Cultivated Reef

Mirage's 40 Gallon breeder (New Pics 3/31/14)

MGDMIRAGE

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah another person in the local reef club has a PH controller she will sell me for $50 it needs a new probe but I'll probably pick up one from bulk reef supply. I won the Reactor itself from Marine Depot btw :) I had to buy the rest of the stuff.

Yeah I couldn't help but buy the rest of the stuff after winning the reactor. I'm still dragging my heels on setting up the 90 gallon, i really like the 40 breeder and may just redo it with a new tank hehe. I like the dimensions and don't look forward to taking care of a larger system.

New Toys!

Cell Pic:

IMG031.jpg

Eheim 1048 pump en route along with media and a person locally has a PH controller I may pick up from them for $50.

Nice deal on the tank toys.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Tank has been on cruise control.

Picked up another 40Br today since Petco was having the $1/gallon sale. Going to redo the tank and do things right this time. External overflow and setting up that calcium reactor.

Really unhappy with my current setup, water changes are too much of a chore and so is top off. I have been topping off manually for 2 years now and I'm very much sick of it.

My Leopard wrasse went MIA yesterday and i tore the tank apart looking for her with no luck, pretty bummed about that but I shall push forward. She was by far my favorite fish :(

Yeah I was having the reef blues :( Losing a fish doesn't help too much either. I'll try and be more active.

Yeah I was having the reef blues :( Losing a fish doesn't help too much either. I'll try and be more active.

Sorry to hear about the loss wrasse. I know how it feels. I had a power outage and loss my flame wrasse pair. I hope everything else with the tank is doing ok. Glad to see your still in the game and sounds like you have some good plans to improve your setup. I know it's been a while but I finally got a nikon and since you were the first to ask I did get a FTS. So it's up as promised just a couple months late.

Anyway hope to see some updates.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Tank has been on cruise control.

Picked up another 40Br today since Petco was having the $1/gallon sale. Going to redo the tank and do things right this time. External overflow and setting up that calcium reactor.

Really unhappy with my current setup, water changes are too much of a chore and so is top off. I have been topping off manually for 2 years now and I'm very much sick of it.

My Leopard wrasse went MIA yesterday and i tore the tank apart looking for her with no luck, pretty bummed about that but I shall push forward. She was by far my favorite fish :(

Really sorry about the loss shawn. I know how you feel... it can sometimes feel like a burden. Im about to sell my jbj ATO because i bought an elos osmocontroller let me know if your interested, it definitely makes maintenance a bit easier.

Sorry about the wrasse :*( I had the same fish and it was one of my favorites as well...I haven't found another...I am always on the look out for one.

Sorry to hear about the loss wrasse. I know how it feels. I had a power outage and loss my flame wrasse pair. I hope everything else with the tank is doing ok. Glad to see your still in the game and sounds like you have some good plans to improve your setup. I know it's been a while but I finally got a nikon and since you were the first to ask I did get a FTS. So it's up as promised just a couple months late.

Anyway hope to see some updates.

I checked it out and to no surprise your tank looks awesome :)

Really sorry to hear :(

Thanks AM, I love my fish and I don't think I will add any more for quite awhile because of the loss. She was fat and happy one day then gone the next, I can't find her anywhere. My only thought is that maybe she is stuck in the overflow pipe somewhere :(

Really sorry about the loss shawn. I know how you feel... it can sometimes feel like a burden. Im about to sell my jbj ATO because i bought an elos osmocontroller let me know if your interested, it definitely makes maintenance a bit easier.

Thanks Eugene! I've had a ATO for awhile but where the tank was located there really wasn't a place for a reservoir. With the new tank and location I should be able to put at least a 10 gallon reservoir in though.

Sorry about the wrasse :*( I had the same fish and it was one of my favorites as well...I haven't found another...I am always on the look out for one.

She was a great fish. Not sure if I will try and replace her or just go minimal fish for awhile. I pretty much destroyed my tank trying to find her. I removed about 50% of the rock and 50% of the sand in the tank :(

Nice new tank and sps pics. The Hectors goby looks like, 'oh no. On no, he saw me. Ur saw me.' lol

Sorry bout the wrasse. I recently lost a Premium Snowflake from ORA. It worked out cause the other two weren't pairs, but the two I have now are and one is still the snowflake so.....

Looking forward to seeing the 90 up and running.

• 6 months later...

My poor 40 Breeder has turned into a messy frag tank :( I re-scaped a bit today and broke part of my purple rim cap and a huge chunk of digitata :(

Water is all dirty from scraping the glass.

IMG_92831280x573_zps6c7e911e.jpg

IMG_92861280x853_zps9b631be6.jpg

Completely overhauling this tank soon as I have two new 40Bs to work with, I've never been happy with this overflow system and my scape has gotten lost along the way.

So I have like only 1 fish left a Hector's goby, what should I get? My clowns are in the sump but they probably always will be.

I love the arch in the middle! Keep up the great work!

This made me think of something though. Can anybody explain to me why the 40 gallon breeder tanks are so popular? It seems like you hear about them over and over again for some reason?

Thanks.

They just have an awesome footprint for a small tank, they almost feel like a larger tank thanks to the 18" front to back.

Archived