Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

17g Green Leaf Rimless

divecj5

The only time that I used flash was for the shots with the lights out (picture set before the ones above). I didn't use flash when giving the jpeg ideas a whirl either. Are all of the shots that you posted taken with your macro? Even the FTS?

On another note, I love seeing "natural" behavior/events happen in our tanks. Whenever I feed Rogers frozen, I purposefully leave some bigger chunks in there. I think it's hilarious to see the clowns grab a huge piece, lug it back over to the Hammer (aka their home) and spit it in and out until it's a manageable size. Pretty amazing how they stake out territories, even in smaller tanks, and can find areas that they consider "shelter." At least I find it cool :lol:

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Although I'm fairly positive I'm talking to myself in here ( :lol:), I thought I'd provide an update on the tank as it's been a few weeks. Here's what's been crackin' on the Chucktown Reef:

- Finally moved all but the AOG and Green Zoas up onto the rock. Everything has really settled in and most are starting to mat out and sprout new heads.

- Kyle (MonoChrome) hooked me up with a huge piece of chaeto, a few polyps of Whammin Watermelons and a few polyps of some really nice green zoas

- I think I've finally figured out how the first Orange-lined Cardinal died. I was in the process of doing a water change Saturday morning and saw the remaining Cardinal swimming rather oddly. After a closer look, the poor fella's tail was almost completely shredded/nibbled off so it was hanging upside-down and was getting thrown all over the place with the pumps on. Only thing left to do was scoop it out and put it out of it's misery :tears: . So I guess the female clown considers the ENTIRE tank her domain. I never realized/knew how territorial clownfish could be. I was a nano-second away from scooping the b*tch out and smashing it with a hammer!! I guess I'm stuck with two clowns.

- The Green Slimer and Cali Tort have finally started to base out so I'm hopefully the branching and growing will start shortly.

Overall, I'm really happy with how the tank is progressing. I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger with the arrival of our son less than two months away. I'll attempt to grab some updated shots soon.

Yay an update :happydance:

And a brand new picture from 20 minutes ago :) I think I might be finally getting a grasp on camera settings for the LEDs. Still not quite as crisp of a blue that it is in person but getting there.

Thanks for stopping by AM!!!

p295696048-4.jpg

Monochrome5
I'm fairly positive I'm talking to myself in here

Now that Dhaut and Vic are gone this thread is so quiet...

Glad you liked to zoas :) They grow like mad for me. Hopefully you'll get the same results. And sooner or later I'll make it over to actually see your tank in person :)

Looking good! Is there much new growth?

Since getting the single polyp of AOG from Vic, there are now 5 adult and a few babies sprouting. The others were just moved up onto the rock but I have noticed new "matting" on all of the zoas/paly frags.

Now that I've been feeding the Acans on a consistent basis I've noticed a bunch of new babies sprouting around the outer rim.

Glad you liked to zoas :) They grow like mad for me. Hopefully you'll get the same results. And sooner or later I'll make it over to actually see your tank in person :)

Thanks again Kyle. I hope they grow well for me as well since they are really bright and colorful. I'm glad that I placed them at the top of the rock work since it was looking a little bare up there.

I'd really like to get a nice tabling acro that can handle a fair amount of light/flow. I may see if I can get another nice ORA Pearlberry frag as the one below, from my 20H, was one of my favorites!!

p169033368-4.jpg

Glad to see the tank is doing so well. :)

Thanks Weetie. It's nice to have it at a point where I can slowly but surely start to really enjoy it :) Although it will probably never be exactly how I envision it and I'm sure it will continue to go through it's share of swings, I've tried to be more patient and let things run their natural course with this tank. So far, so good.

Next on the list to acquire = Duncan :wub:

How did you end up solving your algae/sandbed issues?

I think I was away from NR when that got resolved.

I ended up lowing the MP10 and turning up the flow by about 10%. I also added some chaeto behind the rock work, let the Florida Fighting Conch work its magic, and generally let nature do its thing. Things got stirred back up the other day when I forgot to throttle back the output from the Phosban reactor but any diatoms that crop up now quickly disappear within a day or two. I think what happened was that when I moved all of the rock work to the left of the tank, I stirred up some trapped "goodies" and it took a while before the natural bacteria "processed" the excess nutrients.

The other algae just slowly but surely disappeared. I still have one small patch of GHA (not even 1" x 1") but it hasn't gotten bigger. I think, similar to the behavior MonoChrome noticed in his tank, the hermits keep it trimmed like a small patch of grass and keep it as reserve food. It's like those random canned goods that get shuffled around the pantry, never get eaten, but are kept around "just in case." :)

looking good there boss.

Hey stranger!! Thanks for dropping by. Hope all's been well with you.

Heh, I like the canned good theory.

I and many others have experienced very similar problems in our tanks, which is why I was interested in hearing your solution.

So is it your opinion that those with sandbeds should exercise care to not stir them up much at all?

So is it your opinion that those with sandbeds should exercise care to not stir them up much at all?

I think it depends a lot upon how you "care" for the sand bed when the tank is first started. For me, I went with a pretty skimpy CUC and let the sand bed sit when the tank was just getting started. I never stirred and tried not to disturb any of the layers as they were developing. Since I never disturbed it and since I didn't have nassarius and other natural "stirrers" from the beginning, I imagine A LOT of nutrients were trapped.

When I moved the rock and added nassarius, ceriths, and the conch, it released all of the nutrients at once and I believe it overburdened the bacteria, skimmer, and natural balance.

That said, I know several reefers who use a gravel vacuum to stir and remove all of the "stuff" stored in the sand without any issues, but they've done this from the very beginning. I think it also depends on the total water volume, skimmer capacity, amount of live rock and overall sand bed depth.

For me, if I know I'm going to be moving rocks and disturbing the sand bed, I try to either have that coincide with a water change or make the change in smaller, incremental steps.

Looking very sweet Adam. Love that Pearl! Miss mine. :(

Thanks!! I miss mine as well. I actually miss pretty much all of the SPS that I used to have in the 20H. Then again, I don't really miss the dosing and constant parameter chasing ;)

Any suggestions on fish that might be able to hold up to the territorial nature of my female clown? I'd like to get some Trimma or Eviota gobies but I'm fearful they will meet the same demise as the cardinals.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you thought about a shrimp/goby pair? Some type of cool damsel or smaller wrasse.

-D

I've been tossing around a few ideas over the last several weeks but just haven't pulled the trigger on any. I really like the personality, coloration, and swimming behavior of wrasses. Just not sure which species would be suitable for such a small tank.

That and most of my reefing cash has been sucked into stocking up on diapers and buying baby "stuff" :) Speaking of which, here's my wife with the bun in the oven....photographs by me, of course.

p702496301-3.jpg

p768673151-3.jpg

p769145404-3.jpg

lawnmowerblenny

;D lil you gunna be running around haha, your gunna have to set up a tank in the babys room! wish my parents would have done that for me, I was 20 when I first got into aquariums a year and a half ago...

Archived