ReefCleaners.org

bonese's 40b | revival

bonese

Stupid question - Should I rinse the sand or don't rinse the sand. Garden hose and bucket and a final ro di rinse? Or something else? Or just pour it in the tank?

Got a titanium heater too so we should be ready to fill it as soon as I find out how to rinse the sand.

Thanks gutter appreciate it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put my sand in a bucket and stuck a hose in it for about 15 minutes or better and kept stirring until it ran as clear as possible.

Its not going to be anything crazy or deep just a simple shallow style. I'm still debating if I have the vortechs at the proper heights so I can solidify those wires into place. Also do you need NEED to run the wire straight up or can it be ran from the bottom?

It's like mountain climbing: if the dry-side (you) falls off the tank (mountain) its nice to have a rope keeping you from falling to your demise.

Ah ha so it has nothing todo with the inner workings or magnets of the vortech itself it is just a safety feature? I have coverage around the entire tank in case the dry side falls off. How does the position of the vortech's look?

getting it in the right spot takes some fiddling, once you have it there. you will want the cord going up.

as for sand you don't have to rinse it just makes the water clear a little faster.

Adding water today.

Is it possible to just drip the rodi line straight in the tank then after tank is filled add proper amount of salt? I figured that'd be the cleanest/best way but if for some reason tgat won't work out I'd like to know before I ruin this thing before we even get started.

Tank is looking great!

I premix water and salt in my rubbermaid trash can,get it to the proper salinity, aerate and then add it to the tank.This way im not standing there trying to dissolve the salt in the tank. I have done it the other way too.After filling the tank i dissolve the salt in a glass or plastic bowl,which is submerged in the tank stirring gently till it dissolves,checking salinity as i go.

If i still lived in Bellport id offer to give you a hand. :)

You want water first, then salt!

Haha - Yeah I seem to be good at asking the obvious but I'm into the double checking and asking around.

Your tank is SICK Aquanist love the fish selection.

best way I know of.

I don't need your sarcasm JP I DONT NEED IT! hah

Tank is looking great!

I premix water and salt in my rubbermaid trash can,get it to the proper salinity, aerate and then add it to the tank.This way im not standing there trying to dissolve the salt in the tank. I have done it the other way too.After filling the tank i dissolve the salt in a glass or plastic bowl,which is submerged in the tank stirring gently till it dissolves,checking salinity as i go.

If i still lived in Bellport id offer to give you a hand. :)

!!!Bellport? My girlfriend lives over there. Where were you from? Thanks for the suggestion I'm just filling it up with water than adding the salt.

Following along here because this looks just awesome already.

Spanko - Its all for you.

Hurry up and get this baby ! stocked :P Looking good dude.

Hah thank you mate I think you did a good job on your rockwall. How much actual Liverock or dry rock is on that thing versus the amount of foam used?

Well I fill it today all day most likely and then we wait...forever. Just going to put the water in it, get the water all moving then add the cups of salt. Everything's dead so whatever. Its a beautiful thing to wake up and get to talk about your tank thread, simply beautiful.

bones. tell. what is this joke thing you speak of, I sense a strange yet interesting concept. but some how it seems to elude me. perhaps you can learn me, this, joke...

ok first you need to get your hands on about ten red saddled anthias.

then of coarse a helfrich. followed by mmm... let me think.

Lol I'm scared of anthias and how they beat the #### out of eachother. I do like the helfrich. I have two ORA black and white clowns that have been together for about a year and a half in my NC24.

The red saddles are so nice looking.

red%20saddled%20anthius.jpg

next think blue spot.

D2X_6519.jpg

oh & as to the red saddled there super rare so be careful that there actually what there supposed to be.

the trick for the jaw fish is to set up pvc tunnels. once I put them in he never dug anything again. that particular anthias is kinda like the holly grail crossed with a unicorn. if you do find it they be very expensive.

this is the list I want for my 75, it may give you some ideas

Clowns

Helfrick

Bluespot

Mandarin

Green banded (pair)

Powder blue & yellow tangs

Copperbanded butterfly

McCosker

Midas Blenny

Archived