bongo Shrimp

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bongo Shrimp
You should be saying that to AM, not me!

Very nice gobies :) Hopefully they're a true pair

AM wasn't mad when heard I got these and like "Where does he get all this stuff?!". :happy:

AM wasn't mad when heard I got these and like "Where does he get all this stuff?!". :happy:

Lol I wasn't mad :P

But this proves my point that Alto does tell you everything!

Bongo Shrimp
Lol I wasn't mad :P

But this proves my point that Alto does tell you everything!

You'll have to take that up with her. I got a reenactment ;).

• 3 weeks later...
squirrelieygrrrl

Sweet butterfly! Even sweeter tank!

I have toyed with the idea of doing a butterfly for years. I've almost seriously considered a pyramid based on some info I found that they were safer, albeit not the prettiest in their family. I had never found a species I was willing to get and take a chance with my corals. I will be super interested in how it works out in your tank.

This is not a species I ever researched though, I will have to do some reading on it.

Thanks for reigniting my interest in them, I have totally been wanting a more "open" water fish.

Sweet butterfly! Even sweeter tank!

I have toyed with the idea of doing a butterfly for years. I've almost seriously considered a pyramid based on some info I found that they were safer, albeit not the prettiest in their family. I had never found a species I was willing to get and take a chance with my corals. I will be super interested in how it works out in your tank.

This is not a species I ever researched though, I will have to do some reading on it.

Thanks for reigniting my interest in them, I have totally been wanting a more "open" water fish.

Hey, just know that I put him in this tank with corals that I don't mind him eating. I would never put him in my SPS reef or in any other tank that had corals that I care about. There are like 75 frags of bird of paradise from me trimming the 12" colony to fit in my reef tank and I had nowhere to put them so I threw them in here. As for feeding, he does actually stop picking at the frags to go after pellets but I think I'll have to grind them up a little since they are a little too big for him. This species is one of the hardest to keep because of the fact that they are strict coralivores and I would not have bought him if I had not seen him eat (yes, at the store he got a few down) the pellets. He is doing well so far but has some ich from the stress I think. He still swims around and eats all day and is not itching so I'm just watching it for now. I think it may be kinda like how tangs get ich when stressed. Hopefully he will get over it being that he is so healthy otherwise. Glad to have ignited your interest! Research research research!

squirrelieygrrrl
Hey, just know that I put him in this tank with corals that I don't mind him eating. I would never put him in my SPS reef or in any other tank that had corals that I care about. There are like 75 frags of bird of paradise from me trimming the 12" colony to fit in my reef tank and I had nowhere to put them so I threw them in here. As for feeding, he does actually stop picking at the frags to go after pellets but I think I'll have to grind them up a little since they are a little too big for him. This species is one of the hardest to keep because of the fact that they are strict coralivores and I would not have bought him if I had not seen him eat (yes, at the store he got a few down) the pellets. He is doing well so far but has some ich from the stress I think. He still swims around and eats all day and is not itching so I'm just watching it for now. I think it may be kinda like how tangs get ich when stressed. Hopefully he will get over it being that he is so healthy otherwise. Glad to have ignited your interest! Research research research!

Thanks for the info bongo,

I hope the ich clears its self up in no time. That must be why I've never read up on that specie, any time I've researched them and I see that it is a obligate corallivore I have dismissed them as not being a possibility. Even the alleged safer species I just haven't been willing to take the risk, I do think they are a very neat family of fish though. I love their movement and behavior. Off to the research mines once more. :happy:

altolamprologus

Once again, you've proven your impeccable taste in fish. If anyone can keep him alive, it's you. That bird of paradise should grow plenty fast to keep him supplied with coral to eat

My Trimma tevegae senses finally started tingling. I demand more pichers!

Be real. All of your goby senses are always tingling or you wouldn't be animalmaster!

I'll get some when I can. They have been hiding in the back a lot lately.

How's that carpet doing? I'm looking into getting one. Do they pretty much act like mini carpets?

Tank(s) is awesome btw.

The carpet is doing ok. He eats and is sticky but he is moving around a lot and looks slightly off. I've ben trying to figure out what it is and I think he wants to eat more often. They are NOTHING like mini carpets and I suggest you do some research before deciding to get one. I'm not trying to discourage you because it is very doable, just make sure you know what you should and are ready.

Once again, you've proven your impeccable taste in fish. If anyone can keep him alive, it's you. That bird of paradise should grow plenty fast to keep him supplied with coral to eat

Thanks baby.

FTS?

What livestock do you have in this tank now besides the pair of gobies?

I'll try for one but it may look funny from the spotlight effect of the LEDs I have over it.

Livestock:

x2 Clarki Clowns

x1 Green Haddoni Carpet Anemone

x2 Trimma tevegae

x2 Blue Coral Banded Shrimp

x1 Chaetodon larvatus

x1 Red Mini Carpet from alto

in a 25G? :o

You bet. He is ~2.5" and I read up on their range before getting him just to be sure and they do not have nearly as big of a range as most other butterflies. Just to confirm that he isnt having any small tank issues he does not pace or freak out or anything. He goes in and out of the rockwork all day in between picking at the bird of paradise frags.

altolamprologus
in a 25G? :o

It's ok Kat. These butterflies need relatively little swimming room. I approved of this fish before he bought it. And judging from videos I've seen of him, he doesn't even notice there's glass walls.

It's ok Kat. These butterflies need relatively little swimming room. I approved of this fish before he bought it. And judging from videos I've seen of him, he doesn't even notice there's glass walls.

This^ and above all, if I didn't SEE HIME EAT PELLETS IN PERSON, I wouldnt have even thought about getting him.

Archived