SaltCritters.com

Mirage's 40 Gallon breeder (New Pics 3/31/14)

MGDMIRAGE

The stand Im using is Edsal Premier From Lowes. It fits the 40B like a glove. We painted the metal and shelving to make it fit into the home decor better. Holds 1000lbs per shelf.

Awesome tank Mirage! Part of me wishes I had gone the sump route but being in an apt with 2 cats...

Thanks, yeah I'm upstairs in an apartment with 2 cats lol.

Thanks Eliphion. Have you had any issues with rusting? I've seen some stuff about people saying these units rust.

Mine only has a tiny bit of rust and that was were I hit it with a hammer while putting it together, I chipped a little of the protective coating off. Just make sure and put cardboard over the spot you are hitting hehe.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rescaped and cleaned things up a bit, still a ways to go until i'm happy with the scape and coral placement.

Actinic shot, not the best but you get the idea hehe.

036_zpsceba22c8.jpg

Wow, what amazing growth you're getting! LOVE those SPS :)

Thanks Eliphion. Have you had any issues with rusting? I've seen some stuff about people saying these units rust.

I haven't had any issues but it's only been up a little over a month. Besides the coat of spray paint, I went over it with a sealant as well. I shouldn't have any issues with rusting. :)

Wow, what amazing growth you're getting! LOVE those SPS :)

Thanks, stuff has really started growing since I got the calcium reactor going finally.

Eliphion, did you replace that particle board with plywood cut to size of the original particle board so it fits in the shelf or are you using the particle board? Also what size did you get. I got the 36 inch one but depth is only 18 inches. Is that enough?

• 1 month later...

Well I just had to sign another 1 year lease on apartment and this year there is a stipulation that you cannot have over a 10 gallon aquarium without signed consent so I guess I’m going to just redo this tank and try and work out the kinks. It has been up for over 3 years now and if they give me any crap I’m going to give them plenty in return. The second and third floors are concrete slabs so I know there isn’t really an issue there but they recent changed owners and I guess they got way more strict. If the current bill passes on what corrals you can keep goes through I might just switch to fresh water planted as I’m 95% interested in only SPS. I’m pretty sick of the rules and regulations that the higher up jackasses keep coming up with. They act like our hobby is harming the ocean which is BS, big business and oil are harming the ocean and once they finally kill every coral there will be nothing left since they banned it in the hobby level. I wish I had gotten into this 10 years ago or stuck with it back in 95 when I had my first mini-reef.

I'm going to be setting up a new 40B that is connected to this one so watch my 40B Next thread :)

llama roadkill
40 Gallon Breeder Display

40 Gallon Long Sump/Refuge

1 WP-40 Pump (circulation)

Reef Ocotopus 250 Needle Wheel Skimmer

36" Nova Extreme 6 bulb T5HO

Ebo Jager 250w heater

Phosban Reactor running Ecobak by Warner Marine (for over 2 years now)

Korallin C1502 calcium reactor with 10lb co2 tank.

QuietOne 4000 Return Pump

60lbs Sugar sized sand(removing with water changes)

Livestock plans

Coral:

SPS and LPS minimal to no softies

Fish:

2 Black and White Ocellaris in sump1 Golden Dwarf Moray Eel

1 Pygmy Cherub Angelfish

1 Vermiculated Wrasse Female MIA

1 Hector's Goby

1 Yellow Tang

1 (Temporarily) Sailfin Tang juvenile Sold and now lives in a 120 gallon elos system.

1 Target Mandarin (Male)

more to come

FTS 6/14/2013

004-4_zps7500b210.jpg

FTS 3/31/2013

IMG_99841280x488_zps5b71ff00.jpg

FTS 1/20/2013

IMG_92831280x573_zps6c7e911e.jpg

Nt sure if I've said this, but WOW. You are my inspiration for my new 40B, well one of many. I am literally drooling over that Monti Cap!

