racechase

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad's omg ancient 95W solder gun...

P1010003-2.jpg

Idk why but these are my 22AWG wires :P

P1010004-2.jpg

And my LED parts all bundled up waiting for a heatsink :)

P1010007.jpg

If I run some 12V computer fans with a 9V power supply, will they just run slower than they would at 12V?

If I run some 12V computer fans with a 9V power supply, will they just run slower than they would at 12V?

Test it out with a 9v battery and see if it works to your liking

what are you planning to drill? I think the only drilling you need is if you decided to mount the heatsink to something...

lol dont look into the light! xD

nah no drilling needed for the LEDs, just thermal glue them onto the heatsink. idk why you even got thermal pads lol, the heatsink wont get even warm with around 6 LEDs.

Buffed heatsink

P1010003-3.jpg

mapping it all out

P1010005-1.jpg

mounted

P1010007-1.jpg

mounted macro

P1010008-2.jpg

all soldered

P1010009-4.jpg

not bad for my first time soldering? :)

P1010012-6.jpg

omg it works :lol:

P1010013-4.jpg

:D

P1010015-2.jpg

lol dont look into the light! xD

nah no drilling needed for the LEDs, just thermal glue them onto the heatsink. idk why you even got thermal pads lol, the heatsink wont get even warm with around 6 LEDs.

Pads are easier than paste :P

Oh yeah, theyre running at about 50% right now i think. idk, its hard to tell a percent from twisting the nob :P

That is a nice solder job! But on how many tries?

well the first one broke off twice, so i had to do that one three times. the other ones were all once :)

lol ya the first is always the biggest pain in the arse.

looks great! now put it on all Blues and see them zoas (and w/e else you have ) glow :D

h/o h/o, FiletOFish, what exactly is happening in your Avatar?

I'm about to venture into a DIY LED project, any pointers soldering will be appreciated.

Its fun :D I actually taped the wired to the heatsink to hold them in place. Once the actual wire was flush with the LED, i pressed the solder to the gun to the melt the solder. If the solder looked funky on the LED, i melted it down a bit with the gun. It was actually pretty easy.

looks great! now put it on all Blues and see them zoas (and w/e else you have ) glow :D

in a van down by the river!!!

I have 3 zoa frags and a tiny acan. I got them from a local yesterday :) Pics forthcoming!

Battery died :( give me a few and i'll recharge. I havent eaten since i woke up i was so excited to build this :P

Archived