SaltCritters.com

Chase's 8.4 gallon LED Pico

racechase

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its wilted in orange juice, baked to dry it, then frozen. nummy for the freshwater shrimpies :D

great lol, I should have traded a small portion of my RCS for a crystal shrimp starter colony >_<...now I dont have my 10 gal anymore to raise FW shrimp safely (they're all now in my 40 gal with my goldfish lol and the rest of my community)

Dude thats like compton for shrimp. im lucky to have a nice colony, theyre the only type of shrimp i can keep alive!

well kinda, but the RCS have a big layer of hornwort on top of the tank to hide in. theyre actually breeding quite fine in my 40 gallon too lol! despite all those hungry mouths.

theres bettas in that tank too lmao just to add to their fun:

goldifhs159.jpg

badfish816

i have really wanted some of these for my planted tank. never could talk myself into buying them though.

do it only if you know what youre doing lol. crystal shrimp are an expensive indulgence, i suggest you start with red cherry shrimp and see if those work badfish :)

lol@Trex reference :lol:

badfish816

ya i wanted to do a ten gallon ada shrimp tank. i just couldnt find the funds. especially cause i spend so much in saltwater! lol

honestly i wouldnt base my crystal red start up off of cherries. theyre two totally different shrimp that need totally different parameters. CRS like it cool (<77 degrees) and acidic (<7.0pH) and cherries can tolerate much diff water. if youre serious about CRS i would get a couple low grades to try out first. oh yeah, an easy way to get water perfect for CRS is to collect rainwater. thats all i do to my tank and they love it!

:)

that depends on where you live. rainwater can be very dangerous in big towns and cities where pollution will always be mixed in.

I meant RCS are more hardy that crystal, so i was basing it off of which are easier to keep alive. if you can keep RCS alive then all you will need to do is research crystals for what water they do best in and do everything the same. though I thought all shrimp preferred to be in alkaline water because it holds more calcium/idodine ions(or KH/GHin general) to help build their exoskeleton and molt? low pH and soft water would dissolve their shells like snails no? I need to go research crystals again, excuse me...lol *goes on google*

CRS prefer acid :) my water is 6.2 pH (rainwater buffered with ADA aquasoil) and in my experience, C grade CRS are just as hardy as RCS, but will give you a better gauge if you want to get into higher grades. they'll get most of their ca/iodide from their diet if youre feeding them right

i sell em on plantedtank.net, people love my shrimp :D i have a package if you want to try some. trade for corals? ;)

not yet lol, I do not have a good tank to put them in. i would have to ask my LFS first tho, if they could trade a few of their crystals for some of my RCS..not likely to happen tho lol.

Archived