Cultivated Reef

bonese's 40b | revival

bonese

Whoa it couldn't really be JP, I thought you were gone. Yeah I'm hoping it is right but I am noticing a boom in population of whatever those things are on my glass. I'm hoping its nothing horrible and just an overabundance of bacteria/pods that will slowly kill itself off to equilibrium. The vodka I haven't noticed any + or - effects from using it but it's also very young in this tanks life.

The algae is finally thinning itself out on the section it first started out on so finally some progress is being made on that front. I haven't been able to do anything else with this tank because of this reason as well as the sand. I want things to be right before I go bananas on stocking and ####.

John at RC is still a beast with all the little extras and such and I know this has been said but I really will never go to a different source for a CUC. I also hope these take out the algae as well, Together we will prevail snails.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up Ben? I may need done help with a LED system so I have to talk further with you.

Thanks Criley. That's pretty much the only thing going on right now.

All that I've added is the sand back into it after going bb and also just purchased a frag rack and have some sps acclimating.

There's another reason for the sand clumping but for the life of me I can't remember wait it is.

Calcite precipitation in a newly introduced sand bed. A check of Ph here would also be in order as elevated Ph also promotes calcite precipitation.

Henry! Whats up man?! Indeed it was calcite precipitation from a high ph. I got it down to the proper level after taking that sand out and going BB and now with the new slowly added sand bottom it seems to be much much better.

I added a frag rack, added first frags in 1 year - haha. Currently: 1. ORA Green Birdsnest 2. ORA Purple Rim Green Cap 3. ORA Blue Voodoo Stag 4. ORA Frogskin Acro. I don't know where I should/will place these guys but would ultimately like to find the proper spot for them permanently on the reef.

I will be definitely adding a peppermint shrimp as I seem to have an aptasia outbreak. I have been using Aptasia-X but they are still coming back. Also I want to add some more stuff so most likely tonight I'll have some new frags.

As for my LED, I'm still researching I would like to try to build something as close to an Acan 800 series or something. Trying to get 250 MH out of it. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

• 6 months later...

Tank is still up and running. No new additions and just auto pilot as it seems I've dropped out of the hobby. However these past few weeks I have had a rebirth of motivation so hopefully this will finally be a top notch system.

Going with an Acan 800 fixture. Is it possible for me to get away with a 24" or should I go with the 36" fixture?

Thanks and hopefully I'll finally be back for good.

• 3 years later...

Small update on the current state. Sadly, this system crashed when I was out of the country on vacation. To make a long story short I am going to revive the system and hopefully update and get back on the horse. In time I think I can make something worth while with this so heres to a positive outlook.

I will be back updating and hopefully gathering good conversation and think tanking again.

Good luck! Having a tank crash sucks. I've been there too many times.

Thank you much - It was disheartening and heartbreaking but no use crying over spilled milk. Someone somewhere once said something like ...Tribulations builds character.

I'll be here watching and throwing in my two cents.

Oh my goodness! Henry. I have missed you and so happy you're back in here! The tank was going great and steady for a steady 6 years. I think boredom and lack of motivation led me to overlook things that I should have just taken care of. It really makes me SO happy that you are back in here. Love that familiar names are still on and well.

First order of business - Power wash rocks down. I officially lost a war with vermetid snails. Taking EVERYTHING out of display and replacing. Keeping the sump equipment the same as I have had no real issues with either. Switching out the LED light and going back to the ATI. In time I would like to maybe get the newer T5 LED combo fixtures but have yet to do any form of valuable research. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a great idea, I just came in from the first round and was happily surprised at how excited I was for all of this. As for mixing solution I have just been using straight water no additives until this upcoming round I will be adding the vinegar. The snails are insanely resilient but I am making slow and steady progress. I am really surprised at just how tough these little guys are. Also tweezer and use meticulously looking over and grabbing and manually removing is the best answer I have so far. I am too afraid to use a scrub brush but feel like that may be a option as well perhaps.

I have to SOAK everything I believe and may ask if it wouldn't be a bad idea to fill the tank with untreated water and vinegar and let it run through all of the plumbing and pumps/skimmer when everything is completely clean? I have been trying to figure out a way to get the plumbing all cleaned and ready.

Yup a good cleaning with water and vinegar solution all equipment will remove calcuim deposits too. set tank and equipment up, fill with water and vinegat, run all pumps and let it sit foar a few hours. The longer the better. Then a little scrubbing in toujgh spots and drain and fill eith clean water run again and done. Dont forget to soak heaters too

Awesome this is perfect. I am going to set up the tank as if it was going to be filled with salt put the rock formation back in place and fill. I will add a bunch of vinegar and will just turn everything on and let it go for a few hours/overnight.

What do you think about the LED lights from eco tech? I am interested in LED but wasn't happy with the overall color and growth of the other light so I am scrapping it and going back to straight ATI. Do you think the ATI Powermodule with LED would be a better choice rather than a 24" Radion Pro? I am just thinking of the near future and know myself and wants.

Those are great colonies you've got Henry! I do like LEDs but just wasn't happy with it on my end. It definitely could have been user error and not there fault at all. I am going to start checking out nano box lights, ecotech radion. I may be able to retrofit my old power module with LEDs which may not be a bad option.

I would ultimately like everything hooked up and monitored via the reef link system and all of that technology jazz so I am unsure if that will directly effect the light choice. I figure the Radion will work seamlessly but am curious on the nano box.

For substrate this time I am staying far away from the sugar sand. It just never sat in place and really gave my OCD a run for its money. Im going to go with the Tropic Eden Reef flakes as I have read good things. What are you using for substrate?

How long has that system been up and running? It looks great.

We are underway with the first freshwater + vinegar soak. This tank is thanking me for doing this as this was much needed and terribly overlooked. I need to start formulating my next steps as I would like to move on a quick timeline and just get it complete and underway again.

I am interested in completely automating the entire system this time around. I don't know what that entails exactly but know I will for sure be getting a tunze osmulator if there is nothing new out that is tried and true. I also have never looked into reactors and the like but am interested.

Going to get my LED fixture fixed and rehung up - when the time comes to automate into the eco tech I will slowly convert everything over for right now I am going to get I believe just one mp10 for flow. I found that I was really REALLY over doing that with the mp40 and the double mp10. Finding the perfect spot for the one mp10 will be difficult as the scape will remain completely the same.

Everything is up and running smoothly. I have realized just how much I need to do/tweak so it is a little overwhelming.

As of right now my first order of business is to square away a fixture. I am torn between straight LED or using a T5+LED hybrid fixture. I have heard that the "Future" of lighting is heading toward the hybrid fixture. That being said, I like the LED as it seems to be most popular amongst hobbyist. I also like the lower power consumption and the colors from what I have seen are fantastic.

Choices

1. Ecotech Marine Radion xr30W Pro Gen. 4 w/ Wide Angle TIR Lenses
  2. Nanobox Wide Quad
  3. ATI T5 LED Hybrid

With this update I pretty much am sealing the fate of this tank. It is done. I can't seem to bring myself to fix the issues because I can't justify putting the work and economy into it and still wanting more at the end of the build.

With that being said I am going to upgrade. If there is anyone following along I hope to see you over in my new thread as we can get on track and target for making something really great. I will start the new thread when I get some time to lay everything out proper. I am VERY excited about it lets just say that. Big things have happened, are happening and about to happen in all aspects of life.

Archived