ReefCleaners.org

Mirage's 40 Gallon breeder (New Pics 3/31/14)

MGDMIRAGE

Its a tough decision to frag something that looks so natural isnt it.. I wonder if you could cut it in half on the front half and let it grow back out.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a tough decision to frag something that looks so natural isnt it.. I wonder if you could cut it in half on the front half and let it grow back out.

Yeah it is, a friend recently wanted a frag from it and I broke a small chunk from the top since I was afraid to fracture the main piece.

Yeah it is, a friend recently wanted a frag from it and I broke a small chunk from the top since I was afraid to fracture the main piece.

All the more reason to make a new tank... Bigger!!! Broader!!! maybe a cube so it can grow through the whole tank!!! :-D

Whoa eating frozen food mysis! Awesome and healthy looking!

Yep got him when he was very small and had him eating Mysis on 2nd or third day using syringe and rigid airline tubing. He'll eat so much mysis that his belly is bulging and then he just sits for awhile. Their only motivation to move is to eat so once they are full they are pretty lazy hehe. I want to get him a girlfriend really bad but haven't seen any stores with targets lately.

• 1 month later...

Nice! No stability issues at all?

Nope each shelf holds something like 800lbs or so and it has been sitting on it for 3 years now. The rack was only $60-80 dollars too and very easy to put together.

llama roadkill
40 Gallon Breeder Display40 Gallon Long Sump/Refuge1 WP-40 Pump (circulation)Reef Ocotopus 250 Needle Wheel Skimmer36" Nova Extreme 6 bulb T5HOEbo Jager 250w heaterPhosban Reactor running Ecobak by Warner Marine (for over 2 years now)Korallin C1502 calcium reactor with 10lb co2 tank.QuietOne 4000 Return Pump60lbs Sugar sized sand(removing with water changes)Livestock plansCoral:SPS and LPS minimal to no softiesFish:2 Black and White Ocellaris in sump1 Golden Dwarf Moray Eel1 Pygmy Cherub Angelfish1 Vermiculated Wrasse Female MIA1 Hector's Goby1 Yellow Tang1 (Temporarily) Sailfin Tang juvenile Sold and now lives in a 120 gallon elos system.1 Target Mandarin (Male)more to comeFTS 6/14/2013 004-4_zps7500b210.jpg FTS 3/31/2013IMG_99841280x488_zps5b71ff00.jpg FTS 1/20/2013IMG_92831280x573_zps6c7e911e.jpg

Wow. Your tank is gorgeous. I am having a hard time deciding between a 40B and a 75. What would you do?

Also, does your tang have enough space?

Wow. Your tank is gorgeous. I am having a hard time deciding between a 40B and a 75. What would you do? Also, does your tang have enough space?

Thanks :) Both are nice tanks bigger is nice if you ever plan on getting a tang. My Tang is still pretty small but I'm currently working on a 6ft 100 gallon that I hope to have running in the next couple of months.

I can't seem to find it. The only one close to it online is like $150. http://t.costco.com/Safco-75%22-Steel-Shelving-36%22-x-18%22-Dark-Gray-SAF-6269.product.11676083.html

They don't have it on their site that is what I hate about Costco half the time the stuff in the store isn't on the site, and every store has different stuff.

llama roadkill

Thanks :) Both are nice tanks bigger is nice if you ever plan on getting a tang. My Tang is still pretty small but I'm currently working on a 6ft 100 gallon that I hope to have running in the next couple of months.

That's my problem. I probably won't get a Tang. I do want a Genicanthus though. If I can't get that I'll just get a 40B with

2 Bangaiis

2 Neon Gobies

1 Dwarf Angel

1 Fairy Wrasse

1 Mandarin

1 Fang Blenny

Maybe a TSB, but I heard they sometimes nip on clam mantles. I don't know if this is overstocked, because most of the fish are pretty small.

That's my problem. I probably won't get a Tang. I do want a Genicanthus though. If I can't get that I'll just get a 40B with

2 Bangaiis

2 Neon Gobies

1 Dwarf Angel

1 Fairy Wrasse

1 Mandarin

1 Fang Blenny

Maybe a TSB, but I heard they sometimes nip on clam mantles. I don't know if this is overstocked, because most of the fish are pretty small.

You could make it work just keep up on water changes and add slowly to let the bacteria in your tank catch up to the bio-load. Dwarf angels are a toss up whether or not they will eat corals and clams and I would add it last since It could be aggressive. Careful with neon gobies they tend to be ich magnets so I'd definitely quarantine those for sure.

llama roadkill
You could make it work just keep up on water changes and add slowly to let the bacteria in your tank catch up to the bio-load. Dwarf angels are a toss up whether or not they will eat corals and clams and I would add it last since It could be aggressive. Careful with neon gobies they tend to be ich magnets so I'd definitely quarantine those for sure.

I probably won't do the angel anyway. I thought Neons clean ich. I didn't know they are magnets.

I probably won't do the angel anyway. I thought Neons clean ich. I didn't know they are magnets.

They are cleaners but I've found them to be very susceptible to ich.

Are the shelves metal as well? Thanks for all the info. I went to 2 petcos, petsmart, aquarium adventure/petland and not one place had a metal stand for a 40 breeder.

The stand Im using is Edsal Premier From Lowes. It fits the 40B like a glove. We painted the metal and shelving to make it fit into the home decor better. Holds 1000lbs per shelf.

Awesome tank Mirage! Part of me wishes I had gone the sump route but being in an apt with 2 cats...

Archived