How well behaved is your eel, by the way? Has he eaten anyone yet? :lol:

I should have revised the first post. I haven't had the eel for about 1.5 years. I wanted him/her to be in a larger home so I sold it to a person with a 150 gallon. The whole time having the eel it never bothered anything and I had shrimp(blood/skunk/peppermint) that would actually try to steal food out of it's mouth. The eel was never in a covered tank and only tried to escape once and ended up in a filter sock/nylon. They are in my book the perfect eel, small and rarely if ever aggressive and bother almost nothing. I did grow tired of constantly spot feeding it though and having to vary the diet as it would get sick of having the same thing more than 2 or 3 times. I would have to switch the food between 3-4 different things: silversides, uncooked shrimp, squid, clam. Out of all those foods it's favorite was squid it triggered the largest feeding response.

llama roadkill
I should have revised the first post. I haven't had the eel for about 1.5 years. I wanted him/her to be in a larger home so I sold it to a person with a 150 gallon. The whole time having the eel it never bothered anything and I had shrimp(blood/skunk/peppermint) that would actually try to steal food out of it's mouth. The eel was never in a covered tank and only tried to escape once and ended up in a filter sock/nylon. They are in my book the perfect eel, small and rarely if ever aggressive and bother almost nothing. I did grow tired of constantly spot feeding it though and having to vary the diet as it would get sick of having the same thing more than 2 or 3 times. I would have to switch the food between 3-4 different things: silversides, uncooked shrimp, squid, clam. Out of all those foods it's favorite was squid it triggered the largest feeding response.

Oh wow. I had read they are the safest eel but I assume you would still have some problems with it eating his tankmates. I would consider possibly getting one if it wasn't $300 and didn't get big. Thanks for telling me.

Just picked up a little Copperband Butterflyfish hopefully my aiptasia goes bye. Him and the yellow tang are kinda fighting it out at the moment but the tang is getting sold soon. It is nice to have some fish in my tank again!

I currently have:

Male Spotted Mandarin

Female Dragonface Pipefish

Yellow Tang

Copperband Butterflyfish

I plan on perhaps adding a flasher wrasse or 3 or more firefish. I would love some mid level plankton feeders that are always visible.

llama roadkill
Just picked up a little Copperband Butterflyfish hopefully my aiptasia goes bye. Him and the yellow tang are kinda fighting it out at the moment but the tang is getting sold soon. It is nice to have some fish in my tank again!

I currently have:

Male Spotted Mandarin

Female Dragonface Pipefish

Yellow Tang

Copperband Butterflyfish

I plan on perhaps adding a flasher wrasse or 3 or more firefish. I would love some mid level plankton feeders that are always visible.

Let me know how it does. I sort of want one, but I don't know if I can keep it permanently.

Also the huge monti cap is soon to go bye bye as it is taking up far too much space which I could use to get the rest of the coral off of the sand bed.

llama roadkill
Also the huge monti cap is soon to go bye bye as it is taking up far too much space which I could use to get the rest of the coral off of the sand bed.

That's my favorite part!

Let me know how it does. I sort of want one, but I don't know if I can keep it permanently.

I'm going to offer this one as much variety as possible and can hopefully get it on several different prepared foods but in the mean time there is plenty of aiptasia for it to work on.

That's my favorite part!

I have a love/hate relationship with the cap. It takes way too much room but is gorgeous in its own right. It would be perfect in a 6ft long tank but right now it is taking over more than 1/3 of my tank.

llama roadkill
I'm going to offer this one as much variety as possible and can hopefully get it on several different prepared foods but in the mean time there is plenty of aiptasia for it to work on.

I have a love/hate relationship with the cap. It takes way too much room but is gorgeous in its own right. It would be perfect in a 6ft long tank but right now it is taking over more than 1/3 of my tank.

Give it to me when I get my tank set up!

• 2 weeks later...

Break most of it off and let it regrow from the encrusted area on the glass. :)

Sorry for the late reply, been losing track of a lot of the threads I follow. Any updates?

• 3 weeks later...

Just read through your entire thread... epic tank! Looking forward to seeing where you go from here!

P.S.-your thread is the first time I ever saw a leopard wrasse, definitely my favorite fish ever, I'm looking into getting a healthy one for my 40 right now

Thanks guys, I'll get a pic up soon although i'm preparing a new 40 Breeder and will transfer everything over. The overflow setup I have has annoyed me since the first week of being setup over 3 years ago. I have a 6ft 100 gallon that I was going to replace this tank with but my apartment won't allow it :(

Sorry you can't have the 100 but looking forward to the new 40b :)

Thanks, the new tank will have a 1.5inch bulkhead drain and 1 or two 3/4" returns. I plan on new lights at tax time, and new return pump.

• 4 months later...

Archived