Top Shelf Aquatics

Bongo Shrimp's 25g Tide Pool

Bongo Shrimp

I think that's a really ####ty way to approach the hobby. Let's keep all the info to ourselves, right?!

Enjoy your cuttlefish.

Why not just call around to the LFS and ask? If anything, you can blame the guy who swooped on Bongo's "prize" the first time.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bongo Shrimp
Why not just call around to the LFS and ask? If anything, you can blame the guy who swooped on Bongo's "prize" the first time.

This.

I don't care what people think about it. Understand it or choose not too. I'm protecting myself and it works.

Truthfully I don't care if you find out you just won't here it from me. And FWIW it was a special order of sorts.

Personally I'm not looking for cuttlefish I'm just curious which store around here stocks cool critters like that. And instead of blaming the dude who scooped your cuttlefish why don't you blame your LFS for not holding them for you?

I'm a big proponent of the open sharing of information--especially in a hobby such as this. I honestly don't understand why wouldnt want to tell people about this store not only so the hobby can grow but so you can help this local store out with some more business

More power to you I guess for being selfish.

Bongo Shrimp
Personally I'm not looking for cuttlefish I'm just curious which store around here stocks cool critters like that. And instead of blaming the dude who scooped your cuttlefish why don't you blame your LFS for not holding them for you?

I'm a big proponent of the open sharing of information--especially in a hobby such as this. I honestly don't understand why wouldnt want to tell people about this store not only so the hobby can grow but so you can help this local store out with some more business

Again I don't care if you don't like it. I am all about the sharing of information in the hobby. Where I get stuff isn't going to advance the hobby. It's not personal. Get over it.

This morning I decided to round up the babies and put them back in a breeder net. I have read that it is much easier to keep track of them and watch them feed. At this stage, being so small, they are quite boring and just sit in the macro algae all day.

Why blame the store? Go to the source of the problem, the information leak. Withholding the information solves that problem. Plus it's not like you couldn't find the same information by just calling around to your LFS. Most people don't want to put forth the effort when it can be done by someone else; laziness. /threadjack

can haz vidz?

altolamprologus
I will try to take a vid but coupled with being tiny, they just sit there in the macro.

We don't care if they just sit there, we want vids now! Lol j/k. Those guys are so cute. Are you going to try to breed them when it comes to that time?

Bongo Shrimp
We don't care if they just sit there, we want vids now! Lol j/k. Those guys are so cute. Are you going to try to breed them when it comes to that time?

Well sure! That would be sweet if I could breed them! I can barely find them IN THE BREEDER NET! I mean they hide very well in the macro algae. It's all I can do not to go digging around for them just so I can look at them! I'm not going to lie I have been poking around in there a little :D. Maybe next time I go hunting I'll try to catch a vid on my iPhone.

altolamprologus
Well sure! That would be sweet if I could breed them! I can barely find them IN THE BREEDER NET! I mean they hide very well in the macro algae. It's all I can do not to go digging around for them just so I can look at them! I'm not going to lie I have been poking around in there a little :D. Maybe next time I go hunting I'll try to catch a vid on my iPhone.

Get a vid of them eating please :) I know this will sound weird, but I like watching cephs eat. I got to watch baby cuttles eat ghost shrimp at the aquarium last year and it was so awesome. They inked a few times in the process :wub:

What are you feeding them? Baby brine?

Bongo Shrimp
Get a vid of them eating please :) I know this will sound weird, but I like watching cephs eat. I got to watch baby cuttles eat ghost shrimp at the aquarium last year and it was so awesome. They inked a few times in the process :wub:

What are you feeding them? Baby brine?

Ok so heres the deal- they are not eating yet. HOWEVER, I have read that new hatchlings can take 2-3 days or I read one guys post on a ceph forum that said his seemed to take a week to eat. Anyhow I now have- live brine (adult but with some smaller ones I pick out for the babies), frozen mysis, frozen cyclops, frozen "arctipods" not frozen (bottled arctipods) and today I went and bought LIVE tigger pods. I put some tigger pods in there for now along with a few smaller brine shrimp. Brine are not the best food at all but if they will take them right now I'd be happy. Tomorrow I'm going to order probably 500 live mysis. I have not seen any hunting behavior yet but they are not moving around much at all as I mentioned.

I think they are adjusting to being alive. Theres a lot to take in out side of the egg!

Bongo Shrimp

Fine. You want a video? Here's a video! BTW the amount of movement you see in the vid is the most excitement I've seen all day with these guys. Plus watch close cause he does some sick color shifts. I didn't notice them till I zoomed in on the vid and watched it a second time.

It's blurry cause I zoomed in and jerky cause the water was rippling.

Ugh so jealous it makes me sick. My master plan has always been to have an absurdly large tank for a bunch of those guys once I get my own house. The way things are going that's probably 15 years away...

Thanks for the videos and pics. Good luck with them! I'll be among those following their progress.

Bongo Shrimp

They literally just sit there in the codium all ####### day! I do try to sit there and watch them do nothing but I can only last 20 mins max before I leave or pick up the macro to look at them closer to the surface! I know its bad but I can't help it!

BTW live mysis on the way.

+1 That was one of the cutest things ever!

Fine. You want a video? Here's a video! BTW the amount of movement you see in the vid is the most excitement I've seen all day with these guys. Plus watch close cause he does some sick color shifts. I didn't notice them till I zoomed in on the vid and watched it a second time.

It's blurry cause I zoomed in and jerky cause the water was rippling.

They're not boring, they're cuttlefish! I'd be hovering over the breeder net all day too Kat! :wub:

Bongo Shrimp

OK! I promise as soon as they start eating I will have a video of it. Anyone know off hand if there are smaller ghost shrimp mixed with the larger ones at petsmart? If there are I'd consider trying to get a few tiny ones.

altolamprologus
OK! I promise as soon as they start eating I will have a video of it. Anyone know off hand if there are smaller ghost shrimp mixed with the larger ones at petsmart? If there are I'd consider trying to get a few tiny ones.

There's usually all different sizes mixed together. I'm not sure there would be any small enough though

Bongo Shrimp
There's usually all different sizes mixed together. I'm not sure there would be any small enough though

Ok thanks. Maybe I'll stop there tomorrow and look.

I haven't seen you mention amphipods yet. The small ones seem to be a popular first food. And you've probably got a supply on hand already...

Archived