inTank Media Baskets

bonese's 40b | revival

bonese

Update: The rocks are coming along - it has taken me far too log to build a scape but I really want to be happy with it. I have the majority done but need to add some small pieces here and there.

Also tge tank got moved from the basement to the TV room so I more excited now then ever. I won't have to battle cast temp swings and hopefully by next may I'll have a chiller hooked up. All in all I'm very satisfied with the way this is turning out

I hope to be able to share this one with you guys soon as I need some input/knowledge of sps choice placement and maybe even a fish list but I dont want to get ahead of myself

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: Just finished the rockscape and I like how it came out its very "High" in the tank with only 2 points on the ground I will get pictures up soon hopefully.

I need help in finding the perfect sand. Does anyone have any suggestions on which I should use?

Thanks bites that's what I have in my NC24 and I am happy with it so I'll probably stay true to it.

I totally forgot to ask about a recommendation on a heater or 2 smaller ones.

Pictures to come.

well I'm the wrong one too ask. I love my stealth pro's. but every one else runs scared, since there have been so many threads about them going kaboom & taking the tank with them. I don't like to use the more expensive models. since I kind of think of them as disposable, with about a two year life expectancy.

I have a stealth on my other tank as well despite the reputation. It does scare me to know something COULD go wrong with it but I'm either lazy or just focused on the transfer to switch it. I'm thinking about one of those titanium heaters.

I have to hang this light...Not fun.

Glueing the pipes tonight - I never realized how much they sank into one another once you apply the primer and glue. I had to recut a few pieces of piping so that set me back a little bit.

If there are any people interested in helping me pick fish for this I would appreciate it as I'm not too good with picking some interesting stuff.

fish mmm...

for a forty you could do 1 & only 1 tang if you like them. assuming it was small.

then build a population down in size with that in mind.

or pick the least aggressive fish you like & build up. like me I did that off my helfrich.

these would be the ones I like maybe some will strike your fancy. not all will be safe together & not all are reff safe. but their all pretty.

copperbanded butterfly

powder blue tang

yellow tang

mccosker

helfrich

clowns

bluespot

green banded

yasha

mandarin

midas bleny

yellow assessor

lemonpeel

red banded highfin

Picasso trigger

golden dwarf moray

orange card

All of those are good picks - I would like to really have a purple tang but couldn't find it in myself to hear everyone about it. Maybe some wrasse's? All of those looked to require more than 40g so im nervous for that too.

Next I have to find some titanium clamps as they won't rust while on my return line. Almost ready for is to be done as I'm pretty much tired of this build by now.

Any help on how to hang an ATI fixture? Or any fish ideas?

I just started my 40 gal. breeder and vowed to get fish that look good and actually come out, decided on a Candy Hogfish (twin spot hogfish) and a McCkoskers Wrasse. Both are out all the time. They attack my turkey baster feeder and I can walk up to the tank without them diving into a bolt holel.

So far I am very pleased with selection.

overall hanging the light should be rather relaxing, after everything else. I found that home depot had the steal rope & other parts I needed. since my 24" tek is pretty light, I went with toggle bolt ceiling hooks. but you could find studs & mount a board to be safe with a heavier fixture. then hang the fixture anywhere along its length.

The hanging out the light was a lot easier after I figured out how it actually worked with the screws going in the top hat and such. I was looking at it COMPLETELY wrong. Whatever though because it is up hanging straight as can be.

I'm looking into fuge lighting and figured I might as well just have the sump area lit up just to see everything working and such. A clamp on light? Or should I build a little LED strip or something?

Plumbing is all glued up and ready to be glued to the bulk heads.

Tomorrow it seems that all I have to do is just start hooking up the Neptune to the system and making everything look pretty and neat.

I'm sorry if anyone is following this that this happens to be the longest 40B build but its my own pace and my OCD helps keep me going nice and slow. Thats why there is a lack of pictures - If its not perfect it doesn't deserve a picture.

JP - I owe you everything Thanks for hanging in there with me.

lol it hasn't taken that long. my 29 took so long that I started on its upgrade for finishing it. finally have the 75 out of the closet & on a stand. of course the stand wont hold the sump, but details.

as to the plumbing make sure to use unions on, well just below, the bulkheads. you don't want to have to take to hole setup apart if theres an issue with the plumbing. bulkhead-90-union, or something comparable to keep it simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I add the final pictures I'm having a hang up on what to use to clamp the flexible hose from the pump to the plumbing in my return - Stainless steel rusts, Nylon to weak? All the titanium clamps in the size I would need are sold out. Any help is loved at this point.

One clamp will be submerged and one will be out of the water by an inch or so. I'm going to try and find a nylon clamp for under the water. I finally got my Apex online with the email updates and everything - Oh my god it is too good.

I finally got around to finish it off basically and managed to take some pictures. Ask if you want any particular pictures. Before this thread officially is horrible I give you pictures:

All Bulb:

IMG_5383.jpg

Actinic:

IMG_5384.jpg

Daytime:

IMG_5385.jpg

Pipes:

IMG_5392.jpg

Sump:

IMG_5391.jpg

Left Side with mp40W and overflow:

IMG_5378.jpg

Right side with mp10W and return:

IMG_5393.jpg

Right side close:

IMG_5377.jpg

Top Down:

IMG_5404.jpg

Front close:

IMG_5375.jpg

I can't wait to get this really going now. Let me know what you think.

lol. but it looks so good with just rock & shinny glass. is it wrong that I hate the look of sand. I love the stuff but bb is so pretty. anyway that sounds perfect, how deep again. wait we'll see when its in. Duh.

Archived