Actinic+Whites

P1010004-3.jpg

just actinic

P1010009-5.jpg

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol your camera needs to be set for the awesomeness of the blue lights xD

turn on your actinics, the go to white balance preset on your camera. point your camara on the sand, or w/e else is white in your tank and set the white balance as auto to that object. now youve set your camera to take very accurate actinic shots :)

now do the same white preset thing for your regular tank lighting and behold the epic color

those are eagle eyes, and they look orange/green.

Okay, so i did the WB thing on the sand, but everything looks redish. All shots are under actinic only.

Normal (after WB preset)

P1010002-5.jpg

Blue set to max on camera (after WB preset)

P1010005-2.jpg

Normal (after WB preset)

]P1010004-4.jpg

Blue set to max on camera (after WB preset)

P1010007-3.jpg

those look cool

you set the white balance for each type of lighting (regular and actinic separately) it will start to look red if you set the WB in actinic and the try to take a pic under normal lights lol.

but it looks really nice even the way it is.

while actinics were on did you point the camera at something White IN the tank?

it looks like you got most of the settings right from those pics :P

Yeah i pointed it straight at the sand. Although the sand is kind of speckled with colorful shell pieces and black sand. im still happy with the blue meter turned all the way up :)

Its actually closer to what it looks like with the whites on, but its just actinic :P i'll figure it out!

also, this is how its hooked up to my tank. the glass its resting on is 1/8" and its about an inch off the glass. Do i have to worry about the heat from the LED's shattering the glass and sending the LED to the bottom of my tank? I do not think the glass is tempered, i've cut it a billion times

P1010004-5.jpg

if the LEDs get hot at all, then you have a problem o_o

they can get warm but not scorching hot... anyway the heatsink as large as it is should catch all the heat anyway since LEDs produce most heat on their backside. the heatsink shouldnt even be warm if you got a fan on it.

The heatsink is warm, but i dont have my fans yet. Theyre making their way in from Hong Kong :P Yeah, the LED's are putting out like zero heat on the glass so it should be alright.

I also got my AC20 impeller today. 100x quieter :) I'd hook up the fuge, but i dont have any more salt to make water with :( My salt should be here monday

Some new pics of the new frags..

I got this monti cap frag (about the size of a dime) for free :)

P1010009-6.jpg

Blue ric that is still a bit on the mad side

P1010018-1.jpg

Teeny weeny acan

P1010017-2.jpg

If I run some 12V computer fans with a 9V power supply, will they just run slower than they would at 12V?

Most computer fans push out (nearly their capacity) enough CFM of air at 9V, with only marginal improvements from 10-onwards. You do get more noise at 12V, if that's what you're after, but 9V is more than enough in my exp.

Most computer fans push out (nearly their capacity) enough CFM of air at 9V, with only marginal improvements from 10-onwards. You do get more noise at 12V, if that's what you're after, but 9V is more than enough in my exp.

Thank you kind sir :) I'm off to Radio shack tomorrow to find a fan because I'll already have left for my 2 week Jersey vacay when the Chinese ones get here :(

Wooo! I'm "upgrading" to a 14x14x10 from Advance acrylics when i get back from my trip. Happy graduation to myself :happy: What size return pump should i get, something in the 150gph range?

• 3 weeks later...

Back from my vacay and the tank's doing alright :) Had some major growth in the chaeto/zoa department. The monti cap bleached (even on the sand bed and even though the lights at about 20-30%)

My AA tank comes tuesday, woooo! I'm gona get a 120gph rio pump for the return.

P1010007-6.jpg

P1010009-7.jpg

it doubled in size :o

P1010014-4.jpg

P1010015-3.jpg

badfish816

get some hedge trimmers. lol. i love coming back over a period and seeing a complete change in size in my tank. makes ya feel good.

Archived